Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

disco said:

Pete,

The purpose of a large reservoir is to feed many or big hungry mouths (consumers and bypass caps).

Best results are had with a new PSU for 5V, feeding several regs to the DAC etc. You're dealing with small currents (up to 10mA?), so there's no need for many microFarads bypassing these regs. Depending on the kind of load presented caps from 22 to 220uF give best results as load times get larger for more capacitance.
Brent is very pleased with Black Gate N-series and I guess this is the best place to put them in action. BG NX would do better but are more expensive.

Regards, Jaap

Thanks Jaap but I'm still a little confused. If these feeds only need that level of capacitance, why are the standard values for C813/4 so high, afterall I guess the effect of what I'm doing is just to sperate Q811 into 4-5 seperate feeds.
Sorry to query your response but I'd like to understand what I'm doing and, while I can wield a solder iron in anger and read a circuit diagram, my science is a little weak (it's many years since my A-level physics!)

Regards

Pete

Chivvyp said:

Thanks Jaap but I'm still a little confused. If these feeds only need that level of capacitance, why are the standard values for C813/4 so high, afterall I guess the effect of what I'm doing is just to sperate Q811 into 4-5 seperate feeds.
Sorry to query your response but I'd like to understand what I'm doing and, while I can wield a solder iron in anger and read a circuit diagram, my science is a little weak (it's many years since my A-level physics!)

Regards

Pete

C813 is large because it also supplies the servo +10V as well as the 5V reg. The servo demands the most current.
You don't want voltage drop before the 5v reg as this would effect the regulators performance and then the whole players performance.

As Jaap said its best to feed the seperate regs with a new psu, each reg really needs no more than 470uf each due to its small current usage. Look at C803/C804 to the two 12V regs, and these drag more current than the regs for digital rails.

Brent

Re: Re: Walker Audio precision motor drive?

rowemeister said:

I have now ;-)

Interesting indeed. What is this Walker? I have not seen this item.

Brent

Zombie
Power Line conditioner?
http://www.walkeraudio.com/precision_motor_drive.htm

Ray and Jaap have been referring to similar ideas.
If the gentleman threw out the turntable after this mod?

he's really in for a surprise for what the CD63 can do if he tried some of Ray's, Brent's or Jaap's (and others) upgrades will do.:bigeyes:

allan (been lurking)

ps Jaap
are BG's out of manufacture yet?

pps Been beaten, very quick Pantera6:D

Re: Re: Re: Walker Audio precision motor drive?

Zombie
Power Line conditioner?
http://www.walkeraudio.com/precision_motor_drive.htm

Ray and Jaap have been referring to similar ideas.
If the gentleman threw out the turntable after this mod?

he's really in for a surprise for what the CD63 can do if he tried some of Ray's, Brent's or Jaap's (and others) upgrades will do.:bigeyes:

allan (been lurking)

ps Jaap
are BG's out of manufacture yet?

pps Been beaten, very quick Pantera6:D [/B]
Allen,

My Michell Gyro Dec has this kind of powerfeed for 10 years now (AC made from DC). What's new?

Last news: BG

Regards, Jaap

The only thing I found regarding the ZTX552: it's universal PNP, 100V, 1A, 1W and the equivalent would be a BC640. Hope this helps

Thanks, I still cant seem to find anyplace that will sell me a small quantity. Mouser has a minimum of something like 5000!!! I really hope I can get the amp fixed, unfortunetly unlike a cd63 it cannot be replaced for $50;) Cherck the links to see some X-rated pics of my amp:eek:
Exposure XV
The bad transistor is one of the little tiny ones above the two blue 10k pots. If you look real close u can see its cracked. I was pretty surprised when I finally opened this thing up, just how well built it is, especially for thier entry level 35watt integrated amp!! BTW the two extra output transistors are actually part of the regulated power supply for the output stage. another thing I was surprised at in an entry level integrated. I really hope to get her working again soon!!! If anyone knows a source that will sell me those transistors please let me know!!!

rowemeister said:

C813 is large because it also supplies the servo +10V as well as the 5V reg. The servo demands the most current.
You don't want voltage drop before the 5v reg as this would effect the regulators performance and then the whole players performance.

As Jaap said its best to feed the seperate regs with a new psu, each reg really needs no more than 470uf each due to its small current usage. Look at C803/C804 to the two 12V regs, and these drag more current than the regs for digital rails.

