Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Thomo said:

To check the output voltage:

connect the voltage in to wherever you are taking the input voltage from
connect the regs ground to a ground connection on the pcb. Do not connect the regs output to the cd player!

Connect your multimeter's red lead to the regs output and the black lead to ground and select the dc setting.

Power on, but first make sure that the regs output is not connected to the cd player! Hopefully you will get the reading you want! It should be a negative voltage, LM337 is a negative voltage regulator. Don't connect a negative supply around the dac as I am fairly sure this will ruin it.

Sorry if I have repeated things you already know.

Hope this helps,

Lee.

Hi Lee,

You are not repeating anything, i don't much abt electronics.
Where do u suggest i connect the regs to, is there something like a testing board...?

or should i take a wire to tap on some power on somewhere on the cdp board? can u suggest some points for me to use to test?

This may sound a little crazy as I try to drive my headphones (600ohms) directly from the cdp, but hey it works and in fact much much more impressive then my head amp.

As mentioned by many before, the lm4562 really made the music very natural and smooth. I have yet to try out my favourite track (which i think is rather challenging, Dacoit Duel, not sure if anyone have heard of it before)

marcusdeming said:
This may sound a little crazy as I try to drive my headphones (600ohms) directly from the cdp, but hey it works and in fact much much more impressive then my head amp.

Not crazy in the slightest Marcus! As long as they're an easy load (and 600ohms is) the op-amp can take it. And if there's less in the signal path the sound will be less grainy and more fluid with better detailing.

The 4562 is a pretty good chip when used with the right accompanying parts/gear.

Simon

SimontY said:

Not crazy in the slightest Marcus! As long as they're an easy load (and 600ohms is) the op-amp can take it. And if there's less in the signal path the sound will be less grainy and more fluid with better detailing.

The 4562 is a pretty good chip when used with the right accompanying parts/gear.

Simon

I am not sure why but the last time my 32ohm headphones don't sound very good with the lm4562

I think u mentioned a volume control sometime back how can i fixed one in. Now that i am liking its sound its quite silly for me to use the remote to control the volume as the cdp is right underneadth my table.

marcusdeming said:

I am not sure why but the last time my 32ohm headphones don't sound very good with the lm4562

I think u mentioned a volume control sometime back how can i fixed one in. Now that i am liking its sound its quite silly for me to use the remote to control the volume as the cdp is right underneadth my table.

Well you could wire in a potentiometer (pot.) to the output. Audio pots have a logarithmic taper, and are typically 10kohm or so. Are you using the headphone socket on the front? If so improvements could be made there.

Simon

no I am listen to the phones from the RCA out as i have remove the headphone section.

Where do u house the volume pot?

this is how i listen to my headphones, rca out to switchbox then headphones
100_3547Small.jpg

I've been having a lot of trouble loading this site today!

You can run a wire from the negative supply on the pcb, ie the negative connection of C804 to the input of your lm337 reg. Connect your regs ground to a ground point on the pcb. Measure the voltage between the regs output and ground.

A little o/t but I was given this article by a mate and thought some people might want to read it. I notice the guy hadn't actually listened to his KI BEFORE the mods!

http://img526.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kidplettervo4.jpg

Lee

Thomo said:
I've been having a lot of trouble loading this site today!

You can run a wire from the negative supply on the pcb, ie the negative connection of C804 to the input of your lm337 reg. Connect your regs ground to a ground point on the pcb. Measure the voltage between the regs output and ground.

A little o/t but I was given this article by a mate and thought some people might want to read it. I notice the guy hadn't actually listened to his KI BEFORE the mods!

http://img526.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kidplettervo4.jpg

Lee

Lee,

would anything be damage if say my regs are connected wrongly.
similarly i can use the same point to fit positive +ve to my lm317 right.

Do i have to solder it or merely touching it will do.

SimontY said:
I'm going to risk sounding snobbish when I say this but that is an absolute load of toilet scrapings! If only these people realised what is out there. That DP will lack detail, space, neutrality, bass precision, calmness, clean treble and openness.

I guess audio really involves a lot of subjectivity. To be honest, I do not like the lm4562 initially when i first begin my mods. And went on to use the ad826 which i still quite like it. But changing the lm4562 recently i find them amazing again. ;)

Using it to drive my cans directly i have been on them for 4-5 hours...

marcusdeming said:

I guess audio really involves a lot of subjectivity. To be honest, I do not like the lm4562 initially when i first begin my mods. And went on to use the ad826 which i still quite like it. But changing the lm4562 recently i find them amazing again. ;)

There's plenty of subjectivity, but a total lack of detail and openness is more of an objective problem. The original KI sounded rubbish to me - but that's subjective! :D

Just don't have your face too close. Other than getting blasted in the eyes there isn't much that can happen. It's a good idea to have your supply to the regs fused. Another tip would be to set it all up and then switch the power on from a distance. Sometimes I like to crouch down and shield my face too :hot:

Also, when you do switch on, switch off quite quickly and check for any parts heating up with your hand. If all is ok and smoke-free turn on again and check for voltage with your meter.

SimontY said:
Just don't have your face too close. Other than getting blasted in the eyes there isn't much that can happen. It's a good idea to have your supply to the regs fused. Another tip would be to set it all up and then switch the power on from a distance. Sometimes I like to crouch down and shield my face too :hot:

Also, when you do switch on, switch off quite quickly and check for any parts heating up with your hand. If all is ok and smoke-free turn on again and check for voltage with your meter.

do i need to solder a wire to the end of the reg.
I am certainly very worried about the testing part
What are the value of the fuse in the cd63, just in case i burn some.

marcusdeming said:
do i need to solder a wire to the end of the reg.
I am certainly very worried about the testing part
What are the value of the fuse in the cd63, just in case i burn some.

You'll want to solder the connections, yes. That way you won't have anything loose flapping around to cause a short-circuit.

There's no need to be worried! Just be careful.

The fuses are 600mA, fast-blow iirc. They blew on mine recently.

lol, why would you want to do that? :hot:

It won't kill you but the metal back is probably at +ve (the datasheet will tell you), so it can't be recommended.

If you need to you can have it lying on a piece of paper or something with the wires trailing away from it to ground, output (just a loose wire - don't connect it yet), and input voltage. This will make it as easy as possible to test for correct voltages without damaging anything.

Simon