Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

PFM Flea

Hey guys,

Finally: just finished my first Flea! Had to wait for some parts quite some time.
Thank you AD for providing the AD797's :D!
I haven't had the chance to listen to it yet, but I will post my findings soon :yes:....

Ray.

Attachments

• pfm_flea.jpg
    pfm_flea.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 434
PFM Flea

And here's a pic of the dedicated PSU. I used a ready-made module and modified it with schottky's, a nice big cap and the right tranny and a 24V regulator. Now that I think about it, in the end I only used the PCB...:D. So the Flea PCB gets a regulated supply. That makes it a pre-pre-regulated supply, I think :clown:. Nice and neat, eh?

Ray.

Attachments

• pfm_flea_psu.jpg
    pfm_flea_psu.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 428
Re: PFM Flea

6h5c said:
And here's a pic of the dedicated PSU. I used a ready-made module and modified it with schottky's, a nice big cap and the right tranny and a 24V regulator. Now that I think about it, in the end I only used the PCB...:D. So the Flea PCB gets a regulated supply. That makes it a pre-pre-regulated supply, I think :clown:. Nice and neat, eh?

Ray.

Nice - I like it.:D Hard to get the components ?

Now - get it running and do some listing.

Re: Re: PFM Flea

avr300 said:
Nice - I like it.:D Hard to get the components ?

Now - get it running and do some listing.

Thanks. The components weren't hard to get, but I had to wait until I scraped together enough parts for a Farnell order :D. I will do some listening tomorrow evening, can't wait. Almost nap-time now :sleep:...

Here's another pic.

Ray.

Attachments

• pfm_flea_full.jpg
    pfm_flea_full.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 412
Re: Re: Re: Re: PFM Flea

JustIN8 said:
Hi Ray,

Most impressive. :cool: Are you using this on the KI63?

Kind regards,

Justin

Thanks! This player is a CD67-OSE. The Flea + PSU replaces my home-brew Kwak-clock PCB. I'm curious what the difference will be.

avr300 said:
Sweeet (dreams).

What's the OPAMPS on the BDs ? AD8620 ?

After the DAC I use an OPA124 (the one on the top) and in the filter an AD8510.
Have to go to work now :D...

Regards,

Ray.

Re: PFM Flea

6h5c said:

Ray.

Tasty smal PCB Ray. Only 25V for that 1.000uF?
Can I interest you in a 48 drawer cabinet with carbon resistors?
My stock is too large :D
Regards, Jaap

rowemeister said:
Nice work Ray. Hope the extra work as brought more gains ;)

Brent

Thanks Brent. I'm hoping to find that out tonight :cool:.
I expect it to be better, because the clock is now running off a separate PSU.

Originally posted by disco
Tasty smal PCB Ray. Only 25V for that 1.000uF?
Can I interest you in a 48 drawer cabinet with carbon resistors?
My stock is too large :D
Regards, Jaap

Nice eh? I got it from Conrad. It's a small 78Lxx supply originally, but I took (almost) everything off and transformed into 24V. By the way, look harder: that cap is a 1000u/35V ZL :D.
My resistor stock is just fine, thank you :).

Ray.

Re: Re: Re: PFM Flea

6h5c said:

Thanks. The components weren't hard to get, but I had to wait until I scraped together enough parts for a Farnell order :D. I will do some listening tomorrow evening, can't wait. Almost nap-time now :sleep:...

Here's another pic.

Ray.

mica's and styrene's
you and Brent must have cornered there market on mica's by now:clown:

are the reg's version 2
"vari-rayulators"

allan

ps
I like the "state of the art" opamp for the headphones:D

awpagan said:
mica's and styrene's
you and Brent must have cornered there market on mica's by now:clown:

are the reg's version 2
"vari-rayulators"

allan

ps
I like the "state of the art" opamp for the headphones:D

Hi Allan,

Yes, Farnell is out of stock on 120p mica's now :D.
The "Vari-regs" are version 1.0 actually. I bought the PCB's from Eddie Wang's DIY site a while ago. But he seems to be out of stock, so I decided to make them myself for the next player, with fixed resistors. They are now known as:.........the "Raygulators"! :clown:

"That poor 4556 is all that remains" :clown:

Regards,

Ray.

Hello all, im a newbie here and just want to thank everyone for the wwealth of info available on this site for cd63/67 modders. I owned a cd63se years ago which I had done all the usual mods, caps, opamps...etc. It eventually died and I switched over to vinyl for a while. I recently got a great deal on a used cd63 and Im thinking about doing some mods on it. I am going to gather all my spare parts and see what I have and then place an order to digikey and get what I need to do the basics. I plan on just doing the basics to start, upgrading the lytics to panny fc+bypass, schottky diodes, opamps, damping of the chassis....etc But down the road I would like to take the player even farther and add a clock and better regs and even maybe an external PSU. I have an extra tranny from my old cd63 that id like to use, im just not sure what for just yet. Also wanted to ask if anyone has treid out Burson audio products?

http://www.bursonaudio.com/Burson Products.htm

Hello Everyone

I just finished the Servo HF RF Motor Driver mod from Brent mod list. I used PRP 1% precision resistors,Caddock 1%, Black Gate, and silver mica caps.
I didn't do the RF amp PCB yet I wanted to here what changes there would be just to the main PCB, and all I can say is WOW :happy2: increased detail tighter bass I am going to give it some more time to burn in it's been about 4 hours now.

Regards

Dave :cool:

Gooch said:
Hello Everyone

I just finished the Servo HF RF Motor Driver mod from Brent mod list. I used PRP 1% precision resistors,Caddock 1%, Black Gate, and silver mica caps.
I didn't do the RF amp PCB yet I wanted to here what changes there would be just to the main PCB, and all I can say is WOW :happy2: increased detail tighter bass I am going to give it some more time to burn in it's been about 4 hours now.

Regards

Dave :cool:

Excellent mate. The servo mods really do bring the finer details out.

Brent

imperfectcircle said:
Also wanted to ask if anyone has treid out Burson audio products?

http://www.bursonaudio.com/Burson Products.htm

Hi, and welcome to this thread. The CD63 can be lifted to great heights as you may have already read. Good luck with the mods, and if you have any questions or encounter any problems, feel free to post here.

Never tried Burson myself, I see they have some products called HDAM :D. How ironic, the HDAM circuit is the part we've been bypassing lately :D. Maybe it can be a nice replacement for the opamps? But if you are skilled with the soldering iron I would recommend fitting a FET/transistor output stage & passive filter instead. Much more fun and cheaper :smash:

Regards,

Ray.