Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Malefoda said:
Brent, I've just closed it, the lid has no effect, maybe better with. So no problem here.
Simon... no earth on the wall plugs here! That's why right now my socket does not link to star earth RCA point. But the amp is also not earthed... my furniture is a very heavy one with steel frame. A pain to move!
For the amp:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Looking at your amp res caps. They look very small mate. I would definatly improve these

Brent

Malefoda said:
For the amp:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Wow, super upgradeable!! Those caps look rubbish, but... There's clearly loads of room for bigger ones, and ditto the transformer. If you could find a larger tx and physicaly larger (possibly same uF rating but better) caps (such as BHC Aerovox etc. - search the forum) then you could improve the bass (and the rest) somewhat. Some kind of service manual would help you identify which other caps could be upgraded to good effect. You could have some fun here and produce something more worthy of partnering your cd player.

Simon

Hi Andrew

AndrewT said:
Hi Simon,
post3997 shows the star grounds connected back to safety earth via the wire from "psu star" to "E".
I think it would be better to adopt power amplifier topology and use a disconnecting network in lieu of the wire connection.

Do I have to search for this or will you be kind and explain? :D Does this mean to connect via an inductor or resistor?

It also appears that you have both zero volt rails connected 4 times to the stars (have I read that right?). There is duplication here that creates a loop that could/will pick up inductively coupled interference.

There is definately a loop here. I'd like both pieces of kit to have a connection to safety earth as it seems to sound better.

After you have removed the direct connection to safety earth you can try using the "cdp star" only and removing the "psu star" and it's two connections to zero volt rails. Then connect "cdp star" to the disconnecting network then to the safety earth. The extra cost is tiny in comparison to your super-regs.

You could have a point, but I took Brent's advice on wiring the earths in this way ie. using two stars, which will be joined by a low resistance jumper.

I did initially only use the CDP star but (as said in subsequent posts) the sound greatly improved when I added a star ground in the power supply and connected it to safety earth (both chnges done in one step).

I have considered what I have done, but don't take me as arrogant, I realise there's room for improvment as the player has a high level of noise now.

Simon

ps please see edit above

rowemeister said:
Is the primary earth and secondary gnd of psu connected?

Brent

Yes, it's easiest to just look at a piccy. I've cut the third psu off to keep it simple (it had little effect on noise and problems anyway).

Attachments

• cdp external psu exp.png
    cdp external psu exp.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 252
We're starting to go quite off-topic but I wonder whether Matthieu might be better off building a cheap but effective chipamp to try before he starts to get too involved with the Arcam? For the cost of a new transformer, fancy caps, etc for the Arcam he could probably build a very nice Gainclone or Class D amp to try out.

Matthieu, perhaps you should start a new thread on this subject?

Greg

Hi Simon,
the disconnecting network to connect audio ground to safety earth can consist of some or all of the following all connected in parallel.
Power diode connected in inverse parallel.
Power resistor.
High frequency capacitor.
Thermistor.

I have never used a thermistor but I believe Nelson Pass recommends it.

The audio ground should be isolated from the chassis and safety earth. This requires the use of insulated RCA sockets. The only connection from audio ground to safety earth should be through the disconnecting network.

None of the foregoing stops you continuing to use your star ground as the main audio ground. Since that sounds best, keep it.

Malefoda said:
My mains is dancing... not too much right now!
http://dl-3.free.fr/52616e646f6d4956a2eaf2723a735cc6f4ce53df2934d10a4a4aba77c2cec7b1/DSCN1723.AVI

Will have a look to amp upgrade...

HI.

My contribution to this off-topic...

I do not think your Quads are to blame for lack of bass. I use these and the bass is there and tight. (Of course, due to the type/size of speaker, very deep bass is not present.)

If you want to try a chip amp, the T-Amp (with a good PSU) is a very good start point.

Andy