Mar-Kel70 in Sweden

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
By the way. What made it impossible to have the EL70 and SDX7 on the same baffle?

Nothng makes it impossible. I like to use the extra rolloff. And i like to be able to ise pairs in push-push, so tend to like to side mount them.

... including shipping, customs, VAT and other fees. That sucks...

The country has to fund the liberal social benefits that Swedes get... those taxes go a long ways to paying for your post secondary education and that vasectomy yo'll get in 30 years...

And the fact that they have to include shipping in the value makes it cost around $35 more than necessary. CSS was nice and did not include shipping while Emotiva says it's against the law not to... Differences between Canada and USA?

Illegal? Huh. The form asks for the value of the contents, postage is also on the form, it is up to the country's customs to decide whether they tax the postage,

dave

check out Dadawa - Sister Drum

Did not exist on Spotify. It did exist on youtube but life performings and crappy quality. I found a place where i could borrow it from the web but seems like it's not working that good...

By the way, i just ordered a pair of AKG K271 MKII headphones. They cost almost as much as my speakers. I expect them to be more full-range (going deeper in the bass) but i think it will lose in mid-range quality. Hopefully getting them this coming week :)

Helder 2050 MkII is very good.

Hi, in reply to your question about the different versions of 2050 and their sounds, I've been comparing the Helder 2050 MkII boards (@100W into 4 ohms) vs the Virtue amplifiers (pre-assembled).

The Helders are still in break-in and at this point I'd rather listen to the Virtues, but they are very clearly improving with the passing of time. For $100USD for the pair + 20USD postage, these represent a VERY good investment in stock form, and if you modify the input and filter caps as I intend to do, they hold much, much promise.

If you don't fancy the idea of buying separate enclosures and assembling the whole thing, just get a Virtue Two.2... or even a Virtue Sensation... they drive 4 Ohms easily and sound truly, impressively great, better than any commercially available amps I've heard in the under $6K to $10K range !

I'll also be comparing with the HifiDIyMe.com and Sure Electronics offerings as they are about $44 for a 2 channel high current amp!

My advice?
I think you'd find any of these amps to be more than satisfactory even when driving low impedance loads, and this with most speakers that have 84+ dB efficiency. Helder amps have the "advantage" that you're dealing with a European (if that's important to you, it isn't really a factor for me). And they work right out of the box, too, no issues reported.
But at twice the price of the others. Still a true bargain when you compare to commercially available amps!

Also, if you want to deal only with "reputable" places, consider the Sure electronics boards, but get them from Parts-Express.com .... they are based in the USA but ship to Europe.

Even so, until I've more extensively evaluated, modded and compared the Helders and the other units cited, I'd still bet on the Virtue amps for the best "budget" amps available.

Hi, in reply to your question about the different versions of 2050 and their sounds, I've been comparing the Helder 2050 MkII boards (@100W into 4 ohms) vs the Virtue amplifiers (pre-assembled).

The Helders are still in break-in and at this point I'd rather listen to the Virtues, but they are very clearly improving with the passing of time. For $100USD for the pair + 20USD postage, these represent a VERY good investment in stock form, and if you modify the input and filter caps as I intend to do, they hold much, much promise.

If you don't fancy the idea of buying separate enclosures and assembling the whole thing, just get a Virtue Two.2... or even a Virtue Sensation... they drive 4 Ohms easily and sound truly, impressively great, better than any commercially available amps I've heard in the under $6K to $10K range !

I'll also be comparing with the HifiDIyMe.com and Sure Electronics offerings as they are about $44 for a 2 channel high current amp!

My advice?
I think you'd find any of these amps to be more than satisfactory even when driving low impedance loads, and this with most speakers that have 84+ dB efficiency. Helder amps have the "advantage" that you're dealing with a European (if that's important to you, it isn't really a factor for me). And they work right out of the box, too, no issues reported.
But at twice the price of the others. Still a true bargain when you compare to commercially available amps!

Also, if you want to deal only with "reputable" places, consider the Sure electronics boards, but get them from Parts-Express.com .... they are based in the USA but ship to Europe.

Even so, until I've more extensively evaluated, modded and compared the Helders and the other units cited, I'd still bet on the Virtue amps for the best "budget" amps available.

Thanks!

Yes, ordering from Europe would be really nice since there would be no VAT or customs for me. Any places in europe (except 41Hz which i already know of)?

Heck with it... Get a Virtue Amp

Well, if you want the boards pre-assembled and tested, and it MUST come from Europe, you could try Autocostruire from Italy, but at their prices you won't be saving any money at all!

2 years ago I got a 41Hz amp which sits unbuilt in its little bag.... the reason for not building it yet ??? It's SMD.... ALL of it is Surface Mounted Devices !! I can't build it because I CAN"T SEE THE %#@@g PARTS! And even if I could see them I'd need 200Euros worth of specialized soldering tools to put it together, along with a high powered magnifying assembly lamp!

My advice: forget about having someone build the 41Hz kit for you, it's gonna cost you LOTS of extra Euros to find someone that can actually build it. And even more if he or she screws it up.

Go with pre-assembled. For the least expensive known good option, I'd recommend the Sure Electronics with the Meanwell 24V supply, both available for a song at Parts Express.

