• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Lovoltech LU1014D power JFET

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Europe Listen up

Hello there

I have sent Grey some money today for the chips. It will take a week or so for the bank transfer and then I presume 7-10+ days for processing by Grey and then the postage to the UK. That is my rough eta. I will then Work permitting be reasonably proactive distrebuting these blessed things
Iwill keep you all informed.
regards
dave

This money thing is bringing out the curmudgeon in me. Why on Earth should Dave have to wait a week for his money to move around? Snail mail moves faster than that. Considering that this is a 'wire' transfer, you would think that the zeros and ones could move a little more quickly than that. Or did I miss the press release wherein it was announced that England has been discovered to be a moon of Pluto, hence the sheer distance between our two nations renders even light speed inadequate to the task.
The nasty little voice in my head says that someone gets the use of Dave's money for that week. It's only a few hundred dollars, you say? Multiply that by the number of transactions between England, the US, France, Germany, etc. and assume the rate that banks use to loan each other money overnight here in the US. I'm not sure of the current figure, but it's usually a point or so less than the so-called prime lending rate, which would put it at what, about 3%, more or less? Now think in terms of millions of dollars worth of float cash that is yours to play with, gratis, for a week at a time and remember the fact that this isn't an isolated transaction. This goes on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, all year long.
As they say, a million here, a million there...pretty soon you're talking about real money.
I think I'll give up computers and audio and go into banking.

Grey

Why on Earth should Dave have to wait a week for his money to move around?
Thats called "banking-days" (dont know the excact word in english). The bank play around with the money for those 8 days and do keep the money they make that way. Normal procedure, but unfair for the customers, ofcourse. The banks make loads of money that way;)

Steen:)

Pierre,
Splendid! As you know, the Canadian portion of the buy has been a worry to me. I'm glad to know that things are working properly.
Now...get busy, fella! We've got circuits to build here, you know.
(Grey, this means get your worthless rump down into the Dungeon and start working...)
Incidentally, I've already got three useable output designs. I just need to decide what to do about the front end. As it stands now, the amp is modular. The front end can be swapped in and out. Just because it was the easiest thing to do at the moment, I threw together an Aleph-style IRF610 differential. Does anyone want a fancier front end, or are there a bunch of unused Aleph preamps out there looking for a second lease on life?

Grey

Pressed for time...brief note:
I am going to be delving into the goody bag with the intent to match more devices. I'm trying to judge how many. Anyone who has the intention to order matched devices, please post here or e-mail so I can guesstimate how many to match in this go-round.

Grey

Some people have gotten their parts. Some have not. Some of those who have not have written wondering if the United States Postal Service has suddenly decided to take up amplifier manufacture, using their JFETs as stock. Possible, but not probable. As far as I know as of this writing, no one's parts have gone astray.
Bear in mind a couple of things. One is that--as I said several times in various threads--I am waiting until my bank is satisfied that the checks have cleared. They say to allow ten business days. Now, for some reason, I thought it used to be three, but perhaps I'm just imagining that. Ten is what they're saying now.
Another factor is that there's only one of me and I don't have a lot of time. I've seen posts (and received e-mail) from various people that tend towards the,'Yeah, right, Bub, I'm busy too,' sort of tone. Unless someone follows me around for a day, it will be difficult to demonstrate that I have less time than the average person. I care for a toddler during the day, and if you don't think that's a full-time job, ask any mom...then run. I take no responsibility if she beats you to death. I also have a full-time "real" job. I also try to write, which constitutes another job if you make more than a trivial effort. And, of course, I try to do electronics once in a while. Some people seem to think this is all a big joke. I assure you, it's not. I've only ever known two people with days as tightly packed as mine. One of them is an insomniac like me and the other one is dead...a status I hope not to achieve any time soon.
As a practical matter, my time constraints mean that I'm getting to the JFET mailings on the weekends. I got out a fair number of parts last weekend and hope to get out another batch this coming weekend. My wife has graciously consented to help when she can. Those of you who received envelopes with addresses in feminine handwriting can thank my wife for helping me get things ready before the mail fella arrived.
Rest assured, parts are moving. A goodly number of people have already received theirs. If you haven't gotten yours yet, please try to be patient--those in Washington have concluded that cloning is Evil which means I can't spawn a twin to take up some of the workload.
Trust me, I'm as interested in getting work done with these parts as any of you. Unfortunately, I can either supply parts or work on the amp. I am this close (I'm holding up fingers barely spread--can't see?--lean closer to your screen) to being satisfied with the circuit. A single, undisturbed day should do it. When that will happen is anybody's guess.
I've received a few notes from the guys who have received parts. Some are building Zens. Some are already trying out other ideas. At the rate things are going, you guys are going to get amps running before I do.
Enjoy them. I'm envious.

Grey

Grey,

Thanks a lot for your effort. I think it is importatnt that people realize that if it were not you who took a risk to byu all those Jfets and then go through the trouble of receiving checks, sending Jfets...most us us would wait much longer till (if ever) we got Jfets on hand.....

Personally, I am happy to know that out there are people who are willing to share their passion for electronics and music, and who are willing to go through difficulties, just to make others happier.

Nelson published the circuit, you are supplying the parts. Then, the least we can do is learn, build amps and share our joy here.

I wish there was a way we could help more...

Once again, thank you very much. At the end, I truly hope that all this will be worth the trouble....

Best Regards to you and your wife

Vix

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.