Brent

Hi Brent,

I follow your meaning with the example of C803/4 but in the modlists but it's recommended to increase both of these to much larger values. I'm just confused about why bigger would be better in that situation but not in this one.
:confused:

Sorry to be a pain

Pete

Chivvyp said:

Hi Brent,

I follow your meaning with the example of C803/4 but in the modlists but it's recommended to increase both of these to much larger values. I'm just confused about why bigger would be better in that situation but not in this one.
:confused:

Sorry to be a pain

Pete
Here is how i understand it. With the stock player there is a single 5v regulator supplying everything clock, decoder, dac, servo....etc so there is quite a bit of current demand, thats why a largwer cap is recomended. When you start adding a bunch of extra regulators to supply each part seperately each one is only responsible for supply a very small amount of current and hence you dont need a very large capacitor. If this is wrong you guys can correct me but thats how I under stand it?

imperfectcircle said:

Here is how i understand it. With the stock player there is a single 5v regulator supplying everything clock, decoder, dac, servo....etc so there is quite a bit of current demand, thats why a largwer cap is recomended. When you start adding a bunch of extra regulators to supply each part seperately each one is only responsible for supply a very small amount of current and hence you dont need a very large capacitor. If this is wrong you guys can correct me but thats how I under stand it?

Correct mate ;)

Brent

I just got started on my new cd67 today:) I got it open and ready for some mods. i noticed its got a few differances over the cd53/63 I m used to. First thing I notice is the addition of another 5v regulator, whats this one for, i dont have a service manual for the cd67., and some inductors in the servo power supply instead of resistors. The other differance is the newer/ supposedly better servo section. Other than that its the same dac and output stage.

So on this player I plan on going all out. I plan on going slow and doing it right this time instead of rushing like I did with the cd53. Im going to focus on one section at a time and first up is the power supply. Im not really sure how I will go about the power supply yet. I will add 3 extra 5v regs for the dac, decoder, clock like I did with the cd53. Im not sure yet if ill give this regulator board its own tranny, is there much to gain from this over tapping off the existing 10v supply>? Id love to use those Audiocom regs, but they are $75 each in the us!!!! I may build my own Jung regs or try the Burson audio regs for $20 each. i need to take some time and make a plan of attack for this player:)

Correct mate

See how much Ive learned from you smart guys:) Now if only I can find a supplier for the little transistor in my amp.
my baby(Exposure XV)
Ive grown quite attached to this guy, has given me 10 years+ of trouble free use and awesome sound quality. I was surprised to find out that the amp has a fully regulated power supply fior the pre and power amp sections, is this a rare thing for an amp?? I dont really see why you would want your output stages power supply to be regulated??? Sorry if im off topic here.

imperfectcircle said:
I just got started on my new cd67 today:) I got it open and ready for some mods. i noticed its got a few differances over the cd53/63 I m used to. First thing I notice is the addition of another 5v regulator, whats this one for, i dont have a service manual for the cd67., and some inductors in the servo power supply instead of resistors. The other differance is the newer/ supposedly better servo section. Other than that its the same dac and output stage.

So on this player I plan on going all out. I plan on going slow and doing it right this time instead of rushing like I did with the cd53. Im going to focus on one section at a time and first up is the power supply. Im not really sure how I will go about the power supply yet. I will add 3 extra 5v regs for the dac, decoder, clock like I did with the cd53. Im not sure yet if ill give this regulator board its own tranny, is there much to gain from this over tapping off the existing 10v supply>? Id love to use those Audiocom regs, but they are $75 each in the us!!!! I may build my own Jung regs or try the Burson audio regs for $20 each. i need to take some time and make a plan of attack for this player:)

As Renatas said the 5v reg is for the servo laser and motor drive chips. The 63's chips run on +/- 10V where the newer ones in the 67 use +5V and gnd.
The decoder and servo chip are seperate on the 63 where on the 67 these are combined into one chip.
Also the RF pcb under the mech is different. The 67 has a chip TDA1302 where the 63 has discrete components.
Apart from that they are the same.

Brent

imperfectcircle said:
Now if only I can find a supplier for the little transistor in my amp.
my baby(Exposure XV)
Ive grown quite attached to this guy, has given me 10 years+ of trouble free use and awesome sound quality. I was surprised to find out that the amp has a fully regulated power supply fior the pre and power amp sections, is this a rare thing for an amp?? I dont really see why you would want your output stages power supply to be regulated??? Sorry if im off topic here.

Frank,

Your amp is indeed off topic. Did you get BC640(post 969093)?. Replace all resistors connecting to this transistor with same type and value.

Jaap

disco said:

Frank,

Your amp is indeed off topic. Did you get BC640(post 969093)?. Replace all resistors connecting to this transistor with same type and value.

Jaap
[/QUOTE

Yes i got the BC640 postm, and i am still having trouble find anyone that will sell me just 1, id even be willing to buy 50 if I have to just to get the amp up and running. What did you mean to replace all resistors??

I think it may have been a power surge or something we had a lot of lighting lately. i checked all the parts around it and they all measure fine. I donno if you can see in the pictures but trhere are two little transistors right above the blue adjustment pots in the power supply, its one of those two. I can get a schematic for the amp so i really have no clue what it does, or even what the two pots adjust?? Im going to try and contact Exposure and see what they say
thanks
Frank