Magico Mini

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd buy it Shin!! 'cept my wife still loves me...so howzabout " I have my hi fi, AND my wife..no wonder I've got the horn' ? ha ha.

I will admit quite freely that at least Limono is 'playing the game' here with humor, so no need to get nasty at all.

Still, this thread hasn't got a lot of life left in it has it?

Ps, I do agree on the looks of the speaker, but hey it's what it sounds like that's important.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Cal Weldon said:
:cop:

OK, if you're all finished taking little jabs, may we stick to the topic please? I'd hate to do anything out of character with the the season right now.

I thought it was all good natured fun. I'm not a good judge though, as my idea of fun is slightly skewed.

limono said:

She let me play the music loud for 10 years before she said enough:dead:

Most women (at least the ones I've been unfortunate enough to get entangled with ) are complete dullards when it comes to audio appreciation. Why bother with so many watts when you can't crank it once in a while? Total party-poopers.
If I had a nickle for every time I've heard "turn that s**t down!" I'd be rich.

This thread is finished but I could not resist the temptation to post this .Maybe you guys could help this man from Pro-Ac thread.

Post #7
I don't know how they make those speakers - but they sound so much better than what they should according to components inside. I have built ProAc Clone hoping to upgrade from Studio 125, and it did not come even close. Studios kicked Clone's a** in every respect, and I had top notch components in Clones. This was just a beginning in series of DIY disappointments, which ended with Gainclone. I am now seriously thinking in buying Studio 140 without even auditioning them, if I could only get rid of Clones somehow, they are almost impossible to sell.

Happy Holidays :D

I can picture it now....waiting, waiting, waiting for the 'right comment to back me up' and then post it back here!!

Fair enough too I might add.

Would be good if you also kept your eyes out (and mind open) for the comments that show the OPPOSITE, you know 'wow, for the money I spent and saved I have no idea why more people don't try cloning these over priced commercial offerings' or somesuch.

True, I might build it and because I did it sounds GREAT! (when it sounds rubbish, ie I could be fooling myself) so that is a factor to bear in mind.

Just keep an open mind on it, sure you might have no intention of doing so but that certainly doesn't mean it can't be done. Is there anyone one at all in some sort of proximity to you where you can hear the fruits of a cloning endeavour?

Might at least give you a touchstone for your position, and for all I know might even prove it to you that DIYers cannot clone a commercial offering! Either way, fun and instructive.

Anyway, no need to clone the mini, but we do need to learn how to clone the successor!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
terry j said:
Would be good if you also kept your eyes out (and mind open) for the comments that show the OPPOSITE, you know 'wow, for the money I spent and saved I have no idea why more people don't try cloning these over priced commercial offerings' or somesuch.

Here one is... and no "its my baby" bias.

i have one complaint about the speakers that I bought from you on Saturday.

They have made me sorry that I wasted all this time on lesser speakers
in the past. I have had them on for about 8 hours so far and they just
get better and better.

what a great concept: excellent sound at an affordable price.

it was great meeting you and now enjoying your "aural offspring". look
forward to many hours of listening pleasure, and they have impressed
other critical listeners as well.

Now it should be noted that these aren't a clone, but an original based on a T Forman design.

dave

working on something similar

So here goes. I sort of began a clone of the Mini today. I have 2 ATD drivers, The SS tweeters, plenty of birch plywood, aluminum. I have a guy with a 12hp Hass CNC macineing center, and I plan on having the cross sections water jetted. I'm using Alibre Design Expert for all my drawings and caculations. My major concerns are the following:

The ATD driver sold through e-speakers doesn't have the bucking magnet on the back. I have the appoprate magnet, but the back of the speaker isn't shaped flat. I am skeptical that this is actually the driver used by magico.

Additionally the ATD driver that magico uses has a vented spider. The drivers I received are not. The only ven is behind the voice coil. The chassis for the ATD is basically an AUDAX. The construction doesn't seem to blow me away, especially when compared to Scan Speak or Seas drivers at 1/3rd the price.

Everything I have seen in LEAP sims indicates very poor bass response. I am altering the overall design with one major improvement:

Instead of a passive crossover, I am using my DEQX and running them fully active, with a very high quality sub picking up the bottom end below 60-70hz

Any sugestions on the sub???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.