• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Low cost ES9018 DAC board GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Update: UFL pads added to both I2S and spdif inputs

Sent from my Q700i using Tapatalk

Thanks for taking advice from a beginner. If you move the complete DAC and output section a bit to the right and the power supply section (180 degrees turned to the right) to the upper left corner you could add pads for a PCB mount transformer in the lower left corner. It would make it a complete solution. There is board space enough. It will save the DIYer from excess wiring.

The output section could be shrinked down too. Since the board is mostly SMD the choice for SMD opamps would be a better one. When SMD opamps are used now the DIL tracks could deteriorate matters.

BTW decoupling capacitors should be much closer to the DAC chip. Please check ESS information.

Last edited:
In default settings mode only spdif 1, i2s, DSD works. Switching happens with auto signal detection. Spdif 2 and 3 does not work. Spdif 1, 2, 3 can be switched by programming the registers. This DAC has a new filter setting called minimum phase filter which is not available in ES9018S. I really got amazed with speed with which it locks on to the signal and the audio clarity. If everyone on this GB is interested I can change the lm317 to TPS7A4700 based symmetrical supply but tps is in difficult to solder qfn package just like ES9018K2M but will reduce some board space. I want to know how many are there on this GB. I am thinking of closing this GB asap.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Thanks for replying. Closing the GB can only be done when the final design is ready and tested thoroughly both by measurement and listening (and comparing with other known DACs) as listening experience is what counts, doesn't it ? The TPS7A4700 really is a good idea, as you know LM317/337 have no place in a serious DAC.

Before anyone else asks: could you add U.FL footprints for an external clock input and output ? Asynchronous USB would be the icing on the cake for those that use computers for playing music.

Last edited:
Are you having a GB I mean you are kind of promoting ES9023 second edition and third, unless you have made and listened to all you can say something about this and better still you can stop giving advice to others. What you can do is you can make one and you can claim to be the best.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I am not promoting any version of my stuff in this GB thread (if so please show me) as they're thoroughly tested and built devices and also the GBs are long finished. It was a successful GB, in fact it was one of the most successful. There is nothing to promote anymore (if there would even be the need for it, it is an excellent device according many users).

Since this is a GB I want to join (who would have thought that ?) but only if the design is ready and tested. I thought to help you improve matters like the poorly executed way I2S is done and it saves me the trouble of prototyping this one. My first post in this thread was one with contructive criticism but you choose to react in a negative way and you still do. It means you either have fear or you are defending yourself or your product which is not necessary when somebody asks a question or hints you a possible improvement. Don't understand me wrong: we signed the NDA too but the complexity of added electronics, the necessity of an opamp outputstage + symmetrical supplies and the fact that it is designed for mobile phones made me dismiss it (prematurely perhaps/probably/for certain). It made me doubt if it really is that much better than its cheaper brother. We will hear it from the first builders I guess. BTW you are the one claiming things.

Last edited:
I am not promoting any version of my stuff in this GB thread (if so please show me) as they're thoroughly tested and built devices and also the GBs are long finished. It was a successful GB, in fact it was one of the most successful. There is nothing to promote anymore (if there would even be the need for it, it is an excellent device according many users).

Since this is a GB I want to join (who would have thought that ?) but only if the design is ready and tested. I thought to help you improve matters like the poorly executed way I2S is done and it saves me the trouble of prototyping this one. My first post in this thread was one with contructive criticism but you choose to react in a negative way and you still do. It means you either have fear or you are defending yourself or your product which is not necessary when somebody asks a question or hints you a possible improvement. Don't understand me wrong: we signed the NDA too but the complexity of added electronics, the necessity of an opamp outputstage + symmetrical supplies and the fact that it is designed for mobile phones made me dismiss it (prematurely perhaps/probably/for certain). It made me doubt if it really is that much better than its cheaper brother. We will hear it from the first builders I guess. BTW you are the one claiming things.

I suggest you get one ES9018K2M evaluation board before commenting anything on this chip, someone is selling that, it sells around $350 + shipping.

I do think that it really needs a better power reg, at least ADP150/151. This is the first place that I will mod.
But the reg that can really draw major interest nowaday is ADM7150/7151.

I do not want to deviate from the low cost design but in case if you want to have ADM7150 I have power supply board based on ADM7150 primarily for my ES9018 dualmono dac which can be added to this one. I will also put the TPS7A47 based symmetrical psu along with the LM317 based on the ease of use and cost they can populate it or not.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I suggest you get one ES9018K2M evaluation board before commenting anything on this chip, someone is selling that, it sells around $350 + shipping.

Hi it seems even the simplest post is misunderstood or taken out of context. Since when does price say a thing ? You suggest me to buy something and you take the liberty to judge me and my design without knowing it too. You tell me "ES9023 is for beginners" while you also made a non-successful attempt selling a ES9023 design. Who is the beginner here ?

Since we are not able to communicate I am out of this thread and I won't join the GB. A seller should have at least some respect for the customers. A negative attitude for no reason is not very inviting. It makes me think to make a better and more compact version, designed on sound quality and not on superfluous features and functions. The current design is not ready yet as I see it.

My intention was to join this GB and give some suggestions to improve it as it is not final yet. You judge me only by my name. If you would see me as a person that joins your GB it would have made life simpler.

Last edited:
Some modifications:
1) syklab - 2 PCB, 2 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
2) quan - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
3) richard_pc - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (un-soldered)
4) tubo - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
5) freeman - 2 PCB, 2 ES9018K2M (un-soldered)
6) mvsavage - 2 PCB, 2 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
7) danzup - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (un-soldered)
8) tvicol - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (un-soldered)
9) audiomaniac4u - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
10) atupi - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M+oscillator (pre-soldered)
11) rredline - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
12) DaveK - 1 or 2 kits
13)OverkillAudio - 4pcb, 4 ES9018
14)cristi289 - 2PCB, 2ES9018K2M+oscillator (pre-soldered)
15)Turbon - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
16)eledanca - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
17)Ryssen - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M+oscillator (pre-soldered)

1) syklab - 2 PCB, 2 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
2) quan - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
3) richard_pc - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (un-soldered)
4) tubo - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
5) freeman - 2 PCB, 2 ES9018K2M (un-soldered)
6) mvsavage - 2 PCB, 2 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
7) danzup - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (un-soldered)
8) tvicol - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (un-soldered)
9) audiomaniac4u - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
10) atupi - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M+oscillator (pre-soldered)
11) rredline - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
12) DaveK - 1 or 2 kits
13)OverkillAudio - 4pcb, 4 ES9018
14)cristi289 - 2PCB, 2ES9018K2M+oscillator (pre-soldered)
15)Turbon - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
16)eledanca - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
17)Ryssen - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M+oscillator (pre-soldered)
18)vuki - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.