Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Joined 2006
Paid Member
rowemeister said:
The latest 320d have 168bhp and very quick......

Look at my latest mods list and you will see where I have put the coax. I also cut the track underneath so the signal only travels through the coax.

The coax mods are for the RF signal and clock lines from dac to decoder etc. It eliminates all the tracks that carry these signals thus removing noise passed on and also received.

The first one to do is the RF signal from RF pcb to decoder ic. It adds a little more control and detail to proceedings a little like adding a clock.

Hi Brent
Using coax, I believe I must wire it as it was carrying analog signal so I must ground the external mesh to ground only on one side of the wire.

Normally, the ground is made on the end where the signal enters the cable (In my turntable, the ground is on the pickup end so there is no ground on the preamp end).

In this case where should I ground the mesh on the RF pcb side ?

Regards

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Pad lifting

Just bought some drills but only could get 0.8mm and 1.2mm diameter.

Should I open the caps holes from the circuit side or from the components side ?

Can I use the bigger drill ?

I am afraid 1.2mm is too much and maybe I will loose some precious copper :xeye:

Ricardo

PS removing the opamp resistors made a BIG difference..:worship:

Replacing R509 by a 2,21Kohm 0,1% 0,25w RC55Y Metal Film also improves detail radically.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: Re: Pad lifting

Malefoda said:

Wich resistors to remove? The ones form Ray's list? And I Can't find R509 wich is not in Ray's list and have not been changed in my CD53...
Hi Matthieu

We where talking about R613 614 615 616.

I have good opamps fitted and a dedicated PSU for them.

After I replaced these resistors by a wire (shunt), I noticed better leading edge attack, better separation, big bass gains.

In the HF amp, I replaced the R509 by a precision 2,21Kohm 0,1% 0,25w RC55Y Metal Film and I got much better detail.

Regards

Ricardo

Hi Ricardo,
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

you mean remove the 1mH things in pack of 2 just before the HDAM area?
I've done Ray's early times list, is it a concern? I mean will it disturbe the way we did change the original values or is it just something in the opamps' power supply quality? May I do it with my Rubycon ZL>Raygulators>Pana FC and BlackGates around?

Thanks, I think I'll go for R shape tx mods (5 & 12V) for next winter, vibrapod feet, maybe a pack of Brent Regs (+/-15V Brent, have you that?) and another dedicated R tx for my integrated pre-amp...

Matthieu

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Malefoda said:
Hi Ricardo,
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

you mean remove the 1mH things in pack of 2 just before the HDAM area?
I've done Ray's early times list, is it a concern? I mean will it disturbe the way we did change the original values or is it just something in the opamps' power supply quality? May I do it with my Rubycon ZL>Raygulators>Pana FC and BlackGates around?

Thanks, I think I'll go for R shape tx mods (5 & 12V) for next winter, vibrapod feet, maybe a pack of Brent Regs (+/-15V Brent, have you that?) and another dedicated R tx for my integrated pre-amp...

Matthieu

Do not just remove the coils... replace them with a shunt.

You can even experiment just by short them so you can decide on the improvements.

I believe the coils are there to improve SN ratio when using the stock PSU.

I have the same setup as yours (LM4562 + 220uF BG) and the results are incredible without the coils in the way of +-12vpsu.

As I have a very good analog psu with a 30va tx and 4x10.000uF smoothing caps, I can really notice a BIG improvement.

Even better is to place the Brent regs in place of the coils...:wiz:

I will do that later.

Ricardo

RCruz said:

Very nice Brent

Any particular reason to use this Kimber coax ?

Is it good to work with ?

Hope you can give us a feedback on the sound improvements.

Ricardo

I already had the Kimber lead so decided to use it. It uses high purity copper with better insulation material. It is actually harder to work with than the other coax I used as it is a bit thicker.

Brent

RCruz said:

Where is the sreg that I have seen in the analog dac psu?

This is an old picture ;)

So I keep the CDP in this state until I've made up my mind. I still struggle to try to figure what is the best system upgrade and not CDP upgrade. For the CDP; 3 SRegs (+/-12V, +5V Digit), 2 RShape TX & matching Caps, for my integrated 2 SReg , TX & Caps, for my Speakers some real stands: too much money said like that.
I may go for such monster improvment first:
http://www.jm-reynaud.com/jmr_us/euterpe.html

or buy a chinese valve pre-amp...

Wait & see, right now my room is a pain, the speakers as good as a Quad 11L can be when upgraded (and maybe need to be adjusted with a 1R8 resistor instead of 1R5 for tweeter)...

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Star GND rules

Gentlemen

Some pics with my new star gnd.

Wires are kimber.

Attachments

• p1010014 (small).jpg
    p1010014 (small).jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 267