Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Malefoda.

Like this !

But do have a steady hand, and don't overheat the 8620.

Attachments

• img_6235 (medium).jpg
    img_6235 (medium).jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 482
avr300 said:
Planning a minimal preamp, AD8620 and a Vishay pot. The 63 sure deserves it.

Hi AVR,

I had a Vishay (10k, linear) in my preamp, but the channel balance at anything like low volume made it unusable.

Then I tried a cheap carbon log 10k pot, and it was barely better. The sound was no worse.

Now I have put in a 20k Alps Blue and the channel balance is exemplary! Very useable late at night!

Sorry it's off-topic everyone else.

Simon

SimontY said:

Hi AVR,

I had a Vishay (10k, linear) in my preamp, but the channel balance at anything like low volume made it unusable.

Then I tried a cheap carbon log 10k pot, and it was barely better. The sound was no worse.

Now I have put in a 20k Alps Blue and the channel balance is exemplary! Very useable late at night!

Sorry it's off-topic everyone else.

Simon

Simon
something simple to control your preamp

http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_105319/article.html
http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_106376/article.html

allan

ps
sorry also
still off topic

headphone tweak...

Hello guys,
Does the 4556 JRC work for the headphone's sound quality?
And will it deserves an upgrade if the headphone is kept? As I use to plug my headphone there instead of the amp, and maybe won't have any headphone output to next stuff, maybe I can improve this part aslo...
So? Any good advice for there? Maybe Another 8620? (I use the AR for main and one 8620 for there?)
Thanks!
Bravo to Beckham...

Malefoda said:
Cannot edit ?
whatever, I meant a AD8620BR for headphone (BR is overpriced for audio I've red...).
Why they used a diffrent opamp for the headphone ?

The headphone opamp is cheaper!!! Ive fitted an OPA2134 in the headphone circuit and fitted better caps and my friend was very happy with the sound output.

Just treat it the same as you would for the main opamps

Brent

In my head...

I'm scared : since I've grounded and rubbered the cristal, the sound is worst... at the same time I've removed from my back wall ( back of the back wall but still the same room... ) I've removed my egg boxes...
I pray for this is the result of boxes removal, not the xtal damaged by heat... ( I've done fast and with a low power iron... ).
Several square meters of egg boxes and the bass are a mess !

OpAmps sounding

To Malefoda

Hi!

Look at this article:

http://tangentsoft.net/audio/opamps.html

There is enough information on OpAmps sounding. But I must say it's question of taste. The best sounding OpAmps are among OPA627/637, AD8610/20', AD825, AD8065/66 etc. If you have enough pieces of Browndog adaptors and some soldering skills you can make your own choice. Most of OpAmps need to be backed - to be in use at least one week to show their real sound. And be carefull with supply voltage - not all OpAmps are designed for 30V!
P.S. All this is of importance if the rest of your stereo is perfect. Otherwise all your efforts will be buried in artefacts due to bad electrolitic capacitors, ceramic capacitors ferrite coils in crossovers etc.

Re: In my head...

Malefoda said:
I'm scared : since I've grounded and rubbered the cristal, the sound is worst... at the same time I've removed from my back wall ( back of the back wall but still the same room... ) I've removed my egg boxes...
I pray for this is the result of boxes removal, not the xtal damaged by heat... ( I've done fast and with a low power iron... ).

Hmm, well the egg boxes wouldn't directly affect the bass performance much. They would provide diffusion in the top-end and removing them could feasibly cause some confusion in the overall presentation. Why did you remove them?

Give your player a day to settle down, that may be all it needs. Don't move it or the wires. See if the sound sorts itself out.

Simon

Re: Re: In my head...

Malefoda said:

SimontY said:

Hmm, well the egg boxes wouldn't directly affect the bass performance much. They would provide diffusion in the top-end and removing them could feasibly cause some confusion in the overall presentation. Why did you remove them?

Give your player a day to settle down, that may be all it needs. Don't move it or the wires. See if the sound sorts itself out.

Simon

Malefoda,

Can you take a picture of your crystal?
The crystal leads should be free of the hot glue.
Bass response might be effected by the stifness of the enclosure (backplane screwed down, how many screws inserted etc).

Jaap