Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Andre Visser said:

Ultimately every piece of equipment including cables count, even the best CD player can't perform without the rest of the system being able to preserve and reproduce its signals.

André

Hi André

I do agree with you.

What I meant was at the stage of my equipment the biggest gains per £ invested are initially with the source when you start with a stock CD63.

Jim

RCruz said:

Hi Brent

Can you please explain the comment "they even do level paths like we do"

Ricardo

Well they have have done CD63 mods for probably 10 years, they have had a way of modding it where they fit loads of small BG around the opamps, used OPA2604 (yuck), and a few other mods which they have now scrapped and appear to do it in exactly the same way we do it using the same or similar caps. For example they never addressed anything around the servo and now offer levels 1 -3 as we do LOL

The Servo clock was added to the player I have here because I told the customer to get it done while it was in being repaired after it came back faulty (twice lol).

Brent

Andre Visser said:

Ultimately every piece of equipment including cables count, even the best CD player can't perform without the rest of the system being able to preserve and reproduce its signals.

André
God yes with out a doubt, my mains cable , filters , speaker cables and interconnects come to more than £2K and worth every penny. I actually want to upgrade some bits but the costs are high.

You hear the improvement more when the system is of a higher level. I always tell people that good or expensive cables don't make the sound better poor ones degrade it. :soapbox:

Brent

jimh0612 said:
What I meant was at the stage of my equipment the biggest gains per £ invested are initially with the source when you start with a stock CD63.

That's quite true, there is a lot to be gained by these mods. ;)

Here is the reason for my remark, I've come across two groups in the past, the one claim that the source is important, the rest doesn't matter and the other group say that the speakers are important, the rest make no difference.

I believe that one weak link in the chain affect every component in the system.

André

Andre Visser said:
Here is the reason for my remark, I've come across two groups in the past, the one claim that the source is important, the rest doesn't matter and the other group say that the speakers are important, the rest make no difference.

I agree it's all important. At the UK meet we had some of these people last year, judging by the equipment brought - loads of lovely amps and many fantastic speakers - NOT ONE modified or otherwise high-end source!!! It will change this year, if there is a UK meet this year. Nothing sounded very special - everything had the trademark congestion and white noise treble associated with a poor digital source, even if some designs shone through, somehow.

Simon

SimontY said:
Nothing sounded very special - everything had the trademark congestion and white noise treble associated with a poor digital source, even if some designs shone through, somehow.

Simon

Maybe they have read to much from "the audio critic", some wise*** there claimed that all CD players sound the same, perhaps excluding some of the very old ones with 14bit DACs. :eek:

André

Andre Visser said:

Maybe they have read to much from "the audio critic", some wise*** there claimed that all CD players sound the same, perhaps excluding some of the very old ones with 14bit DACs. :eek:

André

To be fair people brought lovely things they'd made and not many can or would think to build a source component.

The Audio Critic must be written by complete idiots then. Why don't they do some blind listening tests, that is valid enough for any wanna-be "scientist", and you can certainly hear two players apart in this way.

Simon

Joined 2006
Paid Member
SimontY said:
I read it as possibly re-using the post-regulator caps in addition to the local decoupling caps.

We shall see... :scratch2:
Exactly, I meant, moving the sregs near the opamps but keeping the 470uFBG on the sregs outputs.

Actually I was thinking to re-use those 470uFBG actually on C805 C806.

rowemeister said:
Hence adding extra caps! (to the regs).

Not adding extra caps.... just moving them nearer to the opamps.

Maybe I do not need them because I already have the 220uFBG on the opamps...:scratch: :scratch1: