Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

LOL - very funny Simonty.

I would just like to say thanks to Glenn2 for his advise on changing CF03 (about 3 weeks ago) to increase the time it takes for my player to start up. It worked a treat.

Also, does anyone have an op-amp based Super Regulator design that is possible to build on veroboard? I'm skint and can't afford Audiocom etc.

Regards, Lee.

Yep, that's Gatecrasher/The Republic. Monday nights some 8 years ago were great - 80p double vodka redbulls at Blessed. Great stuff. It went mega-commercial and changed its name to Gatecrasher to fully cash in. Also changed all music to god-awful pop-R&B. So it deserved to burn. Sad though, I have some happy memories. And when it was overhauled it had an amazing all-horn sound system with the best bass ever!

Thomo said:
I would just like to say thanks to Glenn2 for his advise on changing CF03 (about 3 weeks ago) to increase the time it takes for my player to start up. It worked a treat.

You're welcome - glad it worked!

Also, does anyone have an op-amp based Super Regulator design that is possible to build on veroboard? I'm skint and can't afford Audiocom etc.

I think Flea PCBs are your best DIY option, but they don't chuck out much current and are quite big. Martin?

dantwomey said:
Ray,

Have you seen my posts regarding my mods to my DV7600? To me modding a universal player was the next logical step beyond my CD67 because of the ability to play all silver discs.

Regards,
Dan

No, I haven't. But I don't like the concept of using a DVD-player for SACD playback. There's a lot of extra (video-) electronics in there that generates noise and I don't like the switching PSUs that are often used. I prefer a dedicated player.

Regards,

Ray

6h5c said:

No, I haven't. But I don't like the concept of using a DVD-player for SACD playback. There's a lot of extra (video-) electronics in there that generates noise and I don't like the switching PSUs that are often used. I prefer a dedicated player.

Regards,

Ray

I believe (not checked!) one or two models are available exclusively for audio. These play SACD and DVD-A. I hear what you're saying - dedicated all the way.

Simon

Joined 2002
Paid Member
6h5c said:

Regards,

Ray

Now that you've mastered traditional PSUs don't you think the switching PSUs would be an interesting challenge? I've been told by some here that the switching PSUs can be improved quite abit. I put some ALWSRs and BGs in mine with some pleasing results.

For me a universal player was a good budgetary compromise. Allowing me to do everything with one machine.

Regards,
Dan

P.S. If you'd like a copy of the DV7600 service manual drop me a note.

:smash:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Changing PSU Diodes to Schottky type

After adding some 900.000 uF to my Marantz CD53SE Digital PSU and also altering the Analog PSU, the result was a more detailed sound. Now I want to change the rectifier diodes. Would a Schottky 1N5819 (1A 40V) be a good update ? I would like to try the 11DQ10 but I can not find any. Please advise because I am worried about the reverse leak current that is specd at 1mA. Also I am using a Sony DAT TDC-670 as a dac and the sound is much more detailed and spacious. Can you comment on this ? I do not have a shcema for the Sony so I did not tweek it....Yet.... Please advise.

Best regards

Re: Changing PSU Diodes to Schottky type

RCruz said:
After adding some 900.000 uF to my Marantz CD53SE Digital PSU and also altering the Analog PSU, the result was a more detailed sound. Now I want to change the rectifier diodes. Would a Schottky 1N5819 (1A 40V) be a good update ? I would like to try the 11DQ10 but I can not find any. Please advise because I am worried about the reverse leak current that is specd at 1mA. Also I am using a Sony DAT TDC-670 as a dac and the sound is much more detailed and spacious. Can you comment on this ? I do not have a shcema for the Sony so I did not tweek it....Yet.... Please advise.

Best regards
i think i would look for something with at least, 90 to 100v rated.

:)

Attachments

• marantz3294.jpg
    marantz3294.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 315
My hum problem....

...goes away when I unscrew the cross-brace.

It goes across the top of two of the three transformers in the player. The original one and the Zapfilter one which is behind the transport. (Not the clock one.)

The transformer fields are perhaps inducing hum currents in the cross-brace that circulate around the casework and get picked up by the inductors in my circuit.

Does anyone think this cross-brace adds significantly to the sound? I might just ditch it.

Glenn2 said:

Does anyone think this cross-brace adds significantly to the sound? I might just ditch it.

I once fashioned a new cross brace out of a piece of solid oak for a cd53, but I'm not sure if your case is well-damped whether there would be a noticeable difference in the sound with or without. I just felt better with it in. There's a lot to be said for the placebo effect!

Regards, Lee.

Thomo said:

I once fashioned a new cross brace out of a piece of solid oak for a cd53, but I'm not sure if your case is well-damped whether there would be a noticeable difference in the sound with or without. I just felt better with it in. There's a lot to be said for the placebo effect!

Regards, Lee.

Cheers Lee - it doesn't seem to make any difference.... maybe because there is quite a bit of Dynamat stuck around the thing anyway. The casework seems to be stronger on the SE's too, and of course there's the bottom plate.

I think I'll just leave it out and forget about it!