Low-distortion Audio-range Oscillator

Dave,

I just backed up and read the latest on your OSC.

That looks great from the FFT, CONGRATS!

I've read enough to know that you worked your *** off
on that. I know that at points you were frustrated, pissed,
discouraged, tired, fatigued, brain dead, anything else that
I missed...you walked away, then came back and worked your
way through the challenges. Well done.

It is way over my head, but I can appreciate what you accomplished.

It makes me kinda feel funny asking for info about a pot, LOL.
It is what it is.

I'll just go with the Bournes cermet and be done with it.
I'll pick up a few LT1468s for the OSC and some w/o compensation.
If whatever for the Q2 by the OSC, I'll just leave it alone then, no sense
buying something worse to put in there.

Will do for the P/S. Yeah, I have some 4700 electro's and various others too. I'll put in there what ever fits.

It will also save me a lot of work not replacing all the Tants.

Will have to give all the pots and switches a good careful cleaning.

Dick,
What do you think for that quad JFET opamp?

As an aside, we forget here in Texas what you northerners have to go through.
How short your summers are and how you want to take advantage of it.
Get out doors and do things. Unlike what Dave is going through.

Dave, this time of year here in Texas it is hotter than a ships bell.
We want to stay inside to survive the heat and crank up the A/C.

And if you don't have it you are miserable. Richard knows too, he burned up over in Thailand. While he was overseas it hit 115 in California, he dodged the bullet.

It won't do you any good Dave to know it takes 6 to 10 weeks for your body
to acclimate to high temps. W/o A/Cs you might be able to make a swamp
cooler too good effect. Maybe a fan or two blowing over wet towels over
a milk or egg crate might work. Or Blowing over a large pan of water.

Swamp coolers work best with low humidity.

It might give you some needed relief. And just think, you can build
something that will make you physically more comfortable.

Cheers,

Thanks SyncTronX,

It's starting to cool off a bit and later this week it should be back down to 22 deg C. This is comfortable. Weather is unpredictable up here. It has been known to snow in August.
This morning it was snowing potash. Still is.

A lot of work but mostly fun and yes there were moments I was ready to pack it in.
Never accept defeat.

Cheers,

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
got Ice and a Fan?

Here is what the natives (American Indians) do --- they get a big cube/block of ice and put a fan behind it.... instant cool air.

I was told when I was in Turkey that in the summer the Mediterranean rim countries reach 130 degrees F. You loose about 1 quart of water per hour. I got dehydrated fast.

But in Bangkok, it will be raining while the temp is in the high 90's... a steam bath. Last month Lisa and I were on Phuket island and it started to rain.... caught without an umbrella.... but we decided to just walk in the rain... because it was warm and as soon as it stopped we would get dried out in 15 minutes.

There are some truely miserable places to live. Like the Arab countries... for heat and bleakness. But just across the border in western Canada isnt one of them. It's beautiful there. Still too cold for me in the winter, though. Lots of Canadian (snow birds) head south in winter to the warm Mexico beaches.

-Richard Marsh

Last edited:
@SyncTronX -- RE quad amps -- I can't even remember now what I have, but I think there are different ones waiting to go in the sockets I have yet to put in. My hesitation mainly has been just how inconvenient the 339 is to work on. I know I've got some LM part, and a Moto device, and a few others. We'll see how far I get when it starts to turn cold.

If you stick a spectrum analyzer on the 339 output, you'll see, for example, that when you switch in any of the filters, even though the meter reading goes down, the broadband npoise at the output goes way up -- really crummy amp for the filters, and the circuit topology doesn't help either -- Sallen-Key filters and the like are not optimized for low noise or low distortion.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Auto Tune notch filter ?

Some ideas regarding variable freq notch filters and auto tune notch filter.... just the tip of the ice-berg though...

View attachment 25404-notch_filter_autotunes_for_audio_applications_pdf.pdf

64620-fig7.jpg
US06628163-20030930-D00000.png
2 pot filter.png

For use with a variable freq oscillator/generator and a sound card/QA400 to make a complete distortion test set for any audio frequency.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Some ideas regarding variable freq notch filters and auto tune notch filter.... just the tip of the ice-berg though...

View attachment 428727

View attachment 428728
View attachment 428730
View attachment 428729

For use with a variable freq oscillator/generator and a sound card/QA400 to make a complete distortion test set for any audio frequency.

THx-RNMarsh

The biggest thing in auto tuning is how to measure what needs to be measured to do the tuning. We already know what needs to be tuned.

For a TT they have to be balanced as well as frequency tuned. The frequency is the easy part. The measurement must not be intrusive. What are the tuned phases at the two T's?
How do the phase very with balance?

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
The biggest thing in auto tuning is how to measure what needs to be measured to do the tuning. We already know what needs to be tuned.

For a TT they have to be balanced as well as frequency tuned. The frequency is the easy part. The measurement must not be intrusive. What are the tuned phases at the two T's?
How do the phase very with balance?

Maybe See this and the original --

http://www.williamsonic.com/statevariable/article.html or Google williamsonic.com

he uses this approach:

AutoTune_revA.gif

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited: