Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

poynton said:

Hi.

I am half way through modding the HF section in my '63.
The main problem here is the +5v supply. It's fed serially of the same +5v as the uP (MN187164 - QF01 ) and so will be picking up LOADS of hash !! I am cutting the feed and wiring direct to the 5v supply via screened cable. I have also fed the HF Transistors Q501/502 via screened cable for the same reason. The HF signal is now via screen cable from the HF pcb to R501. The original tracks have been isolated and grounded. The final stage is now underway. I have literally just returned from a shopping trip with some thin brass sheet to fabricate a screening 'box' around the HF board itself.

Andy

I need to see pictures please Andy! :D

Re: Re: Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

poynton said:

Hi.

I wouldn't bother.

If you haven't already done so, changing the diodes will have a greater effect.

Andy

hi Andy,ihave change diode to schoky and most of the caps to blackgate, i know nothing about electronic just simple one to one changing of parts will like to know if it is safe and any benefit to the sound

SimontY said:

I need to see pictures please Andy! :D

Almost finished but not yet installed.
The screens were made from thin sheet brass from the local model shop. Stiffer sheet would be neater but this thin sheet can be cut with a pair of scissors.
I used hot glue to fix them making sure they are well supported all over to prevent any shorts - there should be about 1mm clearance. The meter did not show any shorts!
Still to do prior to installation is a bond to earth. I do not think where to earth is important - the screens carry no current so earth loops should not be a problem. I also wany to glue a small piece of screen to the chassis rail to cover the HF transistors
Similarly, the coax screens are grounded at one end only. The ground connection to the HF board was not touched. The coax is RG???, minature 50ohm coax silver 7x? plus silver plated screen, teflon/teflon insulated (bought of EBAY - cheap. Maplin used to sell the same stuff at 3x the price!)
I had to 'trim' the chassis rails as the coax fouled slightly - re-routing would solve the problem but I had already glued them down!

Remnants of the brass will be used to make a screen round/over Q501/502

Attachments

• pcbscreen1.jpg
    pcbscreen1.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 996
SimontY said:
............why brass and not copper? .............

HI, Iwas just going to explain but you beat me to it !

My local model shop sells 3 different thicknesses of brass but only 1 of copper - 1.5mm! Cutting is the problem. Cost is another factor - the copper sheet is 5 times the price and the waste factor is high!

.............. wouldn't copper shield RF better? .............

I don't know! Most commercial screens are brass or tin. What are the HDAM screens made of?

I will be using the thicker brass for a screen to the front panel as I may hang some PSU bits on it.

Andt

poynton said:
HI, Iwas just going to explain but you beat me to it !

My local model shop sells 3 different thicknesses of brass but only 1 of copper - 1.5mm! Cutting is the problem. Cost is another factor - the copper sheet is 5 times the price and the waste factor is high!

I don't know! Most commercial screens are brass or tin. What are the HDAM screens made of?

I will be using the thicker brass for a screen to the front panel as I may hang some PSU bits on it.

Andt

Hehe! Good reasoning. I hope it makes an improvement. Is your clock crystal also screened or grounded? Does it even matter?? Will check mine next time I go down on her..

The HDAMs are copper coated, umm, steel? Actually I don't know.

Now I have a few things I really must do to mine - some psu work (extra regs), check crystal for grounding, and add proper phono sockets. :D

Hi.

Yep screening the clock is also on the list - when I can decide which one - I have tricord2, LC and audiocom plus I have just received a mini board with a colpitts ? oscillator which I may use as the basis for a Kwak clock!

Andy

Attachments

• osc=boards.jpg
    osc=boards.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,000
poynton said:
Hi.

Yep screening the clock is also on the list - when I can decide which one - I have tricord2, LC and audiocom plus I have just received a mini board with a colpitts ? oscillator which I may use as the basis for a Kwak clock!

Andy

Ah, cool, loadsa clocks! I use an Audiocom 'DVC-1 master clock', which works a treat (fed 5v from a large external diy psu). This was their budget (£100) alternative to the Superclock (and 2, 3 etc.!). However, as Brent tells us, they now sell at hugely reduced prices through Ebay, so they're no longer a total wallet-busting skank.

the quotes are in...

Here come the quotes for the custom toroids:

I used Ray's latest suggestion (found here), but had to decide
on some manufacturing details as well to get the quote.

So I went for:
- a potted centre with M5-thread
- a static screen (made of copper foil)
- only one primary winding of 230V

This is up for discussion, of course....

The net prices I was quoted are:

€ 23,90 - 24,50 ea. for 10 pieces
€ 26,00 - 27,05 ea. for 20 pieces

The two manufacturers are very close with their pricing...

Including german VAT, shipping the bulk to my place and distributing
the toroids within Europe, the final price for you should be around
€ 39,00 for ground mail and max. € 43,00 for air mail.

39.00 EUR = 26.7060 GBP (xe.com)

I think it's a very good price considering the low quantity and custom nature of it.

To those of a more techincal persuasion than myself I pose the question - will this transformer be superior to the existing toroid in the KI version? :scratch:

Is this an upgrade or a spare part? (no doubt it's definately an upgrade for those using a traditional 'I' core tx i.e. CD63 and CD63SE and CD67OSE.

.............will this transformer be superior to the existing toroid in the KI version? ..........

Hi.

As you say .. for those with a standard Tx, it will be an upgrade, without doubt!!!

For KI users, it depends on which way you look at it. In my opinion, YES. ( even if it is not OFC )

1. It is higher VA rating. Therefore better regulation.
2. It has more 5v windings to provide independant supplies to Analog and digital sections of the cd-p.

Andy

PS at that price, it's worth a try .. same price as a set of '627s !!