Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Luke said:

17 KI is a different dac isnt it? Im convinced you can squeeze more out of a 63 or 67 than 6000, would like to hear your experiences but:)

I downloaded and payed for the CD6000 sevice manual.
This player uses two SM5872 DACS and the OSE and KI version use 6x HDAM modules and no opamps.
I think that player is very moddable and more so than the 17 mkIII as that uses a DAC with a built in opamp. The TX is very nice in the 17 BTW.

Brent

This player uses two SM5872 DACS and the OSE and KI version use 6x HDAM modules and no opamps.

Dont do this to me guy, we have allready estrablished the HDAM are marketing crap and sound better when bypassed;)

The TX is very nice in the 17 BTW

Youd buy a cd player cos its got a nice transformer? Do you know what dac the cd17 family use, I assume its the same for all?

Luke said:
Dont do this to me guy, we have allready estrablished the HDAM are marketing crap and sound better when bypassed;)

I think the point is that there are no op-amps, not that there are HDAMs. I think HDAMs are probably intrinsically good, but they're unnecessarily tacked on in the CD63, hence better removed.

Youd buy a cd player cos its got a nice transformer? Do you know what dac the cd17 family use, I assume its the same for all?

Nice transformer and it's shielded in a copper plated can. It's gotta help. Also it's heavy and surely very solid. This will help the sound. Better transport too. Proably better pcb tracks, and certainly better layout.

Also when you're getting into high end levels of sound, don't you want the looks to match?? I sure would if I could afford it.

As for the DAC, it looks like different versions have different DACs - anyone care to confirm? Some have op-amps built in, some don't.

Simon

Luke said:

I never said the HDAM was better than opamps or vise versa but meant that using HDAM's gives a discrete output. We can make our own discrete pcbs.

The TX or quality of supply is probably the most important part to get right. Get this right then everything else works better.

Brent

Luke said:
you know I have been thinking about the cd17 and Brents last post. It seems odd that Marrantz would put 6 Hdams in the CD6000 and use the internal dac opamp in the cd17MKIII.
Surely this thing blows the 6000 KI in stock form, any one heard it?

seeya ab

All CD63 67 models have 1X SM5872BS DAC
CD6000 has 2X SM5872BS DAC
CD17 mkIII has 2X PCM1716 DAC (built in Burr Brown opamp (opa2134 quite possibly)

Brent

I think the point is that there are no op-amps, not that there are HDAMs. I think HDAMs are probably intrinsically good, but they're unnecessarily tacked on in the CD63, hence better removed.

Yeah I thought so I was being facetious:)

I do rate looks, but I like the looks of the cd6000 too, and if it potentially sounds better than the the cd17 i would be happy with it.

Luke said:

I can remember Thorsten talking about an opamp in a high end dac and he was disgusted they used 5534 or what ever that el cheapo is. Have no idea what PCM1716 uses.

Let me enlighten you ;) from CD17 MKIII

Brent

Attachments

• snap1.jpg
    snap1.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 331
awpagan said:
the sm5872 has an internal opamp

dac's without opamps have current out

allan

ps i'll see if i can find the thread.

No it doesn't!

Those are the output buffers. This DAC has no current nor (analog-) voltage out, but pulse density modulated waveform.

And there are plenty of DAC's without opamps that have voltage outputs :D.
Mostly you get something like a switched capacitor network in return :yuck:.

Regards,

Ray.

Attachments

• delta_sigma_output.gif
    delta_sigma_output.gif
    37.3 KB · Views: 343
Heya

I'm back......................... and i have butchered another poor 63 :rolleyes:

This original version seemed to like letting its pcb traces lift off teh board a lot easier than my previous mkII.

After some plankish attempts at the coax mods, brent steered me in the correct direction for getting it up and running again, but the consistent problems followed by constant soldering, removal, re-soldering etc etc took its tool.

RIP 63 no.2.

Now no.3 will be on its way i think il get a new soldering tip, silver solder, and use the pcb cleaning solvent when modifying my final 63.

Let the murderer comments out guys :hot: :dead: :hot:

rowemeister said:

All CD63 67 models have 1X SM5872BS DAC
CD6000 has 2X SM5872BS DAC
CD17 mkIII has 2X PCM1716 DAC (built in Burr Brown opamp (opa2134 quite possibly)

Brent

CD17 mkII (KI) has TDA1307 and HDAM's.

The mkI says DAC7 in the brochure, which would be TDA1547.
But that is also stated in the mkII brochure where it is that 1307 (?). So maybe typo in the mkII brochure or mkI could also be 1307. HDAM for mkI too.

guido said:

CD17 mkII (KI) has TDA1307 and HDAM's.

The mkI says DAC7 in the brochure, which would be TDA1547.
But that is also stated in the mkII brochure where it is that 1307 (?). So maybe typo in the mkII brochure or mkI could also be 1307. HDAM for mkI too.

So basically if you are getting a CD17 to mod the MKII is the best option!

Brent