Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

New ways back to the 67. I did a little listening to both the modded cd53 and stock 67, the modded player just has loads more detail and is much more open and real sounding. The stock player sounds like there is a blanket over the speakers compare to the modded cd53. So anyways I got started with the simple mods to my cd67.
1. removed output caps and muting transistors
2. replaced cd15,16 with the 220uf Silmics from above.
3. rd01, 04 replaced with chokes and ferites
4. Opamps replaced with sockets and Lm6172, bypassed pin 4 and 8 with .1uf orange drop film cap

I would like to remove the Hdam, Let me know if this is correct. I remove r651-654 which are the +-12v feed, remove u216,217 which is the signal feed and remove rn17, 18 which is the Hdam output. then I jumper from u216,217 to the empty holes of rn17, 18?? If this correct?

Found the speed again

Hi Guys..

I've tested inductors in place for the R613-R616 - and they lost. They were 100uH on ferrite.

I had a loss in speed and attack. Really!

So in my world - inductors (common mode) YES before the regs., NOT after the regs. Here the caps rules, controlled in size.

It's was just my faint opinion.

Re: Found the speed again

avr300 said:
Hi Guys..

I've tested inductors in place for the R613-R616 - and they lost. They were 100uH on ferrite.

I had a loss in speed and attack. Really!

So in my world - inductors (common mode) YES before the regs., NOT after the regs. Here the caps rules, controlled in size.

It's was just my faint opinion.

Inductors replacing 4,7 ohm feed resistors was done to filter HF from the original PSU. By using dedicated PSUs for analog there's no need for them anymore. This has been reported by Brent long agoo... :)
Note the differences between the Raylist (one PSU) and the Brentlist (multi PSU).
Regards, Jaap

avr300 said:
Then it's clear that single supply s....

Even if you put in inductors to stop HF noise, U have to live with lack of pace :dead:

Yes I know, everything IS said already.:eek:

When the CD63ki Signature was reviewed in 1995 the author praised the layed back sound and hinted at Kens favourite music, light jazz. For rock and roll the pace and rithme left to be desired.

I think there'll allways be a field of excellence, either intimid and sprankling or powerfull and impressive. Winning at one end means loosing at the other. Finding the right balance can take a lot of time and effort but at least we have gathered some knowledge of voicing it to our needs.
Some may disagree and think all can be had at once. It might be interesting to hear others opinions...

Regards, Jaap

Ok Im starting to think these players just dont like me. All I did was bypass the Hdam on my new cd67 and it was playing great for about half a cd, then in the middle of playing it just stoped and now I get error 02 and the disk wont spin. I ready dont understand this one because I havenet even topuched anything except the output stage on this player. Please someone help:( Disco u got my 53 back working any ideas on this??
Thanks
Frank

disco said:

When the CD63ki Signature was reviewed in 1995 the author praised the layed back sound and hinted at Kens favourite music, light jazz. For rock and roll the pace and rithme left to be desired.

I think there'll allways be a field of excellence, either intimid and sprankling or powerfull and impressive. Winning at one end means loosing at the other. Finding the right balance can take a lot of time and effort but at least we have gathered some knowledge of voicing it to our needs.
Some may disagree and think all can be had at once. It might be interesting to hear others opinions...

Regards, Jaap

Even light Jazz deserves right pace and timing. It's mush easier to listen to any kind of music, when the PRaT is in place. PRaT before anything else in my ears. And I must say, after the dedicated opamp power supply had been mounted, the PRaT is in place.

imperfectcircle said:
I would like to remove the Hdam, Let me know if this is correct. I remove r651-654 which are the +-12v feed, remove u216,217 which is the signal feed and remove rn17, 18 which is the Hdam output. then I jumper from u216,217 to the empty holes of rn17, 18?? If this correct?

No, that's not correct. RN17/18 are drive resistors for the muting transistors. The output is RH23/24, but if you remove C655...658 and R657/658 also you can insert a jumper across all of these components at once, and leave them in place. It saves you the trouble of removing the HDAM cans :D. See here.

Regards,

Ray.

imperfectcircle said:
Ok Im starting to think these players just dont like me. All I did was bypass the Hdam on my new cd67 and it was playing great for about half a cd, then in the middle of playing it just stoped and now I get error 02 and the disk wont spin. I ready dont understand this one because I havenet even topuched anything except the output stage on this player. Please someone help:( Disco u got my 53 back working any ideas on this??
Thanks
Frank

Hi,

Error 02 is normally a faulty laser unit. It maybe just coincidence it went when it did.

Regards

Pete

disco said:

Regards, Jaap

Hi Jaap,

I largely agree with what you say. The only part I mildly disagree with is that you can't have a player doing it all. I think mine handles most music almost equally well now. It's modest of you not to suggest your players don't do it all well ;)

Simon

AVR300[/I] Even light Jazz deserves right pace and timing. It's mush easier to listen to any kind of music said:
I largely agree with what you say. The only part I mildly disagree with is that you can't have a player doing it all. I think mine handles most music almost equally well now.
Dire Straits, Diana Krall, The Corrs Unplugged, Mr Scruff... it doesn't matter what I play, it all sounds superb with this player :D
Well, the reason I made this remark comes from the various tests I read. It seems top players (when compared) just show excellence in a certain field and not over the complete line. I know, it's a subjective story. ;)

Lifting veils and removing shortcomings has an overall prosperous effect on reproduction, no one doubts that. But in the end, what's the standard to compare the results to?

Regards, Jaap

imperfectcircle said:
Thanks
Frank

Frank, there's a lot of smoke hanging at your place. You might suffer from a similar problem as compressit (see http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=968156#post968156)
Find out if the laser is gone by transferring the transport from your good CD53. A new laser unit is sold cheaply these days. Have a search around the thread for details.
Regards, Jaap

disco said:
Lifting veils and removing shortcomings has an overall prosperous effect on reproduction, no one doubts that.

Oh yes, almost all music gets better from most of these upgrades.

But in the end, what's the standard to compare the results to?

Live music, be it amplified rock, a classical concert, an organ recital, or a mate playing a guitar in your living room.

Our hi-fis need only be compared to live music, not each other. Live music is rich, powerful, big in scale and easy on the ear (apart from super loud gigs). Detail isn't obvious, it just happens, and there's no digitalitis or lack of deep bass :D

disco[/I] But in the end said:
Live music, be it amplified rock, a classical concert, an organ recital, or a mate playing a guitar in your living room.

Our hi-fis need only be compared to live music, not each other. Live music is rich, powerful, big in scale and easy on the ear (apart from super loud gigs). Detail isn't obvious, it just happens, and there's no digitalitis or lack of deep bass :D

That would be an option but I'm afraight this idea is not shared by everyone. What about the influence of recording-, mixing- and copy losses, reproduction losses in your hifi, acoustical properties of your listening room? It's impossible to compensate the recording for this deviation. For example: if you could compare a recording of a singing voice to the original voice you'd hardly recognize it.

The only way to find out if reproduction equals the studio recording is by comparing it to the original audio on the studiomonitors. That would be out of the question, I guess. Brent? :clown:

Regards, Jaap:

disco said:

Natural PRat makes reproduction acceptable, true. It's next to absence of 'digitalis' and comes before richness of micro details, to my taste that is.
Regards, Jaap

SimontY said:
Yes Jaap, sadly you are right. But inspite of the inherent obstacles I still believe closeness to live music is our ultimate goal. That is what our ears crave.

100% agree. Rather "more live" over anything.