• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Lovoltech LU1014D power JFET

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AudioFreak said:
Just wondering if there is any news on how the Australian leg of this GB is going?

I could be wrong (as I have once in the past) but I recall a cutoff date of the 12th of feb (my birthday).

Grey I have one request for an "untouched" tube, how many are in a tube and can you guarantee that the factory have not touched the devices (sorry bad joke the factory bit):smash:

Mark,
You'll need to specify whether touched by human hands or not. These things are made by elves in the Black Forest, you know. The funny thing about elves is that they have no fingerprints, so I guess you'll have to resort to DNA testing to determine how badly the JFETs have been molested and by whom.
Okay...I get punchy when I'm short on sleep...time to pull myself together. Get serious, Grey, get serious.
75 devices per tube. Yes, I still have plenty of unopened tubes on hand. All bets are off if you're going to check for elf DNA, though.
Regarding cutoff dates, check post #8 in this thread, but whatever you want to do is fine by me.
If you've only been wrong once, you're waaaaay ahead of me. I make a point of being wrong about 50 times a day. Minimum. Come to think of it, I'm already over budget for today.
Vix,
I give credit to the baby, too. She's a pretty good kid. About as well behaved as you could ask of any young 'un on the eve of her thrid birthday. Which is to say she's a whirling dervish with extra tornado and a side order of mayhem thrown in for good measure.

Grey

Vix said:
Grey,

Thanks a lot for your effort. I think it is importatnt that people realize that if it were not you who took a risk to byu all those Jfets and then go through the trouble of receiving checks, sending Jfets...most us us would wait much longer till (if ever) we got Jfets on hand.....

Personally, I am happy to know that out there are people who are willing to share their passion for electronics and music, and who are willing to go through difficulties, just to make others happier.

Nelson published the circuit, you are supplying the parts. Then, the least we can do is learn, build amps and share our joy here.

I wish there was a way we could help more...

Once again, thank you very much. At the end, I truly hope that all this will be worth the trouble....

Best Regards to you and your wife

Vix

Vix,
Thanks for posting your thoughts. I agree with you 100%, and you said it better than I could.

:D

Bruce

For those who are prone to worrying about such things, I will likely commence a new round of device matching next week. BUT--this does not mean that I'm out of tubes of unmatched devices.
You want matched devices?
I got 'em.
You want unmatched devices?
I got 'em.
Still got plenty of everything.
Did I mention that the output stage I've got going can be biased down to class AB?
Got smaller heatsinks going begging for a project?
Might be time to drag 'em out.

Grey

P.S.: My wife is charmed that you guys are saying nice things about her. The baby doesn't know or care...she's asleep...or should be.

US Postal Services are far too optimistic in their anticipated delivery times for shipments sent to European addresses.
My experience has been (and I have received literally hundreds of shipments from USA in the past few years) the following:
1) USPS Express Mail - roughly 7 days.
2) USPS Air Letter Post or Air Parcel Post - anything between 7 to 30 days, a typical time being about 2 to 3 weeks. If a shipment does not arrive in 4 weeks time, there is a fair chance someone on the way has missed the sign AIRMAIL, and shipment travels much slower via SURFACE post
3) USPS Surface, Letter and Parcel - anything between 6 to 14 weeks!

I live in Slovenia, meaning someone in UK or Germany might receive a shipment a couple of days earlier than I do (due to direct intercontinental flights...). Also, shipments form New York and Chicago area travel usually significantly faster than from the rest of USA. I am very very sure the longer time that USPS mail from USA takes to an European address is mostly due to someone (USPS operations) not putting shipments in time on an airplane flying to Europe and not to delays within European delivery system.

So, nobody should get too excited about Grey's shipment not arriving yet to Dave...

