Mar-Kel70 in Sweden

Duty... seems to be some sort of tax for importing things. VAT seems to be the thing we call "Moms" here in sweden.
So, i think i remember the VAT was around 20-25% or so. That makes it A LOT more expensive from canada or whatever it is.

But, do you still recommend CSS EL70 for this build? Will it be able to play loud enough? And what box will be used? Any plans?

Edit: True with that, just around 500km to the place where this company is. To canada it is... very far!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
But, do you still recommend CSS EL70 for this build? Will it be able to play loud enough? And what box will be used? Any plans?

Yes. Given you are doing a FAST you can get away with sealed or a midTL for the EL70. If you'd like it to be useable with the woofer in a pinch the primeSize miniOnken would be my 1st choice.

Plans can be made (or already exist)

dave

Probably, maybe take it on PM?

Well actually, take it from an accounting officer for a mid-sized manufacturing firm who has experienced several colon-oscopic forensic audits :eek: by very capable Chartered Accountants during the past 15yrs, almost any conscious attempt or "innocent" overlooking of tax / reporting / remitting regulations is likely to be discovered. The long term cost can be much greater than any putative savings - as a result, I personally tend to resign to "rendering unto Ceasar" - and let chips fall where they may as far as the net landed costs are concerned. Unfortunately, acceptance of such philosophy by CEO's is sometimes not so simple.

For frugal DIYers with no aversion to risk, take whatever advice suits your comfort zone.

Last edited:
:D Chris - you´re a pro, so you get thrown with everything, encluding the kitchen sink. An amateur, baking small bread, might even get secret tips how to cut corners. Public servants ain´t vampyres, as long as you say "please" and "thanks"...and as to VAT (Viciuolsly Added Tax) - I believed 19% in Germany are manslaughter, 25% in Sweden is murder.:mad:

Hi again!

I'd like to know which cabinet i will be using. I don't think i can afford this build if it needs 2 sheets of plywood. The subs will cost around 2700 swedish crones, and the fullrange will cost prob 500-800each. And the plywood will cost around 1050 swedish crones.
I had a budget of 4000 so i'm already way over it.
So, what cabinets can fit on a 2500x1250 sheet?

:D So you´re off "thinking big" and into counting pennies before spending millions? Good show, young sir - many of us old men did it the wrong way, starting a luxury yacht project with dhingy money and falling flat on our face.

German DIY HiFi mag´s "Cheap Tricks" might be an idea - I built #163 some 17 years ago and they still have people look very astonished.:p

Can u show me the #163's?

The CSS EL70's will be imported from Finland and will cost me 498kr each, 64$ each.
The drivers in total will cost me 3500kr, 448$. And one sheet of plywood is was around 1050 so that's 4550, a bit over my budget. 582$.
But, hopefully i can get some money in some way.
Btw, if two sheets are needed i have to use MDF. Birchplywood will be too expensive in that case.

Rullknufs, stay away from MDF. That stuff is OK for bass or subwoofer cabinets, but no good with fullrange. Cheap particle board may be a lot of work to make it look good, but it doesn´t "ring". Ask a professional painter which filler and prepaint to use - telling you any German brand names wouldn´t help, so I don´t.

Yeah, but two sheets of plywood will crack my budget by far.
In that case i will have to sell my amplifier aswell. I even started thinking of it, buying an amp without DAC and buying an Asus Xonar D1/DX soundcard instead. It's much better than HK3490 DAC and costs around 100$ or so.
But in that case i have to get a new amp...

Last edited: