Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Such big caps make the power supply very slooow...

Also, the voltage regulators don't like such big caps at the output (C805/806/815). This could lead to instabilities like oscillation or heavy overshoot at load variations. My experience is that these players sound better with moderate size caps, about 2x/3x original value maximum. C803/804 may be a bit larger, as they are situated before the regulators. Bigger is not always better!

Ray

I'm aware of the difference in pin settings. In the picture I took I named the regs and pins (7808 IGO ect). Did I install them correct? When I compare it with pictures of the pcb from other users I noticed I placed them different, but can't find out what I did wrong.

Attachments

• cd63 pcb regs drivers Bart.jpg
    cd63 pcb regs drivers Bart.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 166
Well first you'll need to resize your images (Photoshop, Fireworks, Paint Shop Pro, PhotoResize, Gimp etc), then attach them to the forum.

If you're not so handy with a computer maybe the easiest thing is to upload them to a website that will resize and host them for you. Photobucket, Flickr and so on.

or e-mail them to me and I'll resize and attach them for you.

I have 60VA tx, 22000uF +/- before the regs and 220uF after the regs on the servo section. This works very well with less that 0.1V drop on the psu.

Too larger cap on std regulator outputs in particular does slug down the response time of the reg. This is another reason why separating all the rails up helps as you can get away with many small caps.

Brent
Ive used panasonic 22,000 uf 16v and 10,000 uf 35v on my psu super stable as you .01 voltage drop off.
Made my player much better mind i did use a lm340at on the 5v reg next an spower.
sorry for my twopeneth alan

Another Discrete Output Stage with Complementary Feedback Pair report

Hi folks,

it's been a few days I'm listening to my CD-43 with DOS modified with the CFP. I've also changed my 317/337 regs for ultra-low noise regulators, Sjöström's SSR. So I don't know wich of these mods has the bigger effect.

First I want to say that's a huge upgrade, going from NJMxxx in the CD63 to LM4562 is far less impressive. Let's say it's as great as regulated drivers or full reclock.

Bass, deep, fast and strong, that's it, the drums are fine now, no more late and away kick drums. Of course bass guitars are tight and fast. And the slight low mids not right of before is gone.
The overall sound is even more homogenic, and detail of image is imporved, maybe the regs? It seems to have released the details that were held back. On the Subdivisons track of Rush's Signals, the ambient keyboards are no more ambient, in the air, they are a real instrument located precisely. Like I already have the best lenses, and now it's focused, perfectly.

My setup sounds great, just a bit thin and bright, but that's what they say of the TA2024 amp, and that's my amp.I need speakers and amp now, that source is just a wonder, wich is mercyless, showing how bad bad records are, how bright some are and dark some others...

Nice Malefoda! I'm enjoying mine too. By the way, no one has mentioed it but your English has improved a lot. I agree completely how these mods show how awful most recordings are. That is unfortunate... ( I'm saving my euros for a C2 clock sometime later this year) I promise I will sort out this photo thing. I don't know why Simon didn't get them but I will take more and better ones and if he still has the patience, he can post them properly sized. Tonight we are comparing my machine to the unmodded 63 with a VDac.

Last edited:
You are that naughty?! Poor stock CD63, VDac or not... (have a try without the VDac also).
About my english, how that can be? The ONLY place I use it is here, and I've never been in UK or anywhere I could have. I may talk to Sarko's advisors to let kids learn on audio forums then! ;)

Simon and Alan, maybe I'm wrong but seems the XO is still here?

Last edited: