Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Glad you got the 63 back Simon!

The meet was great but there were no modded CD63s! Mine was broken and Brent was away with his wife somewhere (excuses, excuses!)

In fact I didn't hear any good sources at all. There were loads of fantastic DIY speakers and amps though.

The meet was great, but it was mainly all speakers and amps.

I think the best CDPs I saw were a (I assume unmodded) Quad CD player, John's stock CD63, and a handful of reasonable DVD players. There might have been a Denon tucked away somewhere too.

Nothing particularly special (although respectable players as stock).

I think if there is another one, it would be great to see some decent sources there, and end this 'laptops with off the shelve DACs are alright really' opinion that seemed to be shared by the speaker builders.

Not wanting to start a flame war (there nearly was one elsewhere), I would just like to hear other players, especially modded 63's (just to bring back memories of my defunct 63 :bawling: ).

With you 100% Phil! I'm not against alternative sources, but they generally weren't up to much. I can sense my amps and speakers are lagging behind some of what I heard in Chesterfield, but when I fire my Marantz CD63 up I get bags more detail, dynamics and general realism than any system managed there. (ignoring the drum kits and other sound effects the Orions played...)

I know what you mean.
Vikash played some impressive streams from his laptop, but then played a Natalie Merchant CD on the laptop, and the detail was lost.
Then the Quad player was plugged in, and I heard a vague improvement, but not a huge amount (which frankly shocked me).
But, room acoustics and stuff all contributed to upsetting things.

Having said all that, I'm sure a reclocked USB DAC, with sensible PSU regulation and a decent IV converter would sound great.

Gone are the days when I worry about taking this thread off topic.

Cheers,
Phil

I have just fitted some low noise regs onto the laser driver ic Q106.
The mod comprises a TX , schottky bridge , Silmics , 2x +/- 9V S Power regs and 16V 470uF Black gate caps.

Already here at work the details and space is greater. It will take a few days for the cd to settle back into its stride with being turned off, I will report on it more then.

I will sort the mods list so this mod can be seen.

Brent

I managed to fit it behind the KI tx on the back panel. 17 low noise regs and 6 TX+ KI TX now lmao

I would have posted a piccy but my works computer has a virus and is monged. I will be re installing on monday so hopefully I will be able to post a pic then.

While on the topic of the latest mod I can confirm the treble and bass has become more nimble and accurate with a little more stereo seperation. Quite a worth while upgrade.

Brent

If that doesn't inspire any newcomers, nothing will!

On the subject of mains quality, I have an electric cooker cable in the kitchen which is not used. This is a separate spur direct from the fuse-box. I plan to drill through to the lounge and re-route this cable for my hi-fi only (with a lower rated fuse). Would this be good in isolating my equipment and improving my supply quality? or do i need to build a mains conditioner?

Lee.

Lee, that sounds great, give it a go! I'd love to know what sort of gains you achieve. There are various mains conditioning routes you can try but really isolation and keeping the impedance low seem like the least compromised routes to best sound.

As for newcomers... I'd like to try to help make a guide for them but it will take some time to do. Ray's list is a good start but for those with good soldering abilities and enough money Brent's list should be followed where possible.

There does come a point where you wonder if it might be worth spending more on the player and less on the mods though. I heard one particular (Sony) player in Brent's workshop that was not far behind mine and with only relatively "basic" mods. It sounded very composed and relaxed, whereas mine was a litte more upfront, much more detailed and more dynamic.