Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Jim, I would put those two fk's on the dac digital rails - cd05, cd06.

I have just swapped two pana fc's after the rectifier on my dac analog supply for 2200uF 35v BG FK, and got good gains. I also have two of those in a similar position on the digital supply.

I have also just swapped the 470uF std's on the discrete for 220uF FK's. This really made a big difference, I didn't think it would. There's now a load more power, detail & separation, but it's so in yer face, I'm not sure I'll be able to live with it for long.

How much current does ray's discrete use? I'm wondering if 470uF fk's might be a bit smoother.

I once tried them with various opamps but really didn't like them.

Have you done any recent mods or has it just stopped?

If you've just done a mod then that's the obvious place to check first.

I don't know what the answer will be, but commonly the ribbon connector causes problems.

The more technical minded will be able to help you, but if all else fails, Brent gets his lasers from CPC, VAM 1202 or something like that.

Sorry can't be much help, but good luck.

Jim

Colin, that sounds like a dead laser to me. Especially if it's untouched inside.

Jim, I would stick two of those 470's on servo, two on dac analog and four on the opamps, with the FK's on dac digital. If you already have really good caps on the servo then I would leave it for now. There's always the hf amp and decoder too:D

Regards, Lee.

colin.hepburn2 said:
Hi Lee
Dead laser
Yep that’s what I had thought would just replacing it with new one work ok or would replacing it damage the new one what may be the clues for a laser to go dead it was just playing away fine

Hi Colin

No they usually just give up the ghost - fine one day, dead the next. It's unlikely to damage a new one, but I can't say for sure.

try CPC online - about £15 I think.

Jim

Thomo said:
Jim, I would stick two of those 470's on servo, two on dac analog and four on the opamps, with the FK's on dac digital. If you already have really good caps on the servo then I would leave it for now. There's always the hf amp and decoder too:D

Regards, Lee.

Hi Lee

DAC analogue is CD15/16, right?

Opamps done last night - see my earlier post.

Servo still bog standard as yet....

Decoder still standard yet - got Elna RJH's for it but not done yet. What you think?

Jim

Colin.

Not sure.

Don't think so.

The CPC replacement is just the mechanism, ie the sled, motors and pickup.

As it's a fairly universal mech used by many manufacturers I think the loading tray etc are unique to each one, so unless you try Marantz themselves.......

Bear in mind the age of the CD67 as well.....

Good luck mate.

P.S.You won't regret doing the mods from Ray's list!

Jim

Hi Colin

No probs.

You will need to do some disassembly of the existing mech but it doesn't need any special alignment tools - the servos sort all that out for you.

It can be fiddly. There is a link in a recent post for instructions - try a search of this thread and you should find it. Unfortunately it's a common fault.

Jim

Thanks lads
Yes I have had a Marantz CD52mkII SE from new and it still running good the Orly mode I did to it was removing the mute Trans and bypassed the main psu Caps I have had the CD67 7 days got it cheap thou with the plan to do rays modes on it perhaps it best the laser went now rather than later
Cheers for the help lads

jimh0612 said:

Hi Lee

DAC analogue is CD15/16, right?

Opamps done last night - see my earlier post.

Servo still bog standard as yet....

Decoder still standard yet - got Elna RJH's for it but not done yet. What you think?

Jim

Yup, CD15/16. Just remember to remove CD12/13.

Personally, I would say that the servo will give better gains, so I'd stick BG's there and the Elna's on the decoder.

As for the STD/FK placement. Why not try both and see which you like best?

Cheers, Lee.

Update no disc error code 02

Hi Lads
Update no disc error code 02
P.00 nothing P01 lased moves ticking sound P02 fast spinning disc and ticking P03 fast spinning raped ticking and laser movement
Last night I ran the 67 in serves mode again same as above but some time the disc would run back and forth in a bark room there is a visible cherry red glow from the laser the thoughts were that the laser had died in last posts but if its still glowing that’s a good sign isn’t it anyone got any thouths on this
Cheers
Colin

Hi Colin.

I had similar problems with my CD53. First time it was the ribbon cable, I think. I took it off and put it back in place several times which after I turned it over and player started to play. The second time for some reason I tapped laser lens a bit, I think I tried if the lens is moving without problems because of the ticking sound, but it worked and player still works fine. I think the laser is going bad in short time and I have to start looking for replacement.

-Antti

Hi Colin

AFAIK the laser gets weaker over time and eventually gets too weak to be read after reflecting back from the disc surface.

You would still see a glow, but I'm not sure how strong is strong enough, if you get my meaning.

Now we're talking about it I think Brent once posted about adjusting the laser to make it stronger, but I don't know how successful it can be, and it's only a matter of time before it goes again.

Jim