Marantz CD-50 and CD-60, TDA1541, CDM4/19

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Connect now please - it's only 1 am over there !
We have been waiting for this moment for months Jonas...c'mon hurry !!
and remember....hold your jaw with your hand to stop it hitting the floor ! hahaha:D

Though I'm still up, I haven't put the -15V reg in yet. This'll have to wait until tomorrow. I imagine it will take some time to sound right though since so many new parts need to settle in the cd-player.

Did go NOS with this one as I have the CD-50 and 60 that are still OS.

Still alot to be done in this cd-player, but it should definetly sound better than stock...wich was like a cold shower after listening to the somewhat modified CD-60.

Yes understood - burn in and all that stuff but.....straight away you'll notice it.
It'll smoke the old player from cold immediately and will sound so clean and natural you'll be stunned.
Not exactly Audio magazine reviewer language ( urgh ) but you'll know what I mean.
It really is an immediately audible jump

Prepare yourself for the moment !!

Yes understood - burn in and all that stuff but.....straight away you'll notice it.
It'll smoke the old player from cold immediately and will sound so clean and natural you'll be stunned.
Not exactly Audio magazine reviewer language ( urgh ) but you'll know what I mean.
It really is an immediately audible jump

Prepare yourself for the moment !!

Looking forward to hearing the results, will report as soon as I have listened to a CD or two. :)

Then I'll take it apart again and do the decoupling of the TDA1541A, DEM cap etc.

After all 3 cd-players are done I'll have to take some real time to listen and decide which one stays and which will be sold.

Can't justify having 3 cd-players and one dac with TDA1541A to the better half. Also there are more projects waiting. I'll get 2 Zappulse 200W digital amps(to make one stereo amp) and 2 The End(to make one stereo class A amp). They'll hopefully arrive tomorrow.

Then I should get new output tubes for my 6p1p PP amp within 10-14days. If there's nothing more wrong with it, it should sound great w new tubes.

Also going to start building an integrated remote controlled amp for my nephew. I've got all parts except for the PS to the tripath poweramp part of the amp (2x100W @ 4ohms).

He's allready got speakers that I built a few years ago.

In other words, there's lots to solder at the moment, lovely :D

Got these today. The digital poweramps only need a PS and an enclousure.
The Class A amp The End by LcAudio needs new transistors(got these too) and PS.

ZapPulse
Audio Data
Output power
- up to 200W in 8 Ohms
- up to 400W in 4 Ohms
- up to 600W in 2 Ohms
Signal/Noise Ratio 105 dBA
Damping Factor 133 (8 Ohms)
THD : 0,07% @ 1 KHz / 10 W / 8 Ohm (BWL)

DSC00323.jpg

DSC00321.jpg

The End
DSC00319.jpg

DSC00317.jpg

Mine was on a separate board, probably 3-4cm away, I never had chance to try it any closer but I still noticed a vast improvement!

Hmm, if I can't make 100% sure that the regs are mechanicly stable where they are, I'll have to move them to a veroboard. I have to do something about the reg for SAA7220 anyway since it's in the way of the mechanism.

Last edited:
I have had a bit of success recently with the 1541 by placing just a regulator by the chip, I then altered my 'remote' supply to 7v. The local regulator just drops it to 5v - I'm pretty sure there's a post in this thread with the details but at 60 pages (!) I can't seem to find it!

I'm sure this technique would work with the 7220 and by only having the reg you might save a bit of space. I only have a heatsink on the remote regs as well but the 7220 might need a local one.

Did you do the shunt regs? I saved those schematics.

There's only a problem with space for the SAA7220 reg, the others fit just fine since they are only regs an 2-3caps soldered right on the pins. My concern would be how firmly the regs are in place if I where to transport the cd-player. only one solder holds each reg in place. If I find it sounds great and I'm satisfied w the results I could always attach the regs to the pcb with glue or something that I haven't thought of yet.

The SAA7220 reg will have to be moved a few cm though to give space for the mechanism.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.