Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

imperfectcircle said:
Well I woke up this morning and the player is styill working fine, I donno what was wrong I checked and rechecked solder joints, and treid differant opamps and cant find anything wrong. isnt it strange how [problems like that occur. Anyways right now im runnuing AD827's in place of the browndog adapters, and the player is sounding awesome!! Im not even sure im going to put the browndog/opa627's back in! Especially since trhe player is working fine I dont want to mess up anything again:)

Hi there!

Glad to hear it's working ok. I have a similar "static/noise" problem with mine, and it's actually there even after a rebuild onto a different pcb. It's triggered when I unplug and plug the interconnects and it only comes from the left channel I believe, same as you.

Try unplugging and plugging a few times - see if that sets it off. The RF pulse of a fridge motor kicking into life has also set off such a noise in my player previously (but not recently) (I think the grounding and soldering is all top notch since Brent did it so maybe that second thing happening is a thing of the past).

I should also say the problem goes after turning off and on.

Simon

SimontY said:

Hi there!

Glad to hear it's working ok. I have a similar "static/noise" problem with mine, and it's actually there even after a rebuild onto a different pcb. It's triggered when I unplug and plug the interconnects and it only comes from the left channel I believe, same as you.

Try unplugging and plugging a few times - see if that sets it off. The RF pulse of a fridge motor kicking into life has also set off such a noise in my player previously (but not recently) (I think the grounding and soldering is all top notch since Brent did it so maybe that second thing happening is a thing of the past).

I should also say the problem goes after turning off and on.

Simon

Its op amp related, could be the 33uF bypass caps causing it. mmmm. It only did it for me once during tests on your player and it was when I was swapping interconnects.

Brent

awpagan said:

I have tried it in a variety of circuits

I am still undecided:apathic:

allan

Even before I do it, I have my doubts. It can't be anything else than "semi class a", since you only draw current from the positive half of output stage with this method (or the negative if the resistor goes to V+). Not really class A - ehh? Only a way of building up heat in the opamp as far as I can see.

rowemeister said:
Its op amp related, could be the 33uF bypass caps causing it. mmmm. It only did it for me once during tests on your player and it was when I was swapping interconnects.

Brent

Brent, Simon,

I think it's some kind of oscillation problem. Maybe the output resistor (used to be 2x 100R) is too low, causing too much capacitive load (from the interconnect) on the opamp.

Regards,

Ray.

6h5c said:

Brent, Simon,

I think it's some kind of oscillation problem. Maybe the output resistor (used to be 2x 100R) is too low, causing too much capacitive load (from the interconnect) on the opamp.

Regards,

Ray.

Hi Ray,

Hmm, interesting. I have a suspicion it was set off when the ground lost contact and the centre pin was just breaking contact. I might unplug it again and see what happens, if anything.

Simon

I think it may have to do with the oamp and cable not being a good match posibly? Im using some very good and very expensive Straightwire Serenade straightwire serenade maybe they are not a good match?? I also have a Straightwire Encore and a solid core silver interconnect which is believe is a low capacitance cable once im done with the mods Ill try differant cables. The static noise drove me crazy though I thought it was an opamp and since I didnt install sockets i did alot of desoldering and soldering....etc I finally ended up with the AD827 which works fine and sounds really nice. Im afraid to desolder the opamp any more because im affraid ill lift a trace and kill the board alltogether.

So I have some brown dog adapters with opa604+opa627 on them right now, only problem is i screwed up and reversed the ic1 and ic2 on one of them so they have to be desoldered and swapped. I dont have the patients to do this, so if anyone is looking for soem good opamps and would like to make a trade let me know. I will trade for some 100uf and 470uf oscons for the digital sections and 470uf blackgates for the analogue sections or maybe even a partial trade for some +-12v super regs if someone has extras or wiould like to build me some???

Clock signal from DAC to Decoder

I've built Flea based clock to replce my kwak clock and decided to supply clock signal directly to DAC and Decoder. After some discussions with Ray we've noticed that CD67 PCB is wrong and doesn't correspond to schematics! Clock from DAC should be supplied via RD14 to Decoder pin21 (CRIN) and CRIN should be connected to CROUT via 100k (R104) resistor. On CD67 PCB this is implemented in wrong way i.e. clock signal from DAC goes via RD14 to Decoder CROUT and to CRIN via R104! :smash:
As Ray said "This also explains why the mysterious DC offset is present on the input! That's because it's actually an inverter output!".

