• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Lovoltech LU1014D power JFET

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
wrenchone said:
The melting point is only 118C, high enough so that the device will stay soldered with proper heatsink design, but low enough to stay comfortably below both the max operating and storage temperature of 150C.

Not to derail this Group Buy thread, but the datasheet states the IPAK package (which is what these JFETs are) can withstand 260 degrees C (500 degrees F) at the leads for 10 seconds. The operating and storage temps are always lower.

BWRX said:
the datasheet states the IPAK package (which is what these JFETs are) can withstand 260 degrees C (500 degrees F) at the leads for 10 seconds.

Yes which is fine if you are soldering them to a pad on a pcb as it has little thermal mass and cools quickly after you have the joint formed but if you are soldering to a heat spreader with relatively way more thermal mass, it takes much longer for the temperature at the device to cool down sufficiently. Indium alloy solder sounds like it could just be the answer we are looking for.

Aus J fet ish update

Ways around the problems have been found with the help of a consortium of volunteers secretly known as the J fet ish team :eek: (Sorry guys but I found it funny & started laughing to myself, getting funny looks from the kids. I will not mention whom they are incase they would rather stay in the shadows) :angel: You know who you are and its up to you to post if you wish to make your efforts public.
The very good side to all the pain and extra involvement from the super J fet ish team is that the cost's will be lower per person basically very very close to Grey's cost + Postage (now from the USA to your door) and paypal's fees.
No Grey has not gone soft so don't try it on, Other well known and respected members have offered assistance.
I will be asking you all for payments within the next 24 hours so if you are reading this more than week from post date and have not heard from me worry! :devilr:

When I send you the email for the costs if you wish to help support this site, whatever you pay over will be sent on as a donation, or if you are paying by paypal while you are logged on why not send some thanks direct.

As long as I don't have to handle all the overseas stuff, I'm a happy boy. The very thought of trying to deal with "locked-box lady" is enough to give me nightmares.
Onto an entirely different train of thought: I realized today that only two of the last two dozen orders or so have been for unmatched parts...and both of those were for small quantities. In the beginning orders were running neck and neck between matched and unmatched, but the balance has steadily shifted towards matched. In fact, I'm getting repeat orders from people who bought unmatched parts the first time around, but this time they're ordering matched. (I told you these things weren't as tidy as the IRF MOSFETs...they're really, really random coming out of the tube.)
All this is a round-about way of saying that I am starting to think about matching all the rest of the parts that I have in stock.
If you've been thinking about getting unmatched parts, you might want to hurry up a bit. It's not "last call" yet, but given the way orders have been running, I'm going to have to start making plans as to how to handle the matched orders from here on in.

Grey

Here is an update, with important information for the EU GB part. I have settled for the posting options. I will use the official post service here in Denmark. The other options I looked into was just too expenscive! So here is the postage prices:
Max 100 grams. Within the Eu is 8,5 Euro
Most of you will be in this category.
Max 100 Grams. Outside the Eu is 9,5 Euro.
All of you outside the EU is in this category. Since none of you ordered "a lot" of devices.
Max 250 grams. Within the EU is 9,5 EU.
At this point I dont think any of you will bump into that category.
To those of you ordering from Denmark, I will make special agreements with all of you. Our country is small and a handover is possible for most of us:)
The prices reflect the fact that I will send out all the parts as "registered mail". This is my first GB so I hope you will all understand my point in doing it that way.
Well, the check is on its way to Grey. Thanks to good friends in the US. Namely Brian Donegan who volunteered to help make the transaction go quick and smooth:) Thanks a lot Brian:)
As soon as I have the devices, I will send out Emails to everyone of you, who ordered so far! I am happy to say that I will be able to fill everyones orders so far;) But at this point, I can not take more orders! Please understand what I say!! I am really a nice guy, and I have a lot of trouble, turning someone down. Hope you all understand. If the rest of this GB goes as smoothly as the first part did, I am in for a second round for sure. So dont worry too much, if you didnt make it:) I want to add as a kind of BTW I am really happy to be able to help the DIY friends out there in the far East! You guys from Taiwan, HK and so on know who you are
:)
Thats all for now
Steen:cool:

