Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

I never expected to take it this far. I'll have a good listen after this and decide if it's worth being incremental. This is getting pricey! The one thing I'm hoping for is an increase in bass definition and quality, which is where these players are weak. That and a sweeter, more airy midrange. After that I'm going to address the appearance, which I hate. I want to put wooden cheeks and a plexiglass top. I also have a sheet of lead flashing that I want to use for mass loading (probably on the bottom, although this is tricky due to all the bumps there).

It makes more sense to work on the better player as it will always be one step ahead due to the superior power transformer. You could use the SE as a practice player to hone your skills and test mods and then do them to the better machine afterwards. Alternatively, sell the SE and put the cash into more parts.
Thank you simon,
makes sense need some solid advice which way to go to make good gains tryed emailing you for the volt regs mods for shure im a novice but willing to learn.
alan

CD63, SE, KI, sonically I can't tell the difference.

Are you kidding!! You might have to re address the system you are testing them on.

A std 63 is all over the place, it struggles with more complex music compared to say the KI. Details are not a good and bass has less grip and control.

Brent

Last edited:
Thanks for the speedy replies guys! Nothing from the display or any operation from the players, acts like its dead to the world. Checked both the fuses visually and they both look fine, infact the player is in excellent condition inside and out. Shame it doesn't work!

Adam :)

You need to measure to see if 240V is getting to the tx

Brent

Thanks for the speedy replies guys! Nothing from the display or any operation from the players, acts like its dead to the world. Checked both the fuses visually and they both look fine, infact the player is in excellent condition inside and out. Shame it doesn't work!

Adam :)

OK first, do you have a multimeter? If not, you need to get down to Maplin and get yourself something cheap that measure voltage and resistance. Also, download the service manual with the circuit diagram from Ray's site (check the 1st post in this thread for a link to his site).

You need to establish which voltage rails are working (if any) and which ones are not. Also, although those glass fuses look fine, you need to measure them with the meter.