Compare with Autoconstruire: For 170 Euro they sell a board like this
Autocostruire il negozio degli autocostruttori

Now, from Parts-Express in Dayton, Ohio USA: a Sure Electronics 4 CHANNEL amp board of nearly identical parts chipset and power for $52 USD
Sure 4x100W @ 4 Ohm TK2050 Class-D Audio Amplifier Board

Do the math: even if your shipping + VAT + customs adds up to $100USD additional, you are still spending about 100Euro total vs 170 Euro + Shipping

It may be possible the Autocostruire sounds better, I don't know because I haven't compared. At 170 Euros + Power Supply + Case + Assembly time it gets to be about 400 Euros, a lot more expensive than the AWESOME sounding Virtue Two.2

(BTW I'm selling my still brand new in the box Two.2 demo unit for $419 USD vs $450 new, Virtue exhibited with me at RMAF last year and I'm selling my demo units... see us at HolisticAudio.com... it's astonishing how well these little amps can push my big $36K speakers which are 3.3 Ohms. The sound is just gorgeous.)

You know, there's something I just don't understand about Europe: why does everything there cost 50% to 150% more for the same piece?

And what I really don't understand is why more people in Europe are afraid of buying overseas? OK, so China has a bad reputation... BUT.....
What about buying from reputable vendors in the USA like PartsExpress or Madisound?
Or even if you insist on dealing only with Europeans, Arjen Helder at HelderHifi is European (probably Dutch). He lives in China, but he IS European and is very keen on letting people know that he is a REPUTABLE seller by virtue of being European. BTW, his amps are twice the price of the Sure at PartsExpress.

I'm doing a comparison between them to see if there is much difference in the sound. There shouldn't be, but layouts and parts choice make a huge difference. Less of an issue if you intend to substitute parts like I do to get the best sound. At that point it's down to layout, and Helder says he's spent months evaluating. I'll report what I discover, if you're interested.

About European prices:
Listen, I go to Europe a lot, sometimes for extended periods, and when i need something over there, I generally find it's still much cheaper to buy at PartsExpress than to buy from any of the European supply houses I have encountered. Yes, even when adding 20%VAT and shipping.
You know, there are numerous outfits in Germany and the Netherlands selling kits and speaker components, and all of them are well over twice the price compared to Parts Express or Madisound here in the US.
Funny thing is that the guys at Madisound told me many of their repeat clients are in Germany.... hmmm.... think it's possible some of those vendors could be re-selling what they get from PE or Madisound? (BTW, IF you find an inexpensive one please let me know!)

You know, lots of audiophiles seem to believe nothing can be good when it is truly inexpensive. It takes a LOT of effort to de-program people from that brain-washing. But even so, gear like the Virtue is slowly making believers out of seasoned listeners, by blowing away lots of $10K amps for under 500USD !!
And yes, I do mean blowing them away... it's not just hyperbole or big words. This is the opinion of a die-hard tube fanatic (me) who has been listening on highly modified Moscode tube/mosfet amps and triode SETs before getting on the Virtue bandwagon. The higher the resolution of the speakers and front end, the more the Virtues seem to shine.

I can only hope I can get my modded Helder and Sure amps to come close, as I'm looking to incorporate them into powered versions of my speakers.

And, like I said, if you want my Virtue Two.2, well you can reach me here!
Let us know what you wind up with.

Happy Trails

Well put, mr. Caldwell. I must comment on one small thing though:

It's SMD.... ALL of it is Surface Mounted Devices !! I can't build it because I CAN"T SEE THE %#@@g PARTS! And even if I could see them I'd need 200Euros worth of specialized soldering tools to put it together, along with a high powered magnifying assembly lamp!

Specialized parts are absolutely not needed when building surface mount :) Just tweezers and some cheap liquid flux. Surface-mount is mostly about the methods used, more so than through-hole.

-- Eyesight is certainly a factor however. I guess it's also a love-it-or-hate-it type of deal. I love it :)

But let's not get into that. I'd hate to blunt the impact of mr. Caldwell's excellent post.

I find some things to be quite interesting with that Sure 4x100W board.

1. They say it's 4x100W but that's at 4Ohm and 10%THD.

2. Frequency response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz (±3 dB)
Isn't ±3 dB quite bad?

And i have always imagined that Class D isn't very good for other than subwoofer-use. Or?

I find some things to be quite interesting with that Sure 4x100W board.

1. They say it's 4x100W but that's at 4Ohm and 10%THD.

Isn't ±3 dB quite bad?

And i have always imagined that Class D isn't very good for other than subwoofer-use. Or?

That's at 100W @ 4 Ohm <10% THD

But there specs state:

Audiophile Quality Sound

0.007% THD+N @ 30W 8ohm
0.005% THD+N @ 70W 4ohm

Isn't ±3 dB quite bad?

That frequency response quote is indeed kind of strange. In this amp type, Tripaths, the freq. response is usually -3dB at about 3Hz to 10Hz lower end, which is quite low enough. And then usually -1dB down at most at 20KHz, upper end. (I'd guess that that 3dB@20/20spec is just something they pulled out of nowhere - it's too tidy to be anything else IMO.)

Class D indeed used to be considered only for subwoofer use, but in recent years there have been some pretty amazing developments and there are Class D amps available now that have superb overall sound quality. I love them for similar reasons as fullranges - very musically engaging, inexpensive, and elegant.

Class D indeed used to be considered only for subwoofer use, but in recent years there have been some pretty amazing developments and there are Class D amps available now that have superb overall sound quality. I love them for similar reasons as fullranges - very musically engaging, inexpensive, and elegant.

I concur. I really like my TA2024 and TPA3123.