LTSPICE models of worst-case BF862 JFETs

To do justice to the author: I shortened the recommendation given in Cordell's book for creating a jfet model.
He recommends to measure Vgs that brings Id to 1% of Idss and to plug this value in the spice model as VTO.
Then go fiddle with beta and lambda to fit your I-V characteristics.
This program could mean that you populate the model with four measurements: One for VTO, one pair for beta and one pair for lambda. The two pairs can share one (Vgs, Vds, Id) point.
The 1m$ question is where to place those measurement point to make the model most relevant for the intended purpose.

FWIW, to determine the pinch voltage, the usual recommended lab procedure is to measure Id vs. Vgs at a very small Vds (so in the jfet linear region), determine the linear region of the Id-Vgs curve (so make sure the subthreshold part is avoided, also avoiding high current effects, which are usually saturating the drain current at high Vgs) then extrapolate this linear region to Id=0.

From post #10
568344d1473183317-ltspice-models-worst-case-bf862-jfets-linear_region_find_rsource.png

fast: -0.672V
slow: -0.389V
does this have to be corrected for the 38mV mismatch?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
EDIT - someone posted this short but concise IEEE paper for free describing both problems ...

http://dlia.ir/Scientific/IEEE/iel1/16/2015/00055768.pdf

Thanks Scott! Sorry for the delay, I only got around to fitting that model to the Worst Case BF862 measurements, this morning. I came up with the following fitted values of Taki's parameters:

Code:
Taki model          BF862SLOW     BF862FAST
parameter           value         value
============================================
IDSS               +8.525E-3     +1.857E-2
VP                 -0.510        -0.822
ALPHA              +1.373        +1.458
LAMBDA             +2.798E-2     +1.425E-2
The goodness-of-fit overlay plots are attached. Same Vgs values as the overlay plots in post #1, I wasn't motivated to hand-insert all of those TextBox widgets into the plots this morning.

It's a darn shame the current release of LTSPICE doesn't include the Taki model or any of its cousins!

_

Attachments

• fast_taki.png
    fast_taki.png
    65.9 KB · Views: 292
  • slow_taki.png
    slow_taki.png
    48.5 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I have chosen a different design approach, one which requires worst case models only. If you don't care for this particular method, please feel free to choose a design approach of your own. If your procedure calls for fitting JFET models yourself, the good news is that the job isn't difficult. Depending on what equipment you already own, it may not be expensive either (see post #13).

Your welcome, most of my IEEE downloads are not for posting since we pay for them. One more thing LTSPICE does support the "B" parameter IIRC which allows a better fit if the device is not exactly square law. Simply take the data in the first region in the linked paper Vp is still the extrapolated intercept but if the slope is not 1/2 you can use the B parameter to fudge it. Someone should go through the exercise though I find the low noise FET's folks really worry about are very close to square law.

Since y'all are close to owning LTSpice, anyway you can beat some heads for more advanced transistor models? ;)

(Thanks, by the way for the paper)

Since y'all are close to owning LTSpice, anyway you can beat some heads for more advanced transistor models? ;)

(Thanks, by the way for the paper)

I've been assured it will be well supported for MOS and Bipolar devices at least. We had to do a level 3 JFET for GaAs designs, don't know if the code plugs right in. From my discussions years ago LT took and built upon the free Berkeley code. Ours was done from scratch decades ago and has a lot of different features.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I tried the Sansen & Das JFET model just now; it was reference [10] of the Wong paper that Scott posted. I couldn't get it to fit very well at all; it was much worse than the Taki (hyperbolic tangent) model fit shown in post #48. Taki model was equation (1) of the Wong paper.

Wong cautions that the parameter "K" in Sansen/Das's model is "crucial to the smoothness in the transition region" and maybe I'm not fitting it properly. But after several dozen restarts from different initial points, I haven't gotten S/D results that are anywhere near as good as Taki. Go figure.

Last edited:
I tried the Sansen & Das JFET model just now; it was reference [10] of the Wong paper that Scott posted. I couldn't get it to fit very well at all; it was much worse than the Taki (hyperbolic tangent) model fit shown in post #48. Taki model was equation (1) of the Wong paper.

Wong cautions that the parameter "K" in Sansen/Das's model is "crucial to the smoothness in the transition region" and maybe I'm not fitting it properly. But after several dozen restarts from different initial points, I haven't gotten S/D results that are anywhere near as good as Taki. Go figure.

This is a tough problem, I admire your energy. I could send you Taki's original paper, his examples are the Toshiba JFET's close to everyone's heart and his curves fit very well.

Attachments

• taki.jpg
    taki.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Thanks, Scott. I've already got Taki's paper in pdf format. It's on those JSSC DVDs that Tim Tredwell of Kodak made for the SSCS around 2005. Gotta say they are sometimes a lot more handy than logging into IEEE Xplore Digital Library. Sansen and Das's paper is on the same set of discs. On the other hand, the Wong paper that you uploaded, was from Trans.E.D. which is not on the discs. Thanks again for that.

edit- fixed typo in acronym. that nobody would have noticed anyway.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Taki revision 2

I had another go with the Taki model, to see what happens when I place more emphasis on tightly fitting the linear region (low VDS). Even though the Taki model is not yet available in LTSPICE. I also found a way to cancel the 38mV offset in the curve tracer's VGS; thus the plot labels are even multiples of 100 millivolts.

The JFET's linear region can be fitted rather well (Figs 1 and 2), but this leads to larger mismatches in the saturation region (Figs 3 and 4). The bumps and wiggles are artifacts of the low cost curve tracer, not of the model equations.

I think that's about all I've got on this one. Never did succeed getting the Sansen and Das equations to fit.

Attachments

• Fig1.png
    Fig1.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 307
  • Fig2.png
    Fig2.png
    45.2 KB · Views: 307
  • Fig3.png
    Fig3.png
    45.1 KB · Views: 303
  • Fig4.png
    Fig4.png