Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Simon, I used to glue a coin on the magnet (puck) if it was noisy or shakey, but this time it didn't work. Then I remembered an idea you had some time ago about filling it with hot glue. Worked a treat, so from now on glue (you don't have to worry about centering either as it is liquid). I thought I would mention this as a lot of people may not know. It is a very good tip. Thanks

I also thought that Ian. I'd NOT buy it, just in case it's a fake. All you have to do is buy a single crown for, what, £25(?) and somehow paint the extra crown on. Nobody will ever know as the SQ difference is surely small enough to be heard with your brain and not ears so you'd never really be sure. I'm happy with my non-crown Taiwan chip, sounds stunning :D

I asked the question of the seller. This was his comprehensive reply.

Hi Ian

Thanks for your enquiry, you are right to ask of course. There are a few S1 twin crowns only I believe, manufactured in Holland. The S2 is Taiwanese production.

Provenance is I used to be Technical Manager for Marantz UK between 1992 to 1998. Ken Ishiwata, senior designer (you may have heard of him) handed me a couple of these when they were first available. I always intended to build a double differential output stage as used in the CD-94II, but never got around to it. Hence the sale.

A bit of background - part of my role at my time with Marantz was to assist with the development of their Special/Limited edition models for the UK market. Therefore doing the required modification work and setting up listening tests along with Ken.

Hope that helps.. Of course any more queries, please feel free to ask.

Kind regards

Nigel

He seems to know enough about what they actually are. I wonder if Ken himself actually handed the TDA to him?? Would be nice to think he did.............

I remember hearing a similar story a year ago or so, some guy claiming he was technical manager... Dont remember in what context though. Maybe worth while further investigating though.

Further, the s2 is naturally a subset of the s1. Amongst earlier s1's are also chips that qualify for s2 specs. Doesnt explain though why a second crown was printed on it, and also not why the print is odd...

I am sceptical...