Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Thanks all. I'll hold back on the C2 (which is very expensive anyway) About S'regs; will I hear a difference adding more (I have 6 now)? and what about this issue of letting in the light with a transparent top? It used to be that all light was banished from entering the interior. I assumed it was to prevent external light from perturbing the laser read.

Well Ricardo, if you have long AC leads it'll not do much harm unless they're super-close to critical areas that could pick up noise from them. If you have long DC leads you're going to have a higher impedance supply, though I'm sure it's much less of a concern if you have a local decoupling cap and regulator. Those DC leads could also pick up and spread noise I would think.

Shep - the C2 over C1 would make a bigger difference over additional S Powers, but of course it also costs more! I think your players at a level where the big gains will only come with big changes.

Simon

CD-43

Back from the dead, and back with CFP!
Rear bipolar switch added, close to the end wich is TXs...

Attachments

• CFP.jpg
    CFP.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 191
  • Switch.jpg
    Switch.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 190
Got no reply on my last post, could someone please help me out? Tnks!!

Can anybody please check if I did install the 8v regs the right way? There seems to be a difference between my picture (on the left, before putting in the new caps btw) and Brent's (on the right). Can't figure out what I did wrong though (I put the output towards the ic's)

I used 3x 7808CT and 3x 7908CV

Btw: the player makes a strange sound when powering off. The laser slides back on the rail and there's a distorted sound over the speakers. Wasn't there before. Maybe that gives away a clue? :confused:

Attachments

• cd63 pcb regs drivers Bart.jpg
    cd63 pcb regs drivers Bart.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 176
  • CD63driver1 Brent.JPG
    CD63driver1 Brent.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 164
  • 63 regs schema.jpg
    63 regs schema.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 165
If it works it can't possibly be wired wrong. The sled moving is probably just because you've changed the power supplies and so things shut down in a different order to before. I've noticed some odd things like that, especially on my Arcam Alpha: when I switch off the laser smacks into the stops hard. Good job I only power it off when I leave the house for a few nights.

Tnks for the reply's. I used these for the power supply:

C803/804 Panasonic 10000UF, 35V TSHA
C813/814 Panasonic 22000UF, 16V TSUP (had to put one on a printboard to fit it in)
C815 Rubycon ZL 6800UF, 6.3V
C805/806 Panasonic FM 2200UF, 16V
Also changed the smoother caps to Rubycon ZL 330UF, 16V (+bypass caps)

Played them for +100 hours now but still the players sounds very flat (bass is quite good though). So I suspect I did something wrong with the driver regs. After I installed them the great sound was gone.