Mar-Kel70 in Sweden

Well, i feel like i don't want to experiment with my little money i have. Yes, when i get older, get a good and steady income i might experiment with different builds and such. But for now i want something that gives a lot of bang for the buck and that has very low fail-rate.

Pit - thanks for the consideration, "we" aren't a bit concerned about what design or drivers are employed, or where they're purchased.

Particularly for a beginner, there can be an overwhelming amount of data / "helpful advice" to sort through, and any time spent in consideration as to goals (both immediate and long term) of the system is never wasted.

There's no doubt that a first DIY build can be a bit intimidating; unless you buy a well reputed complete kit, you're always second-guessing yourself - even when it sounds satisfying when you first turn it on, it's hard to resist the need for validation from those with more "experience".

In the case of full/wide-range speaker systems (whether single or multiple drivers), the issue of XO and perhaps even filters/EQ can be eliminated. The degree of self confidence this can impart to a first time builder shouldn't be overlooked.

IINM, one of the designs under consideration at one point was the dual driver microtower. I'd suggest this is still worth consideration for a first build - a relatively simple box with a very small footprint requiring no XO or BSC when used near a supporting boundary ( I personally find the "castle" version with up-firing second driver to be most practical for placement in small rooms). Clearly there's a compromise in terms of maximum SPL/bass extension, but alternatively by the time you tally the cost of bass driver(s) and passive XO components, the total expense could be lower.

A powered sub woofer can always be added for support, and many of the better "plate amp" versions have at least a rudimentary High Pass filter at both line and speaker level to relieve the mains of "heavy lifting" in the bottom octave or two.

Chris, the thing is, many firsttimers get clobbered by people thinking themselves to be "old hands" and telling them they´ll never get it right. Due to lack of money and workspace I´m reduced to what GM calls a "DIY Talking Head" at the moment - but if planet 10 or diyers need contact to German firms I´ll be happy to to heat telephone lines.

I don't know if you've heard about Olle Mirsch but it was a man constructing speakers in the 70's
My father owns a pair of Olle Mirsch OM-61 in really good shape.
Borrowed them yesterday and tried them out. The sound was... Very different!
It was hard, my ears were hurting after just a few minutes of listening at (my) normal volume when i'm alone in the house.
They were good for female voices, acoustic and older rock such as old metallica, AC/DC and such. But for newer rock, which i listen to and everything else it was just terrible. The did pack a lot of punch in the lower regions, no sub needed! And they were able to play really loud, louder than i will ever play. I let my father borrow the remote control and i had to hold my ears and walk out of the room. That loud!

I think they were too hard and sharp at the top. The midrange was a little too slow, for an example they didn't reproduce Mustach - Double Nature pretty well. It sounded... all messed up with no control.
The bass was very good. Maybe not as deep/loud as i want it but i had no sub plugged in.
I know these speakers are more than 30 years old but for some reason they didn't fit well with today's music.

Dave,
Here you got the story from Olle Mirsch himself. Use google translator and you will have a good laugh also

http://user.faktiskt.se/vee-eight/ollemirsch/Mirsch means music.pdf

Funny, I listened to OM-61 many years ago, they were really good. Maybe your dad's OM-61 need some love and care.
Also, do not forget the crappy recordings of today.

Peter

Edit: Hmm, looks like you have to log in to the forum in order the read or download. I see if I can compress the file this evening if you are interested?

Last edited: