Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Merry Christmas to you all!

May I speak of CDP in these times of religion and christian rites?
I do!
A well modded* CD-43 vs a stock CD-53:
It's better but less than I'd expected. Or as far as I can hear it's just better. I wonder if I even can hear any difference between a CD-63 and a 63 SE...
By better: like the same behaviour but a veil impacting detail and space has been removed, some harsness also. But still on the smooth side, not on the "in your face" side.

Of CDPs and Men:
in what system may a CD-43 be used, the answer was in a budget one,
in what "level" of system may a CD-43 modded be at ease, as I hold for now that it's the systems wich won't let see what it can do in its new state.
Maybe I'm wrong and the CDPs just do few in the whole system, but I can remember I've seen new lands with high-end vaccum headphones amp and Grado headphones as when shifted from the worst Arcam integrated to a very good chinese tank.

If possible people with experience in amp/speakers dpt. make a "system target" for this kind of player if was a real product in shop? Or what stuff the player is linked to and allowed you to see these "huge" improvments?

*mods are custom Flea and flipflop for DAC & Servo reclock, dedicated PSU and nicely fitted LM317s at DAC's Analog, clock ref, Digital, Decoder's Digital and Analog, HF amp, 317/337 for drivers, Discrete Output Stage with 2x 317/337, BG at analog parts and ZL & FM around, close bypasses at ICs.

Sorry I have to leave to go to church,
Matthieu

I have an unusually technical question (for me).

In the cd63, is the data output from the SAA7345 decoder left or right justified? I'm struggling to find the info from the datasheets.

I'm looking at fitting a PMD digital filter + TDA1541A dac into my cd63. Hopefully over xmas I'll have some time to play around with it.

Cheers, Lee.

AFAIK, standard I2S is left-justified. See the piece of text from the I2S-bus specification. MSB has a fixed position, and LSB is more or less 'floating' and depends on the word length. If it would be right-justified, this wouldn't be possible. It also states the 'MSB is sent one clock period after WS change', so it must be left :)

Can't imagine Marantz used EIAJ format...

Regards,

Ray

Attachments

• I2S.gif
    I2S.gif
    21.3 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Excellent, thanks a lot Ray. I was thinking it was left justified, but that has made it pretty clear.

Looking at the datasheet for the decoder, it looks like it can also be used as a digital filter, so I may give that a try too:)

I'll keep you all posted on any progress, or lack of, lol.

Merry xmas, Lee.

Excellent, thanks a lot Ray. I was thinking it was left justified, but that has made it pretty clear.

Looking at the datasheet for the decoder, it looks like it can also be used as a digital filter, so I may give that a try too:)

I'll keep you all posted on any progress, or lack of, lol.

Merry xmas, Lee.

It can, the decoder's oversampling function is not used in these players as it is done in the DAC. It's difficult to enable it, as this is done by the microcontroller. But don't expect too much of it, there's a reason they didn't use it :)

Reminds me of the first time I was tinkering with these players. I was measuring the bitclock and got 2.1168MHz, and I was like, huh? That's not 32*Fs, or 64*Fs, but 48*Fs, that doesn't make sense?? That doesn't match the 16 bit I2S output mode. Seems it just outputs 24 bits per word, and the DAC is set to 64*Fs, expecting 32 bits words, but because it's left-justified, it doesn't matter :clown:

Ray

Last edited:
It can, the decoder's oversampling function is not used in these players as it is done in the DAC. It's difficult to enable it, as this is done by the microcontroller. But don't expect too much of it, there's a reason they didn't use it :)

Reminds me of the first time I was tinkering with these players. I was measuring the bitclock and got 2.1168MHz, and I was like, huh? That's not 32*Fs, or 64*Fs, but 48*Fs, that doesn't make sense?? That doesn't match the 16 bit I2S output mode. Seems it just outputs 24 bits per word, and the DAC is set to 64*Fs, expecting 32 bits words, but because it's left-justified, it doesn't matter :clown:

Ray

I had a better read through the datasheet earlier and realised that I wouldn't be using the decoder as the digital filter, lol.

The datasheet isn't clear on how to use different clock frequencies though. As far as I can tell, it'll just work with any frequency between 8 & 35MHz. I'll need 11.2896MHz for the tda1541a.

I won't be able to do anything for a few days anyway so when I do I'll just have a play about and see if I can get it working.

Have a good one all, Lee.