Marantz CD6000 "ERROR" messages - Help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Only one original fails, I get an error message. Its a rock compilation from a petrol station so probably not the best quality anyway.

I have issues so far with maxell CD-RW in that the CD will skip as if it is scratched, usually towards the middle and end of the disc.
I tried a TDK CD-RW with the same issues.

I am going to have a closer loook through my recordable CD's and see if there are any that it will play all the way through.

Only one original fails, I get an error message. Its a rock compilation from a petrol station so probably not the best quality anyway.

I have issues so far with maxell CD-RW in that the CD will skip as if it is scratched, usually towards the middle and end of the disc.
I tried a TDK CD-RW with the same issues.

I am going to have a closer loook through my recordable CD's and see if there are any that it will play all the way through.

Then it doesn't seem a cap problem but a scratch problem. When the cap fail, CD is not recognised at all. Anyway, your experience could be useful for other so don't hesitate in sharing your findings.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Mechanical sound when the disc is spinning could be the disc clamp assembly fouling the disc or perhaps the disc height (platter on motor shaft) is incorrect but that's unlikely and in any case is something to be looked at carefully. Its easy to cause more problems.

Also make sure the tray fully completes any loading cycle and is in the correct fully loaded position when playing.

Any fouling (however slight) can easily cause the player to lose lock (the error message) as the servo fails to lock correctly to the data stream.

Ok I just put whole new laser assembly in. I pulled the cover off the top of the unit and put in a disc and played it. It almost seems like the disc is not spinning at the same speed as the spindle when it is searching. Could it be slipping? That is a whole new assembly though.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
This is a CDM12.1 laser assembly isn't it ?

Unlikely to be slipping but not impossible I guess. The clamp is magnetic. Also with a disc in place and the player stopped look edge on at the rim of the disc and turn slowly by hand. There should (ideally) be no detectable wobble or run out at the disc rim. In other words the disc should run true. Although it sounds drastic if you just try and slow the disc by hand you should be able to gauge if there is any slippage. The player will stop and throw a fit but you should be able to tell.

I once had a CDM12.4 (similar mech) delivered where the platter was pushed down the motor shaft.

Image gallery

Hi All. Though I'm a faithful diyAudio reader, this is my first post here. I've written a how-to guide about the CD6000 CDR bug fix based on my own experience. Following that I've been able to solve this problem.

You can find it at wikHiFi and contains step by step guide, list of tools and material (even where to get it) and a image gallery.

wikHiFi is a new audio wiki project I hope it could be useful for many people, even participating in writing articles or just reading them. At this time the wiki is quite empty, in fact in only contains a Marantz CD6000 article and a CD-R bug fix howto, but I hope it keeps growing with the contributions of the audio community.

Regards.

Hi

This article looks just the thing I need to fix the issue with my CD6000SE. The image gallery link in the wiki doesn't work - any chance of fixing the link so I can see the pictures?

Cheers

John, UK

The problem with reading CD-Rs is caused by a missing 10pF capacitor on the HF Amp pcb.
The HF Amp pcb is attached to the underside of the transport.
The transport has to be removed from the machine in order to access this pcb.
Orientate the copper (track) side of the pcb so that the semi-circular cutaway in the narrow tongue of the pcb is facing downwards.

You will see a group of four or five surface-mount resistors and capacitors situated adjacent to and above IC7404 (PC74HCU04D), which is the smaller of the two ICs on the other (component) side of the pcb, the other IC being 7500 (TDA1302T).

In the middle of the square formed by this group of resistors and capacitors you will see a space labelled 2509, (located immediately to the right of 3504, a 22K resistor).
This is the location of the missing 10Pf capacitor, which if it were present, would be connected in parallel with the 22K resistor (3504). I found that an ohm meter was very useful here, just to be sure the vacant pads were in parallel with 3504.

Since I added a ceramic disk capacitor to my machine (my eyes are not good enough to worh with surface-mount components), I've not had any problems with any makes of CD-R.

I hope this fix solves your problems too.

Unfortunately I do not have any schematics or drawings of this mod.

Hi- I am new to this Forum but the problems I have read here apply exactly to the Ford Focus CD6000 players. They will only play ORIGINAL CDs, CDs created on my PC get ejected with ERROR message or play with jumps every 5 or 10 seconds. Do you think that the CAPACITOR solution will apply equally to my CD6000 Radio/CD player in my car?

Tony

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The 'cap fix' is specific to the Philips pickup.

Players in cars use totally different mechanisms and pickup assemblies I'm afraid.

Have you tried using a different brand of disc ? and also try burning at either a faster or slower rate. Faster can actually give better results in may cases despite what you may read. Also try creating a disc on a different PC is possible as a test. Perhaps the lens in the player needs cleaning. That's another possibility because the signal from home recorded discs is not as defined as original disc. If the player is marginal then it might object.

The 'cap fix' is specific to the Philips pickup.

Players in cars use totally different mechanisms and pickup assemblies I'm afraid.

Have you tried using a different brand of disc ? and also try burning at either a faster or slower rate. Faster can actually give better results in may cases despite what you may read. Also try creating a disc on a different PC is possible as a test. Perhaps the lens in the player needs cleaning. That's another possibility because the signal from home recorded discs is not as defined as original disc. If the player is marginal then it might object.

Thank you very much for the info - I have tried some of your suggestions but not all. Will have another go today. Don't hold out much hope though as I have seen that everybody else with these cars have the same problem.
Cheers
Tony

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.