LM338 regulated snubberized PSU for audio amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi !

Long time I read this fantastic DYA forum and lern so much. But this is my first post, my English is too poor, sory !

10 minutes ago I finished first haf of regulated PSU and try it.

My tor. trafo from old amp is 2 x 41 V ,to high. After rec. and cap I hawe 61 V, on reg. output - 30V. It work, this is good thing.

Problem is - R1, 2.2K 2W after 1 minute of work is wery,wery hot. I think 61V is too much.
What walue of R1 need for tfis voltage, or samthing diferent way ?
Whatfor is R1? Mayby simply eleminate it ?

Zigis.

Thank You, Carlos for reply !

Wen I try new PS, I partly use old PS board width diodes and small ceramic caps. This give my output 41 V.

Now I desolder trafo and find 2 pairs of 2 x 24 V, twisted midlpoint. So, I think, I must use 1 half of each pair. So, I will get 2 x 24 independent. Ather half of each pair remind unused.

Is 24 V too low for 30 V reg. ? If so,wich R must chainge to lower V out.?

Zigis.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Zigis said:
Now I desolder trafo and find 2 pairs of 2 x 24 V, twisted midlpoint. So, I think, I must use 1 half of each pair. So, I will get 2 x 24 independent. Ather half of each pair remind unused.

Hi Zigis,

If you can unwind the "twisted midlpoint" so you'll get 2 independant secondaries. You can then wire them in parallel to get double the current capacity.

regards

Cant 30 VDC be made
in a more simple way,
than using 27 Transistors ?
:)

This is the number inside LM388.
See schematic - and this is a simplified diagram!

Attachments

• lm388.png
    lm388.png
    40.4 KB · Views: 917
Hi !

I still tray to make my PS.

I hawe 25V AC at each rail.

First rail hawe 32V on C1 and 30V output.I now,ther is too small headroom,but it work.

Second rail have 28V on C1 and 25V output.Wen I disconect reg.,on C1 is 32V.
I doble chek evrything,but can not find mistake.

Help !

Zigis.

@ carlosfm

Thanks for the schematic. I've just etched a PCB for your regPSU (basing on the Eagle file kindly shared by Tobias) and I'm now trying to figure out which parts I'll have to order.

When you updated your schematic back in August, you changed this:

330nF from V+ to V- pins
0.47R/1W + 47nF snubbers just before these caps

to this:

3.3µF from V+ to V- pins
0.1R/1W + 3.3nF snubbers just before these caps

In revision 1.1, I found the 0.47R resistor and the 47nF cap in the schematic and thought (erroneously?) that these were the parts that you mentioned in the text. In revision 1.2, the schematic stayed unchanged, but the values in the text have changed. Does that mean that the parts in the schematic and the parts mentioned in the text are not identical and that I have to add another R and C on the GC board?

I must admit that I'm a bit confused as to which part goes where.

Where do I place the 3.3µF from V+ to V- pins? Which pins?

I hope that you can help me with that. Thanks.

Peter

Nuuk said:
Carlos will answer when he has stopped celebrating. :D

:cloud9:

jpg said:
Where do I place the 3.3µF from V+ to V- pins? Which pins?

Seems like your are watching only one part of the movie.
Here's the amp.
Yes, there are snubbers on the amp board too, and the 3.3uF film cap goes between the voltage rails (V+ to V-).

Attachments

• cfm ni lm3886_v4.png
    cfm ni lm3886_v4.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 863
OK,

I know Carlos has little patience for guys like me so I will pose this question to anyone and hope for a willing DIYer, not that Carlos isn't...

I am interested new to this world but I am building my second LM4780 amp. Actually, it is 2 LM4780 chips paralleled per channel. I am interested in regulating and snubberizing the entire amp.

Each channel will be running off of a 400VA 22V Transformer for the two chips in each channel.

QUESTION: Which (if any) snubber network/regulated power supply should I use from Carlos' vast collection?

I have found quite a few that he has put out there!LOL

Thanks,
Dominick

Dominic, it's not that Carlos has 'little patience', more than he doesn't have an infinite amount of time to try every possible combination of snubber values! :att'n:

He has shown enough here to allow people to try different values and see if they are better or worse for themselves.

For your application, you could start off with any of the snubberised PSU's that Carlos has published and then try tweaking them by changing resistor or cap values. ;)

Thanks nuuk,

I didn't mean to imply that "little patience" was a negative cut-down. I simply meant that I realize many people are lobbying for his attention and I would probably just be another nagging newb.

You say try any of the snubs/power regulators...

but which are most current?

If someone could reply with the 2 schematics that would be best suited for my application...I would be very thankful.

Since I am still learning, it is very difficult for me to make any sort of educated decision. I would be drawing a number out of a hat!

Hoping,
Dominick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.