Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Still have to figure out how to mount those output caps...

Lee.

Thomo,

Blimey!!! Think there's more than your caps that you need to think about!
Nice to see all those mods, but surely the positioning of components and cabling is going to cause some ill effect on the sound quality, namely the interference produced on the Digital feed!?

But being that your a 'Paolo Nutini' fan, I'd expect that!

Can't wait to see the photos once you've mounted those caps!

delphiplasma said:

Blimey!!! Think there's more than your caps that you need to think about!
Nice to see all those mods, but surely the positioning of components and cabling is going to cause some ill effect on the sound quality, namely the interference produced on the Digital feed!?

But being that your a 'Paolo Nutini' fan, I'd expect that!

Can't wait to see the photos once you've mounted those caps!

Thanks for the informative and encouraging reply. And what's wrong with Paolo Nutini? Admittedly he's not in the same league as Elton John, but it's enjoyable non-the-less.

Lee.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
SimontY said:

2.0 Mondeo - trumped! lol

I work in the major Fleet Company here and have been using Mondeos for the past 5 years.

These where all 2.0Diesel with a lot of torque so they could "eat" 320d and A4 2.0d. easily.

Two months ago the company changed all free cars and I have the Mondeo last model 2.0Diesel and it really stinks.

No torque and the biggest turbo lag I ever new.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thomo said:
Nice one Brent. I just realised that I haven't done the coax mod! Time to get that sorted then.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Still have to figure out how to mount those output caps...

This looks very good sounding.....

What coax mods are refering to ?

I saw some pics with coax but did not understand where they are placed.... Is it a must ?

RCruz said:
These where all 2.0Diesel with a lot of torque so they could "eat" 320d and A4 2.0d. easily.

That's probably only because BMWs and Audis are so heavy. And are you sure the good Mondys weren't using the 2.2 TDCi engine? These have 155bhp. My next car will be a 325 petrol ;)

And back to CD players...

RCruz said:
What coax mods are refering to?

Using coaxial wire to "bypass" sections of PCB track, thus reducing resistance and improving immunity to noise etc. The most critical length is said to be the "HF" signal from the transport board to the main PCB. This one's done on mine and it's a worthwhile mod, improving the treble clarity and smoothness. It has a vaguely similar effect to reclocking the servo, but less pronounced and without the huge detail gains.

Actually, it's not that much like reclocking the servo :smash:

Simon

The latest 320d have 168bhp and very quick......

Look at my latest mods list and you will see where I have put the coax. I also cut the track underneath so the signal only travels through the coax.

The coax mods are for the RF signal and clock lines from dac to decoder etc. It eliminates all the tracks that carry these signals thus removing noise passed on and also received.

The first one to do is the RF signal from RF pcb to decoder ic. It adds a little more control and detail to proceedings a little like adding a clock.

Brent

:wave2:

Here's where I'm typing and listening...

Attachments

• newdrivers.jpg
    newdrivers.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 255
LOL, ok then. I'm listening to my JVCs I stole from the dump site, with £30 worth of drivers (all three in each upgraded - 1" Wharfedale, 4" Audax poly (run FR), 8" Wharfedale (run FR)), fed from LM3886 dual mono chip amp, Rod Elliott preamp and heavily modified CD63KI.

Ramsey Lewis Trio is playing and my beer was Excelsior - mmmmm.

I think my point here is that however crap your room and cheap your speakers, a good source seems to get the music through! And - believe me - this is making quite good music! Lots of life and detail at low levels.

Attachments

• at chair.jpg
    at chair.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 246