LM338 regulated snubberized PSU for audio amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jpg said:
@ carlosfm

When you updated your schematic back in August, you changed this:

330nF from V+ to V- pins
0.47R/1W + 47nF snubbers just before these caps

to this:

3.3µF from V+ to V- pins
0.1R/1W + 3.3nF snubbers just before these caps

Where do I place the 3.3µF from V+ to V- pins? Which pins?

If the 330nF cap has been altered to a new value (3.3uF) then it could be hard to fit it if you etched my eaglefiles.
The 330nF is the one between the big el.cap and heatsink.

http://www.ettnet.se/~tobias/diy/lm3886/psu_reg1.jpg

/Tobias

Carlos,

I guess my terminology may be wrong.
What I am referring to are the 10,000 uf caps and 4700 uf caps in the snubber circuit..
On my standard "audiosector" lm4780 board, I have nichicon gold tune 4700 uf instead of the 1500 uf regular caps. They made a significant improvement.

Will the "grade" of cap have the same effect here or will a standard Nichicon with the right value provide the same sound??

The same question for the 100nf and 1.5nf caps. Any cap, or should I be selective?

Normally, I would just op for better grade, but the price defference is huge! At least to my pocket book!

Thanks,
Dominick

You don't need to break the bank with very expensive caps.
The same for the snubber caps, which I recommend small (100V rating) MKT caps. These are ultra cheap.
Bigger, fancier polyprops have much higher inductance and we don't want that here.

You know... for the big electrolythics I always have good results with Philips/BC caps.
And there's a brand that's not expensive (compared to some 'boutique' brands) but for me all their caps are very good: Roederstein.

Carlos,

I appreciate your answer, but still...

I like the sound from the Nichicons alot and would like to stick with them if they will affect the sound in a snubber.

My question is do the caps in the snubber circuit acutually have an affect on the characteristics of the sound output?

If all values remain constant, will I notice a tonal difference between different caps???

If so, I would prefer to use Nichicon Super Through caps unless there is a specific objection to these.

Thanks,
Dominick

Dominick22 said:
Carlos,

I appreciate your answer, but still...

I like the sound from the Nichicons alot and would like to stick with them if they will affect the sound in a snubber.

My question is do the caps in the snubber circuit acutually have an affect on the characteristics of the sound output?

If all values remain constant, will I notice a tonal difference between different caps???

If so, I would prefer to use Nichicon Super Through caps unless there is a specific objection to these.

Thanks,
Dominick

Of course good caps sound better, but you will find much less difference between caps if you use snubbers.
The best caps you should use near the chip.
Nichicon has good caps, but I never tried those 'Gold Tune' series.
Are they similar to the 'Fine gold'? I've used some of these, but not on a power amp.

Carlos,

To be honest, I don't have much experiance with caps. I am limited to a few panasonics and a few more Nichicons.

I can tell you that in my older amp, I switched regular 5600uf Nichicons with 4700uf Gold Tune Nichicons, And I don't ever want to go back. Now, I want to try the Super Through's by Nichicon becuase they are supposed to be a step up from the gold tune from what I can tell.

I highly reccomend them although I am an amateur. I am sure you will try them! You seem to have a soft spot for "trial and error" tinkering! Most of us on here probably do including me.

Exact difference?
To me, the s and sh sound were much improved. Many times I have heard stereo's destroy the natural chacteristics of these sounds. While my amp is still not perfect. It is much closer to the natural s sounds becuase of these caps.
By s sound I am talking about when a singer sings a word with a hard s in the beginning or ending of the word.

Hope this helps, It is one of the few things I may be able to offer to you!:rolleyes:

Dominick

Carlos,

Really? No "Sibilance"??

I have never heard a system that had perfect playback of ALL "s" like sounds. Your system must sound incredible.

I have a Martin Logan speaker system which is the closest I have heard to a perfect vocal match playback.

It isn't perfect which is why I am now trying to build my own amps.

Tell me about your system that has "No sibilance". What is it comprised of and what speakers are you running?

Dominick

Dominick, no crossover in the sensitive midband is what you get: no sibilance, natural voices, midband to :bawling: for.
Courtesy Epos ES11 speakers, AD815 pre, LM3886 power amp, PMD100+AD1862 dac for CD, Pioneer DV-575 universal for SACD/DVD-A (with a good clock+PSU, dedicated analog stage+PSU, etc, etc, etc...), 2sk170 jfet discrete phono pre, Rega Elys cartridge...
Only the very worst recordings and very close miked ones (Diana Krall has the vice of swallowing the microphone) you notice a little sibilance.
I like to hear the tongue and the breathing of the singers.
It's all there, and it doesn't scratch. :cool:

tobias_svensk said:
My worries to Carlos, the heatsinks may be to small?

The biggest that would fit that footprint has a spec: 8 °K/W hm..

What's the dimentions of your board?
I prefer to use a bigger single heatsink (from side to side of the board) for the two regs.
Place the regs where you have fins on the back of the heatsink.
You have some examples on that second (6Mb!) pdf.

You may have to make some small changes to the board, but nothing much. It can increase a couple of cm in size, no?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.