Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Hi all,

Got stereo sound out of my discrete board yesterday afternoon, but then had to head out for a birthday party. I've been listening all day today (croc clipped in). In a word: music!

Attachments

• birdnest.jpg
    birdnest.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 349
Even in crocodile clipped form the sound is sensational. I fully agree with Brent that the closest op-amp to this is the LM4562. However, compared to that chip, the sound is more relaxed, natural, sweet, euphonic and dynamic. Images are much more accurately placed on the soundstage. The treble is sharper and less tizzy. Bass is deep, tight and hard-hitting. There is perhaps less bass (or it seems so initially) but I feel there's just less mess/boom. The joy with this upgrade is that EVERY cd I've played sounds better! I've tried Diana Krall, Clapton unplugged. Nirvana unplugged, 'Straits on XRCD, Jazz at the Pawnshop on XRCD, Ministry of Sound Addicted to Bass, Massive Attack, The Human League, Cardigans... everything is better!

The simple reg boards just have NOS 220u/35v Cerafine before and after regs.

Simon (is happy)

Attachments

• board.jpg
    board.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 323
SimontY said:
The joy with this upgrade is that EVERY cd I've played sounds better! I've tried Diana Krall, Clapton unplugged. Nirvana unplugged, 'Straits on XRCD, Jazz at the Pawnshop on XRCD, Ministry of Sound Addicted to Bass, Massive Attack, The Human League, Cardigans... everything is better!

Cool!

That's exactly how I feel about when I installed the Zapfilter in my player. Even the crappiest sounding discs now sound great.

Op-amps suck! (Or maybe feedback sucks....)

Look at the weather - I've booked the week off to go to the tennis (I do this every year). Cue monsoon season in England. :bawling:

SimontY said:
Hi all,

Got stereo sound out of my discrete board yesterday afternoon, but then had to head out for a birthday party. I've been listening all day today (croc clipped in). In a word: music!

Hey Simon,

Great you got it to work! And the most important thing: it sounds good, and no smoke (yet) with this experimental set-up :D! Nice job.

Regards,

Ray

Re: Changing PSU Diodes to Schottky type

RCruz said:
After adding some 900.000 uF to my Marantz CD53SE Digital PSU and also altering the Analog PSU, the result was a more detailed sound. Now I want to change the rectifier diodes. Would a Schottky 1N5819 (1A 40V) be a good update ? I would like to try the 11DQ10 but I can not find any. Please advise because I am worried about the reverse leak current that is specd at 1mA

Take the 1N5822 which is specd' for 3A. Gives you some inrush headroom.

Glenn2 said:
Cool!

That's exactly how I feel about when I installed the Zapfilter in my player. Even the crappiest sounding discs now sound great.

Op-amps suck! (Or maybe feedback sucks....)

I think the 4562 gets close in many ways. But the music doesn't draw me in like with this.

disco said:
Subtle work Simon, and more, the print gives the player a genuine crocodile look :rolleyes:

Well subtle looking it aint (for now) but I needed to test it. I actually soldered it all in with silver wires (6n solid silver) but only one channel worked. So this time I only did it with croc clips to help me rapidly find the fault. Not sure what it was.

Glenn2 said:
Actually, never mind Nirvana unplugged and Clapton unplugged, I hope you leave your CD-63 unplugged when you go out!
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Oh very good!! lol. Actually, on repeat is good for "burning" in.

6h5c said:
Hey Simon,

Great you got it to work! And the most important thing: it sounds good, and no smoke (yet) with this experimental set-up :D! Nice job.

Regards,

Ray

Cheers Ray. Thanks for helping to get the ball rolling with this idea. You've really helped people get great sound here. And many thanks Jaap for designing the pcb! Terrific.

I'll get this soldered in properly ASAP and get back to some more mods, a couple more major ones to do yet!

Regards
Simon

Nice one Simon.
It was trying to get a discrete output going on my CD63 that was the final death nail for it (thankfully though, no visit from Pontypandy FD, just a quick recycling session and a quiet memorial service). Glad your's is still working (and sounding great).

So this time I only did it with croc clips to help me rapidly find the fault. Not sure what it was.
LOL!

philpoole said:
Nice one Simon.
It was trying to get a discrete output going on my CD63 that was the final death nail for it (thankfully though, no visit from Pontypandy FD, just a quick recycling session and a quiet memorial service). Glad your's is still working (and sounding great).

LOL!

Cheers mate, there have been a few losses around here (one must raise a glass to those that failed to achieve greatness but instead ascended to the great electronic dustbin in the sky - souls escaping to the scent of capacitor steam and burning transistors.)

I think my fault was probably either a solder splash on the discrete pcb, or one of those pesky silver wires wasn't soldered properly. Nothing major. Hopefully I'll get it soldered back in tonight. Should sound even better then.

Simon

SimontY said:

Cheers mate, there have been a few losses around here (one must raise a glass to those that failed to achieve greatness but instead ascended to the great electronic dustbin in the sky - souls escaping to the scent of capacitor steam and burning transistors.)

I think my fault was probably either a solder splash on the discrete pcb, or one of those pesky silver wires wasn't soldered properly. Nothing major. Hopefully I'll get it soldered back in tonight. Should sound even better then.

Simon

Yes I have rebuilt two members cd players after some grenading ;)

Brent