Marantz CD-50 and CD-60, TDA1541, CDM4/19

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Any updates on the 7220 seperate ps and the reclock ?

Btw, greetings from Denmark :)

Regards
Kim

Hi there neighbor :)

Btw, my stepfather is from Denmark.

I've ordered a 27R 3W resistor today to give the TPR a final test with a 175mA load.

I'm waiting for replacement elcos for the ones I soldered in the wrong way while running a fever...poff.

Then I'll start by replacing them, fitting the TPR w transformer.

Regards,
Jonas

Recieved replacement caps today :)

Rubycon_ZL_470uF_25V_2.jpg

Don't know if I'll have time to work on the CD-60 today though.

Last edited:
More CD-75DX.

Made a small, nothing fancy, well heatsinked reg for SAA7220
DSC00246.jpg

Got Vin from Vin pin on the original 7805
DSC00249.jpg

Grounded the reg as close to SAA7220 I could
DSC00250.jpg

Removed the resistor to Vdd on SAA7220, connected the reg through out leg in the hole left (a few mm from 7220 Vdd pin) and soldered it there.

Result, not tested yet as there's much more to be done
DSC00255.jpg

DSC00254.jpg

DSC00251.jpg

Did the same on TDA1549 based player.

I also added a dedicated 7805 for the dac in a Philips CD740.
It really makes a difference :eek:

Together with all the cap upgrades in the player, and signal taken directly from the dac via 3,3uF Obbligato's, it makes for an extremely nice sounding machine.

I haven't started working on the CD40 yet, other than replacing the tray drive wheel.

I also got another player to work on, a Teac with 2 x TDA1541A, it already sound pretty good standard, but it cannot touch the modified TDA1549.

Sorry for the OT ramble, just wanted to chime in with my impression after the dedicated DAC power mod.

Regards
Kim

I also added a dedicated 7805 for the dac in a Philips CD740.
It really makes a difference :eek:

Together with all the cap upgrades in the player, and signal taken directly from the dac via 3,3uF Obbligato's, it makes for an extremely nice sounding machine.

I haven't started working on the CD40 yet, other than replacing the tray drive wheel.

I also got another player to work on, a Teac with 2 x TDA1541A, it already sound pretty good standard, but it cannot touch the modified TDA1549.

Sorry for the OT ramble, just wanted to chime in with my impression after the dedicated DAC power mod.

Regards
Kim

Hi Kim!
Nice to what others have done :)
I'm guessing the DAC in your philips is a V-out dac and not a I-out dac like the 1541A?

In my dac build I'll run it with opamps first to get an idea of that sound. Then I'll use a tube output with a single ECC86(dual triode).

Back to the CD-75dx.
I'll swap caps for ELNA RJH and sanyo OScon SEPC. Some Rubycon ZL too.
Will give the TDA1541A separate regs as well(+5,-5 and -15) and the SAA7210.

It doesn't seem to have bipolar output caps like the cd-50 and cd-60, but rather old elna silmic's. I could replace them with 6,8uF MKP's anyways?

Hi May-day.

Yep the TDA1549 is a v out dac, and I also tried it briefly with a 6N16 cathode follower, but the soundstage was much smaller and not as accurate.
It also lowered the output too much.

The sound might have more to do with the fact that there was two cheap film caps in the signal path, instead of just one now.

Tomorrow I might try it with a SRPP 6N16 stage with two Obbligato caps instead.
It should give higher output and better sound with the better caps.
And I already have the tube stages build.

I also used lots of Oscon's and they work well and are cheap too.

Regards
Kim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.