Joined 2006
Paid Member
Another one....

Attachments

• copy of p1010012 (small).jpg
    copy of p1010012 (small).jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 261
Malefoda,

I remember years ago there use to be numerous discussions regarding the quality of the separate mains earth lines. Most earth lines in a house have a lot of noise on it and also a small residual mains voltage.

It was always advocated to make your own earth by putting a steel rod in your back garden. It was said to be beneficial to use this to earth equipment that didn't have a separate earth. I'm not sure what the improvements were, but no harm in trying?

Saying all that, I wouldn't want to be in your house during a thunderstorm!

In France each house uses a dedicated Earth. And it's very easy for me to have a copper stick or even several deep in earth and just linked to my -very near to come but still that pain to setup- dedicated music room. If this and star ground in CDP linked to that dedicated earth is a real improvement then I'll have to do it, cheap but bothering...

Hi,
Running seperate earth rods is not a good idea form a safety point of view. By using seperate rods in different places you can setup voltages in the earth and thus causing faulty safety device (RCD) operation.
Generally speaking, whether you have a TT, TN-S etc type supply, your earth resistance will be pretty low. Some TN-S type systems regularly exhibit earth loops in the low 0.? ohms region. Earth rods can be higher.
A copper earth mat can yield lower earth resistances if used but are costly, so..
Thanks
Gareth

Hi,
Edit to above : You can have a clean earth system like what is used with large computer systems etc. I have been meaning to try this but I haven't yet. With a clean earth, the earth conductors in the ring (general wiring configuration for most homes, except in France where I think each room is wired as a radial) the earth conductors are kept seperate from each other to enable seperate earth paths. This enables cleaner supplies for rooms/larger systems.

Thanks
Gareth

Joined 2006
Paid Member
rowemeister said:
All true but we were originally talking about star gnd internally of the cd player, lets not get to carried away.;)

Thank you Brent

I did not wire my star earth to the mains GND.

Should I do it or can I have normal improvements just by centralizing the earths inside the player.

I used to build valv amps in the past and they must have a star earth or hum problems appear.

Ricardo