Low-distortion Audio-range Oscillator

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Fortunately the last few weeks were a little less busy than usual so I could spend one or the other day for working on my low distortion oscillator. The mechanical design is almost done, a preview on the frontpanel: ultra_low_distortion_oscillator_frontpanel.pdf.

Samuel

Hi Samual,

Which FFT windowing is the most accurate for low level harmonic measurements? I have used the Flat Top and find the Hann gives about 9dB lower measured data numbers.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
It isnt good enough for 24 bit level.... 16 bit maybe. Look up -- Electronic Design article..... Choose Right FFT Window Function When Evaluating precision ADC's.

-RM

One of the reasons I went with Mdac tuning is so the user can get as close as possible to a frequency to do coherent sampling and thus not need a window.
Just about every sar adc data sheet is done at a frequency that allows coherent sampling. No windows are used.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
One of the reasons I went with Mdac tuning is so the user can get as close as possible to a frequency to do coherent sampling and thus not need a window.
Just about every sar adc data sheet is done at a frequency that allows coherent sampling. No windows are used.

yes. So that is why the such fine freq tuning ability. [also useful with a fixed freq notch filter]
And using the A-P allows for coherant sampling (probably phase locked). So I can use Flat Top? In any case, not a Hann.
But if you use a sound card and external osc.... you may need windowing or have windowing which should not be used.

See here.... View attachment FFT WINDOWs.pdf

So. If others do tests they may need a window or not be aware of the requirments needed to avoid it.
But if used a very particular window for these levels to be accurate. One should state if they are using a window and which one.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
yes. So that is why the such fine freq tuning ability. [also useful with a fixed freq notch filter]
And using the A-P allows for coherant sampling (probably phase locked). So I can use Flat Top? In any case, not a Hann.
But if you use a sound card and external osc.... you may need windowing or have windowing which should not be used.

See here.... View attachment 430104

So. If others do tests they may need a window or not be aware of the requirments needed to avoid it.
But if used a very particular window for these levels to be accurate. One should state if they are using a window and which one.

THx-RNMarsh

What is sown here is a not an amplitude error. A window does affect how deep into the noise a measurement can go. There is other documentation that compares the amplitude errors between windows. QA did this.

Lets back up. When I use Hann, I get amplitude error or when I use Flat Top I get a different amplitude. Which is correct one to use with the A-P?

THx-RNMarsh

You choose between noise power and amplitude error. As for the AP. Samuel or others with APs can answer this question better. But it shouldn't make any difference which analyzer is used. FFT is FFT with fixed mathematical relations.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Thank you, all. The Hann gives excellent resolving power for the first -50dB down. The Flat Top is better from -50dB and lower.

Here is the A-P results of using its own internal osc/gen with the Flat Top and using the Hann at < -140dB levels:

As you can see, there is a 4-6dB difference. [as reported, I have seen with other higher levels of thd/spectrum, differences of 9dB]:

FFT Flat Top.jpg Flat Top

FFT Hann.jpg Hann

In all cases, the Hann always gives the more optimistic number.

I tend to think the higher amplitude number is more accurate. But, how does the noise floor difference relate to this difference in measured levels? I notice it is the same level change as the harmonic amplitude differences... cant be a coincidence.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
It depends on the resolution used. How much noise power is in the bin, the width of the bin
and measurement bandwidth. At different RBW you'll get different results.

Nothing changed between the 2 tests.... same BW and same rbw etc.

OK for now... just note the difference of an average of 5-6dB in levels. And, if we dont standardize on one or the other window filter for these tests. That is -- if I measure -146 and it is -151dB with a Hann FFT window filter... it is really the same DUT. The noise change is due to filter BW and shape.

I'll look into Rife also.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Nothing changed between the 2 tests.... same BW and same rbw etc.

OK for now... just note the difference of an average of 5-6dB in levels. And, if we dont standardize on one or the other window filter for these tests. That is -- if I measure -146 and it is -151dB with a Hann FFT window filter... it is really the same DUT. The noise change is due to filter BW and shape.

I'll look into Rife also.

THx-RNMarsh

You shouldn't be getting that much of a difference. I certainly don't just using a active TT, Emu0204 and ARTA. Something else is going on. You need to here from someone more familiar with the AP. What I see between flattop and hann is a higher noise floor with flattop. Very little difference in harmonic level.