Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

aquar said:
Hi Brent,
Assumtion: If I have fitted a few of transformer for independent supply (DAC,Servo,Clock,Decorder) like as your last list modd (5 toroids), What is the replacement transformer to tx in the CD63SE still advantageous?

Regards
aquar

Unless you can get hold of a KI TX I would leave the SE one in. Removing power to the muting and HDAM circuits will free up the full VA of the winding to the op amps

Brent

Paulus1981 said:

What a list:bigeyes:

This explaines the looks of your player:D

If I can agree on the price of the 63, I'll check the condition of it. Then I'll decide which chassis to use since my current cd67 is in mint condition:angel: Thanks again for the answers.

If your CD63 is just skipping, mistracking, etc, you can get a new laser for about €30. They're easy enough to fit as well and you get new motors as well as laser.

Glenn2 said:
If your CD63 is just skipping, mistracking, etc, you can get a new laser for about €30. They're easy enough to fit as well and you get new motors as well as laser.

Will pick it up tomorrow (80 euro isn't bad isn't it?), changing the TX will be my second weapon fact considering electronics
:D

If I remain very quiet tomorrow you know something has gone wrong:hot:

Paulus1981 said:

Will pick it up tomorrow (80 euro isn't bad isn't it?), changing the TX will be my second weapon fact considering electronics
:D

If I remain very quiet tomorrow you know something has gone wrong:hot:

If you end up paying €80 plus €30 for a laser so €110 for an almost-good-as-new CD-63KI that's not bad at all mate. You could sell it on for more than that.

You could use it as a reference (and to keep you in tunes) whilst you are modding the '67 even

Anyway - off the pub!:drink: :cheers: :drink:

...lobs hand grenade...

OK so I've been working really hard at implementing LME49710s, the single opamp version of the LM4562, for a while now.

I don't like it. There's something subtly odd&unnatural about its presentation of music... as opposed to it's presentation of mere detail - which is first rate but totally boring. Can;t quite artuclate it, but its go to do with LF ambience which comes and goes depending on signal level, leading to a totally sterile presentation. Ho hum, not for me then, oh no...

KI not reading disks (yet again)

Hey guys.

I posted on here a while ago about my ki radial error and i'm still stuck.

I put a disk in, it spins, the laser seems to read, but then nothing - no toc reading or owt.

service mode with a disk gives error 10, without a disk gives error code 02.

HHHHHHEEEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!

PLEASE?

I read voltages at q105 - all ok except pins 7&8 - service manual says 2.5v for both, but I read 0.02v. When disk spins this reading goes up to ~5v but then dips to 0v when it stops spinning. Is this normal?

Lee.

Re: KI not reading disks (yet again)

Thomo said:
Hey guys.

I posted on here a while ago about my ki radial error and i'm still stuck.

I put a disk in, it spins, the laser seems to read, but then nothing - no toc reading or owt.

service mode with a disk gives error 10, without a disk gives error code 02.

HHHHHHEEEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!

PLEASE?

I read voltages at q105 - all ok except pins 7&8 - service manual says 2.5v for both, but I read 0.02v. When disk spins this reading goes up to ~5v but then dips to 0v when it stops spinning. Is this normal?

Lee.

Sounds like a ribbon/connector problem to me.

First of all (with power off) remove ribbon to mech from both connectors. Then re insert. test for reading cds

If that does not work can you try a different mech?

I think its the connectors for the ribbon. You would not believe how often these F up. Try hard wiring, this would improve signal transfer anyway. + you could do the HF coax mod.

Brent

Ok, thanks Brent. I tried changing the ribbon and sockets but like you say they're really unreliable.

I planned to do the coax last to make removing the board for the other mods easier, but I think I'll change that.

One more question though (sorry to be a pest), do you know what parts to change on a superclock II to enable it to be used on the servo?

Regards, Lee.

Re: ...lobs hand grenade...

martin clark said:
OK so I've been working really hard at implementing LME49710s, the single opamp version of the LM4562, for a while now.

I don't like it. There's something subtly odd&unnatural about its presentation of music... as opposed to it's presentation of mere detail - which is first rate but totally boring. Can;t quite artuclate it, but its go to do with LF ambience which comes and goes depending on signal level, leading to a totally sterile presentation. Ho hum, not for me then, oh no...

Hi Martin,

That sums up my feelings on the LM4562 really.

I said on this thread t'other day that I was warming to it but I've changed my mind again (sorry Simon :D).

It really depends what you're listening to... but sterile is my overriding impression.

Some favourite CDs didn't sound emotionally involving like they normally would so I popped in some AD825s which are the opposite really. Rough diamonds. Enthusiastic but a bit rough around the edges in comparison. The life and emotion came back to the sound. I found my fingers and toes tapping again.

I think AD chips are good at this aspect of sound. That's the main reason why don't like the BB op-amps. I prefer AD8610 over OPA627 for example.

Glenn

Re: Re: ...lobs hand grenade...

Glenn2 said:

Hi Martin,

That sums up my feelings on the LM4562 really.

I said on this thread t'other day that I was warming to it but I've changed my mind again (sorry Simon :D).

It really depends what you're listening to... but sterile is my overriding impression.

Some favourite CDs didn't sound emotionally involving like they normally would so I popped in some AD825s which are the opposite really. Rough diamonds. Enthusiastic but a bit rough around the edges in comparison. The life and emotion came back to the sound. I found my fingers and toes tapping again.

I think AD chips are good at this aspect of sound. That's the main reason why don't like the BB op-amps. I prefer AD8610 over OPA627 for example.

Glenn

I have changed back to LT1361 again some 3 week ago. I missed the roughness and emotion. The 4562 still sits in my pre (for now).

Re: Re: Re: ...lobs hand grenade...

avr300 said:

I have changed back to LT1361 again some 3 week ago. I missed the roughness and emotion. The 4562 still sits in my pre (for now).

Interesting!

I have some samples of LT1361 and LT1364 on order and they should arrive any day now.

I've never heard these parts before.

They interest me because they seem to have a lot in common with the LM6172, which I like. Kind of like a VFB/CFB hybrid.

Glenn