This JFET thing has exposed a number of banking practices that annoy me to no end. If you've kept up with the saga to date, you realize that my bank wants $16.75 to clear a personal check from Canada. It rises rapidly after that, with some exotic locales (like Europe...) warranting a $75 surcharge! Similarly, there's a fellow Down Under who managed to find a US buddy I could ship to, but ran into a $20 (presumed AUS$) surcharge in getting his money to me, thereby doubling his cost. Then there's the unconscionable amount of time that the banking system sits on an 'instant' money transfer, thus earning interest on your money. (...And, of course, the fees PayPal imposes, but I'll let someone who actually deals with PayPal rant about that...)
Etc.
For today's editorial, I thought that I'd point out a pecularity in the clearing of checks. It goes like this: Person A sends me a personal check. Person A is in the US, so there's no problem depositing the check and it goes into the bank without a problem. Time passes. I have stated that policy is to wait until the check clears. Now here's the thing that bothers me...I get an e-mail from Person A saying that his check has cleared his bank and he wants to know where his parts are, have they shipped, if so when, and are they late, and so forth and so on. In reality, they have not shipped yet. Why? Because my bank cannot tell me definitively whether Person A's check has cleared. The best they can manage is a rather lame (to me, but no one asked me...) "give it ten business days." This means that I'm still waiting on my end for ten days to pass, whereas Person A sees that his check has cleared.
My question is this: Why can banks not communicate to one another that a payment is known to be good?
I mean, really, I live in the US, a nation that relentlessly pounds its chest about how it is the technological leader of the world. Can anyone explain to me in a bazillion words or less why such a simple and obvious piece of information cannot be transmitted back to the depositing person/bank?
Oh, Grey, you silly fellow...sure they could, but it would cost more money, don't you know.
Harrumph! I suggest that they use some of their ill-gotten gains (see above) to pay for it.
There is a corollary, however...please don't pound me with e-mail about how your check has cleared. I'm sure it has, but I'm waiting for ten business days like a good little boy.
Perhaps I should quit my job and go into banking and get 'my money for nothing' as per the old Dire Straights song.
Okay, I've got that off my chest. I feel better now.

Grey

Before all is said and done, I'll be carted off to the insane asylum in chains...babbling to myself, drool running down my chin, hair in wild disarray. It won't be pretty.
I suppose that it goes without saying that none of the things I prepared for have gone wrong--at least not yet. (Fingers crossed.) It's the shipping and banking stuff that have driven me to distraction...the things that are supposed to be easy because there are formal institutions full of "professionals" who can make it all happen, gracefully and efficiently. It never once crossed my mind that they might become the source of frustration in this.
Live and learn.

Grey

PayPal isn't a monetary solution--it's a religion.
I'm a non-believer.
I have zero use for a system that takes your money and holds it, but doesn't pay a decent rate of returns (i.e. interest, dividends, capital appreciation, etc.). Once in the PayPal system, the money doesn't come out easily and all my bills are out here in the real world. If I can't pay for gasoline for my car, groceries to put on the table, or electronic parts that way, it's not a realistic option for me.
Those who do more ebay stuff than I do may find it more to their liking. That's their choice. I looked into it and didn't like what I saw.
As far as to getting money here from Canada, the most common solution is a Canadian Postal Money Order drawn in US$. Some people have managed to find other money orders (also drawn in US$) and sometimes even checks drawn on US banks, although that's probably not feasible for most Canadians.
I am very, very reluctant to tell people to send cash via the mail, but I've had about a dozen people do so and so far all payments have gotten here successfully. If you go that route, make sure the money is wrapped well in other paper so that if someone holds the envelope up to the light it's not obvious that it's money. Again, I do not recommend this, but it can be done. Sending it registered, so that I have to sign for it, adds another layer of protection.

Grey

Hi Grey,
Yes, is a fee attached to everything. Soon you have to pay for fresh air and clean water.
Or this already happened? Paypal is a convenient instant service. It cost to the
receiver but you could recalculate the prices for Paypal users, it would be still worth
for many buyers. I didn't had any problems to transfer the money from Paypal to my
bank account, they say it takes 5 days, but I think it is a bit faster than that.
Peace, Miklos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.