Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

SimontY said:
Cool looking board Lee! Have you installed it yet? What are the LEDs for?

I agree fully with your assessment of the LM4562 sound character. Good but doesn't gel in all systems.

I will be installing it tomorrow I think ;)
The led's are for the voltage drop across the LM317t's. I think they're supposed to be far quieter than resistors or zeners they're a variant of Ray's SuperRaygulator's (I think). They will be fed from 2 x 12v windings on another tx, which will make three + the original tx.

I think I may be able to use the opamps with some smoother caps, as the FK are quite dry sounding anyhow. I may stick Silmics with them to try and get the extra detail of the chips with some of the warmth/smoothness that I need.

avr300, I will get back to you very soon about postage costs. It won't be much but I'll find out a figure.

Night all,

Lee.

rowemeister said:
Sounding very open and full of dynamics now mate, you will be pleased.

Brent

I'm coming for it tomorrow morning :D

Thomo said:
I will be installing it tomorrow I think ;)
The led's are for the voltage drop across the LM317t's. I think they're supposed to be far quieter than resistors or zeners they're a variant of Ray's SuperRaygulator's (I think). They will be fed from 2 x 12v windings on another tx, which will make three + the original tx.

I think I may be able to use the opamps with some smoother caps, as the FK are quite dry sounding anyhow. I may stick Silmics with them to try and get the extra detail of the chips with some of the warmth/smoothness that I need.

Some interesting ideas. I'd love to hear how you get on with the regulators. I like extra regs, and clocks, and Black Gates :D

rowemeister said:
Whats a matter Lee have you run out of BG STD :D

Brent

LOL. No, I have one left.

I also like those things Simon. A mate has given me another Superclock II as a thank you for putting him onto a fantastic deal. So I will soon be having that converted for use on the servo.

I have decided to put these regs into my new '63. A friend is buying my heavily modded CD67 off me and i'm keeping the 63.

And more Black Gates will be on the way very shortly if you want some Simon:D

Lee.

Hi Marcus

Like you I'm no expert so I checked the voltages before installing the regs. To do this I used 2 wires about 20cm long, twisted tightly together. The red went from U236 to the input of the reg and the black from U160 to the adjust of the reg. (I have a CD 63 KI BTW)
The reg output was a lead trimmed from a replacement capacitor after installation, which was soldered so it pointed straight down from the reg.
If you use a large blob of Blutack or similar to hold the reg away from the CDP while you check, switch on the CDP then touch the red lead of your meter to the output lead of the reg board and the black lead of the meter to U160 you should get 5.15v like I did. If this works OK then switch off, unplug from the mains!! and then install your regs.

I used resistors in the Raygulators for the 5v rails. As long as R2 is 3times bigger than R1 then it will be near to 5v. So, I used R1 at 330 ohms and R2 at 1k ohms and got 5.15v which is near enough.

I believe that its important to make sure you get the same voltages from all the regs so use the same value resistors.

I copied these values from one of the posts on this site

3v R1=100 ohm R2=140 ohm
5v R1=100 ohm R2=300 ohm
12v R1=100 ohm R2=860 ohm
15v R1=100 ohm R2=1.1k ohm

If you want to use diodes then I can't help you yet. I tried the SuperRayreg but couldnt get it working properly at the time so just did 4 basic regs so I had something to listen to. I felt it was a good improvement. Tell me what you think.

When I get the super versions working I'll let you know.

Jim

jimh0612 said:
Hi Marcus

Like you I'm no expert so I checked the voltages before installing the regs. To do this I used 2 wires about 20cm long, twisted tightly together. The red went from U236 to the input of the reg and the black from U160 to the adjust of the reg. (I have a CD 63 KI BTW)
The reg output was a lead trimmed from a replacement capacitor after installation, which was soldered so it pointed straight down from the reg.
If you use a large blob of Blutack or similar to hold the reg away from the CDP while you check, switch on the CDP then touch the red lead of your meter to the output lead of the reg board and the black lead of the meter to U160 you should get 5.15v like I did. If this works OK then switch off, unplug from the mains!! and then install your regs.

I used resistors in the Raygulators for the 5v rails. As long as R2 is 3times bigger than R1 then it will be near to 5v. So, I used R1 at 330 ohms and R2 at 1k ohms and got 5.15v which is near enough.

I believe that its important to make sure you get the same voltages from all the regs so use the same value resistors.

I copied these values from one of the posts on this site

3v R1=100 ohm R2=140 ohm
5v R1=100 ohm R2=300 ohm
12v R1=100 ohm R2=860 ohm
15v R1=100 ohm R2=1.1k ohm

If you want to use diodes then I can't help you yet. I tried the SuperRayreg but couldnt get it working properly at the time so just did 4 basic regs so I had something to listen to. I felt it was a good improvement. Tell me what you think.

When I get the super versions working I'll let you know.

Jim

Hi jim thanks for the mail and msg, I couldn't get the voltage regulators to work properly i am not sure what went wrong and am still checking on it.

however i recently gotten myself a new DAC, so been playing ard with it.

jimh0612 said:
Hi Simon

Just read your post - been surfing for speakers - fancying Quad 11L's but really need to hear some.

Nope, didn't get to the meet, maybe the next one.

How did it go? Did you do your Brent/Simon comparison there and whose player was the most popular?

Jim

I've heard nothing but good things about Quads but I don't recall ever hearing any.

The meet was great but there were no modded CD63s! Mine was broken and Brent was away with his wife somewhere (excuses, excuses!)

In fact I didn't hear any good sources at all. There were loads of fantastic DIY speakers and amps though.

Andy Poynton was there. Just as dry sense of humour in real life hehe