Attachments

• clock to decoder.jpg
    clock to decoder.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 385
Re: Clock signal from DAC to Decoder

renatas said:
I've built Flea based clock to replce my kwak clock and decided to supply clock signal directly to DAC and Decoder. After some discussions with Ray we've noticed that CD67 PCB is wrong and doesn't correspond to schematics! Clock from DAC should be supplied via RD14 to Decoder pin21 (CRIN) and CRIN should be connected to CROUT via 100k (R104) resistor. On CD67 PCB this is implemented in wrong way i.e. clock signal from DAC goes via RD14 to Decoder CROUT and to CRIN via R104! :smash:
As Ray said "This also explains why the mysterious DC offset is present on the input! That's because it's actually an inverter output!".

The CD63 also has a similar error on the 5v rail where pin 15 is direct from 7805 and not through the resistor. Something to change when fitting regs.

The blue link shows where it actually goes and not how the diagram shows

I cut the track and link out

Brent

Attachments

• decoder.gif
    decoder.gif
    43 KB · Views: 434
Re: Re: Clock signal from DAC to Decoder

rowemeister said:
The CD63 also has a similar error on the 5v rail where pin 15 is direct from 7805 and not through the resistor. Something to change when fitting regs.

Brent

I noticed that one when I was upgrading the '63 PSU. The schematic seems to be correct: pins 15 and 44 have to be connected and fed from the same source, according to the datasheet. Makes you wonder if Marantz engineers actually read it...

This input-output-DC-offset-thing never struck me, until Renatas pointed it out :cannotbe:. I'm getting sloppy :eek:. It's amazing, they actually reversed the input and output, and it remained undetected because the player works fine :D.

Ray.

I noticed that one when I was upgrading the '63 PSU. The schematic seems to be correct: pins 15 and 44 have to be connected and fed from the same source, according to the datasheet. Makes you wonder if Marantz engineers actually read it...

So how do we fix the problem, do we just switch the connection from before r508 to after it??

I started to build a regulator board with2 - 5v regs to seperate the analog and digital feeds to the dac+decoder. i just want to make sure im doin it right. I am going to get the power from the input of the 7805 regulator correct? On the actual regulator board I am usinng a 33uf/25v Oscon on the input of each reg and a 33uf/20v+.1uf film cap on each output , is this correct?? DO I need to put another cap were the power comes into the regulator board, or is it fine as is??

Also after I connect the new regs to the dac and decoder what parts do I remove to disconnect the orgional 5v feed??
thanks
Frank

Re: CD Enhancer

6h5c said:
Hey guys,

Just finished the upgrade of my FET output stage, with Holco and PRP resistors, and big @ss Multicap polyprop & tin foil output caps :D.
Can't wait to plug it in...

Regards,

Ray.

Ray i must say that looks stunning, and will probably sound it too. I'm seriously considering ditching my opa627+ad8610BZR combo for that output stage.

But how easy would it be to implement that into a 63 and would the parts cost a lot.

O btw, i wont have a new player for about a month as im off on hol soon, and still can't be assed to try to fix my borked player. Even though i ripped off a few tracks whilst doing the coax mod, i jumpered the correct parts, did the coax mods and cut the traces, but it still says 'disc' on teh display all the time

:bawling:

Re: Re: CD Enhancer

6h5c said:
Hey guys,

Just finished the upgrade of my FET output stage, with Holco and PRP resistors, and big @ss Multicap polyprop & tin foil output caps :D.
Can't wait to plug it in...

Regards,

Ray.

Hi Ray, oh yes, very nicely made!

adfinni said:

Ray i must say that looks stunning, and will probably sound it too. I'm seriously considering ditching my opa627+ad8610BZR combo for that output stage.

Hi Ad,

If I were you I'd concentrate on getting a player working, then giving it a good old reclocking, upgraded power and new op-amps. That output stage is the icing on the cake and not strictly necessary for lovely and precise detailed sound (IMO etc.).

Simon