Andrej

A word about the shipment to Dave:
My first attempt to estimate postage began at the United States Postal Service website. That yielded one amount. However, there were some ambiguities so I called the number for the post office over in Columbia. That number is no longer in service and forwards to a national call bank. That call indicated another postage amount--not that far off the first estimate, but different, nonetheless.
It was when I actually went to the post office to mail the JFETs that the fun really began.
Dave and I had agreed that the package should be sent "registered," meaning that he would sign for it on his end. Seems simple enough. Not to the woman at the post office. She went off on some tangent about the "locked box." She refused to talk about "registered"--it was "locked box" or nothing. And to go into the "locked box" the JFETs had to be sealed with paper tape, not the plastic tape I had. Needless to say, they didn't sell this paper tape at the post office. I asked where I might find some. She didn't know. I asked what characteristics the tape had so that I could try to track the stuff down on my own. She was unable to describe the tape. My wife was with me--she and I were looking at each other trying to decide whether this woman was on medication...or perhaps whether she ought to be for her own good. I gave up trying to reason with the confounded woman and sent the thing with the usual plastic shipping tape instead of the mystical paper tape from the seventh dimension.
To put a cork in the whole matter, the postage I was actually charged was different from either of the two figures I had been given earlier.
For the record, Dave is displeased.
Hell...I'm displeased. The whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth. Anyone in the US will be familiar with the expression 'going postal,' meaning to irrationally attack other people. After dealing with that woman, I will have at least some distant understanding if someone at the main post office loses their cool and does something crazy.
Mark Stones and I are in the process of deciding how to get JFETs from here to there. I have warned him about this situation, but will do whatever he feels comfortable with.
But I swear on a stack of JFETs that if I have enter that post office again, I'm going to do some medications before I cross the threshold so that I'm not the one going postal by the time all is said and done.
Ugh!

Grey

My thoughts are use USPS Global express as this is quick, simple and efficient. I have used it before it takes around 7 working days. I have received in less than that. Other than that Registered post is the way. Other non trackable and recordable services are dodgy in my eyes.
Normal or standard mail in the US and UK is treated as economy and if it gets damaged or lost there is no comeback. Because it is not tracked it is also more likely to stolen by postal workers . We have all seen the tv documentaries and read the news reports about these people. The insurance you pay for is very hard to get hold of too on these services.
I will wait for the parcel to materialise.

As Grey likes to say " Patience "

I'm still trying to find time to build one that uses tube filaments instead of light bulbs. For anyone who wants to leapfrog me on this, here are some raw numbers:
6L6--0.9A
6CA7 (aka EL34)--1.5A
6550--1.6A
All three tubes are 6.3V at that current. Two tubes in series at rated current would give you 12.6V. What's the lightbulb run at? 11V? Use two tubes in series and adjust the rail slightly to put half the voltage across the MOSFET and the other half across the tube(s).
The 6AS7/6080 is a beast...the filament is rated at 2.5A. Probably overkill for this application unless you start parallelling.
Most smaller tubes take something like .5A, plus or minus a tenth or two. You could use up a lot of 12AX7s and 6SN7s that way.
There are, of course, a million tubes out there. You could even use weird, bizarre things that would never do for audio--diodes and such. Just choose something that looks cool. Remember that the tubes don't even have to be functional. All that matters is that the filament is intact.
I've got quite a few 6550s lying about. They keep whispering to me. I ignore the whispers, reminding myself that I need to get the current LU1014D circuit off the bench before I can make room for another.

Grey

Hello Europe

I am now accepting preorders as I am expecting delivery soon. Please email me with your requested amount and I will send you payment details. Here is a reminder of cost :

1 = £1.58
20=£1.39
100=£1.29
200=£1.24

Please put:

lovoltech jfet

as the subject.

regards
dave

USPS - "we care"

Well, I was starting to wonder what had happened to my JFET order. It arrived today in a special envelope - see attachment.
I think it's just me. You should see what happens to the contents of my luggage.
Despite Grey's envelope being in very sad shape, the parts seem to be intact. Thanks Grey, looking forward to doing something with these.

Attachments

• usps.jpg
    usps.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 726
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.