Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

rowemeister said:
Some advice on modding these amps , Upgrade the TX. I was lucky to have a spare TX. It makes all the difference.
Also big caps are a must.

You have mail

Brent

TX- I've got a couple of whoppers in an old Rotel RB850 but they're not toroids. I don't think there'd be room. I think trying to source a new one would be better.

Simon: this meet - where/when is it?
My problems are two-fold at the moment. Weekends spent looking for a new property and also no wheels! So I'll probably have to pass this year.

DaHood said:
I had not considered modding this until I saw a mod kit on Ebay for sale by Audiocom.

What are these mod kits like?

Expensive and not applied in a manner that would lead to the best results. It can be fun to learn to do these things, but if you decide to get someone else to do it Brent (rowemeister) has modified many machines for other people, and is cheap.

If you have limited knowledge but just want a taste of high end, start with the Audiocom Superclock 3 and one Super Regulator to power it. This was basically my first mod to any cd player and it lifts the player tremendously! Another easy and useful mod is to replace the feet with hard cones and put a little bitumen on the inside of the lid to damp it.

Do you have any knowledge of electronics at all? Or anything that would help? It should be pointed out that it's very easy to stop a CD player working with the smallest mistake. I've done it many a time.

Simon

I do have experience but that was many a year ago; I do have a friend that is well up on electronics so i'll get him to assist.

The kit on Ebay includes this:

Superclock 3 /16.9344MHz

· SMB cable assembly for Superclock 3 /250mm with SMB plug to bare ends.

· Adhesive backed plastic stand-offs to mount Superclock 3 /2 pcs

· Invisus PPR1 Ultra-low Noise /+5V Regulator

· Sontech SFRT-AL resonance control panel for lid; 250mm x 250mm.

· Smartwire 2% Silver Solder /2 metres.

· Silver-plated OFC wire (2 colours) for clock DC power input/ 50cm

What do you reckon?

Thanks for the info by the way....

I've been modding again!!! :xeye:

I now have seperate TX for DAC and Decoder + 2 extra SPOWER regs running the decoder.

The CDP is now running 13 low noise regs and 5 toroids + KI TX for discrete pcb.

Here are some pics

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Brent

The KI TX makes all the difference. The difference between SE and KI is the TX and copper plated chassis (also the bottom plate is a little thicker). And they were originally priced @ £350 for SE and £500 for KI.

I would say the TX makes a good 85 - 90% of the difference between the two.

Yes it will fit the 67. But where are you going to get one from?
If you buy a 63KI don't take the TX out! sell the 67 and mod the KI.
Remember the 63 and 67 are 90% identical.

Hope that covers your question

Brent

Paulus1981 said:
@Brent, thanks it does cover my question.

the TX comes from an old CD63KI which doesn't run perfectly anymore, can sell it secondhand.

My CD67 is in perfect condition and modded with use of knowledge that I don't have:)

Apart from that what would be the advantage of modding the CD63KI instead of changing the TX (which is 85% of the difference?)

Paul

KEEP THE KI !!!!!!!!!!

After modding, it would be better than perfect !!

===================================

The mods improve every section of the player, apart from the actual pick-up mechanism. If this is where your fault is, swap it with the CD67.

Andy

Paulus1981 said:
@Brent, thanks it does cover my question.

the TX comes from an old CD63KI which doesn't run perfectly anymore, can sell it secondhand.

My CD67 is in perfect condition and modded with use of knowledge that I don't have:)

Apart from that what would be the advantage of modding the CD63KI instead of changing the TX (which is 85% of the difference?)

Paul

As a slightly different approach to what Poynton said....

Yes keep the KI. Fit the KI TX to the 67. Then drop the 67 pcb (with KI tx) into the KI chassis. Sorted.

An Hybrid KI (CD 67 KI)

Brent

Would it fit?

I.e., are the screw holes, sockets etc. in the same places?

I'm asking because the 67SE is wider than the 63 (i.e., it's the same width as the PM-66).

I suspect that there's just more fresh air at the sides on the 67 but I'd be interested if you'd tried this.

I might have a play with an old 63 (not SE or KI)and if it ends up better than my 67SE I'll put the guts into the 67SE chassis and go the other way to Paul...