Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

I've played some reggae, Elton John, Diana Krall and more - every time it's the same story. I have less bass weight but the sound is more controlled and detailed than before.

The double bass on Krall's title song is now more of a background instrument rather than something that powerfully drives the piece forwards.

What does Lee have to say about this? Lee who so strongly endorsed these caps in this player.... :D

Joined 2006
Paid Member
rowemeister said:
I'm sure it will all be fine ;) I have full confidence in you.:smash:

Hi Brent

Yesterday I felt very confident, opened the CDP, installed the C1 clock on the servo and replaced C805 C806 by 470uF BG.

The clock modd is incredible. Trebble is now much more defined and smooth.
Voices are much more real and classic guitar is lifelike.

I seem to have lost a bit of low bass (C805 806 was 10.000uF CapXon and now 470uF BG) but bass definition is much better.

I believe my CDP is finally a high end machine.

Next will be the discrete output powered by some spower.

Regards

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Servo Clock

Malefoda said:

Yes you took my rank! Anyway the second is already not bad ;)
Hi Matthieu

You must try this modd in your CD53.

Dac clock provides timing, stereo image and stage depth / width, instrument placement and size.

Servo clock gives infinitesimal detail, very noticeable in the trebble but present everywhere. The bass is now much better.

Regards

Ricardo

Re: Servo Clock

RCruz said:
Dac clock provides timing, stereo image and stage depth / width, instrument placement and size.

Servo clock gives infinitesimal detail, very noticeable in the treble but present everywhere.

Exactly! The treble is really accurate when the servo IC is fed from two additional regs too. Mine are boggo 7805s running off the +20v rail, but I plan to feed them from a dedicated tx and psu at some future point! That mod won't break anything as the pcb can stay put... ;)

Simon

Joined 2006
Paid Member
SimontY said:

The final pieces of the puzzle? :D

Certainly the most important ones after what you've already done.

Hi Simon

I seem to have aquired the strangest desease... I can not stop modding but everytime I open the CDP, I break something.

I intended to replace the sregs for new +-15 volt ones but this time I "lifted" the tracks below the +12v sreg.

I know the next time I touch this part of the player, it will stop for good, so I must overide these +-12v sregs and the best option is to place some discrete outputs powered by local spowers.

Ricardo

Re: Servo Clock

RCruz said:

Hi Matthieu

You must try this modd in your CD53.

Servo clock gives infinitesimal detail, very noticeable in the trebble but present everywhere. The bass is now much better.

Regards

Ricardo

What kind of cheap clock may I use there??

RCruz said:

Hi Simon

Do you use some kind of external PSU ?

Maybe that is why your CDP looks so clean (compared to mine).

Ricardo

Yes Ricardo, five external psus. Two for my clocks, one for DAC analogue, one for DAC digital and one for DAC clock reference. Two of these are shared with the decoder feeds.

The DAC analogue is the best - a fairly large, dedicated toroid with 15000uF of smoothing.

I'm looking to move some of them inside the player to combat the slight hum & noise problem I sometimes hear. It's complex.

Simon

Joined 2006
Paid Member
SimontY said:

Yes Ricardo, five external psus. Two for my clocks, one for DAC analogue, one for DAC digital and one for DAC clock reference. Two of these are shared with the decoder feeds.

The DAC analogue is the best - a fairly large, dedicated toroid with 15000uF of smoothing.

I'm looking to move some of them inside the player to combat the slight hum & noise problem I sometimes hear. It's complex.

Hi Simon

I would like to see your work... can you post some pictures of the PSU ?

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
rowemeister said:
How it sounding now Ricardo?

Hi Brent

Sounds wonderfull..... 1 year ago I did not totally believe this was possible.

Thank you for your help and outstanding work.

Note:

I have been looking at your CDP pictures and would like to know what type of glue (black blobs) you are using to secure things inside the player.

After last mod, my +12v sreg is soldered but not fixed at all (pad lifting at it´s best)

Regards

Ricardo