Low distortion, DSP based high gain servo controlled woofer controller.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Within the sub system, talking about feedback at 100 Hz, 36 degrees. That is only 1 millisecond. Is that a lot or a little time for a DSP to crunch the numbers?

To answer an earlier question: easy to blow up drivers when adjusting MFB since speakers are already having to perform outside their capable range (so weird behaviour is present). But with magic-appearing DSP processing, the feedback can be carefully configured to keep out of trouble albeit ONLY for the speaker under study... if you are lucky... and the weather doesn't change... and the driver doesn't age......

Ben

Last edited:
Marvelous spec. Good presentation of the sub and concept. Can't be long before MFB subs wipe out all other kinds - certainly at this forum.

What roles does the DSP element play? Even just a broad-brush account would be interesting.

Do you delay the signal to the driver so as to account for DSP processing time in the feedback loop (unless I am stupidly asking for some suspension of the laws of physics)?

Ben

The servo amplifier is implemented in the digital domain rather than with analog circuits. This makes it easy to customize the servo without redesigning the hardware ;)

The delay can't be eliminated but can be mitigated by using low group delay ADC's and DAC's as well as using small buffer sizes for the serial ports.

cheers
david

How does "latency" relate to "total processing time from accelerometer to finish" in a device like a MiniDSP?

Ben

phase shift = latency * 2 * pi * frequency

most dsp boards use high latency dac's and adc's which is ok for audio streaming and multi channel audio because time delays of a few milliseconds won't be noticeable but is no good for a control system that has to process up to a few hundred Hz ;)

cheers

Hi NEO Dan,

"...10 μs latency."

The time they are a-changing....

Regards,

It's hard to believe that the total latency is 10uS unless they are using single cycle flash converters for the ADC and R-2R ladder dacs and processing the audio at 96KHz with no buffering in the dsp. Perhaps they are using one of the AD Sigma DSP's with onboard DAC's and ADC's which has very low latency of about 40uS but still nowhere near 10uS !!

cheers

I can't follow the mix of terms and treatments.

BTW, "a few milliseconds" represents a few feet of driver misalignment. While lots of systems have that kind of room arrangement, getting the time alignment close raises the joy of percussion quite a bit.

Ben

for a servo to be useful in this application it is wise to keep the latency below 100uS ;)

1 or 2 mS in some DAC's is totally out of the question !!

Nice website. I look forward to your ground plane tests of the systems effectiveness.:)

Thanks. I often check your website for new reviews on drivers ;)

I will probably do the acoustic testing when I have built the Titan-2 and have all of the electronics mounted in the box rather than in pieces.

BTW do you know of any 12 inch drivers with aluminium cones which preferably have an Xmax of at least 18 mm and a power rating of 500 watts or more. I am currently evaluating a car speaker but it only has an Xmax of 14 mm which is just on the margin of what I need.

cheers
david

Check out the Ultimax series of drivers from Dayton Audio, sold in the US through Parts Express (not sure of Aussie distributor). Here is a link to the 12" driver:
Dayton Audio UM12-22 12" Ultimax DVC Subwoofer 2 ohms Per Coil

It doesn't have an aluminum cone, but rather a honeycomb construction that should make it pretty stiff. Xmax is 19mm. This might work very well for you.

Last edited:
Check out the Ultimax series of drivers from Dayton Audio, sold in the US through Parts Express (not sure of Aussie distributor). Here is a link to the 12" driver:
Dayton Audio UM12-22 12" Ultimax DVC Subwoofer 2 ohms Per Coil

It doesn't have an aluminum cone, but rather a honeycomb construction that should make it pretty stiff. Xmax is 19mm. This might work very well for you.

Yes I am aware of those drivers but they don't use metal diaphragms and you'd be surprised at how what appears to be stiff isn't at higher frequencies. I have an infinity car speaker driver with what appears to be a stiff driver made out of a composite fiberglass material. It feels like it is made out of concrete and yet it's first modal resonant frequency is almost half that of the aluminium coned driver !!

cheers

Hi Y'all,

How about the TC Sounds Epic 12":

TC Sounds Epic 12" DVC Subwoofer

Regards,

Yes I am aware of those and may have to get one into evaluate. Just a bit concerned about the stories I have heard how the diaphragms on some of the tcsounds woofers are easy to dent which means that the thickness of the aluminium maybe a bit light on.

cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.