LM338 regulated snubberized PSU for audio amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It was not my intention to start an argument. I only wanted to add some fire to the discussion, that would not necessary need to end up in an argument.

Fair enough Peter. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. But, again with respect, perhaps you need to get your diplomacy skills up to the same standard as your case building! ;)

If you read though this thread, and the other snubberized thread, you will see that Carlos is more than a little irritated by the nature (and number) of the comments about his use of the snubbers. So the last thing that was needed was a 'bit of fire'.

I'm sick and tired that people cannot express their opinions on this forum without being attacked by other members, and this what exactly happenned here.

If you want to make comments, nobody is stopping you but note how I expressed my view of the snubberized PSU. It's quite OK to make comments but we must all understand that we have differing personalities, come from different cultures and have a host of other differences that means we need to think carefully before hitting those keys!

He may be one of the other influential "personalities" here, on a chip amp forum, but he definitely has to adjust his behaviour while interacting with other members.

That could apply to all of us!

Now where is Kofi Annan when you want him? :D

Nuuk said:

Fair enough Peter. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. But, again with respect, perhaps you need to get your diplomacy skills up to the same standard as your case building! ;)

There shouldn't be any doubts, my intentions were indeed friendly.

As you remeber, I had some previous arguments with Carlos, I was just curious if it can be any different this time, that's why not too much diplomacy on my side. Well, as we've seen it, things didn't change much.

Peter Daniel said:
There shouldn't be any doubts, my intentions were indeed friendly.

Actually I don't think so.
I didn't like your introduction as a fire-starter.
You should respect who originates the boards you sell (or sold, doesn't matter), who made the schematic after spending losts of time with tests, thinkin', calculations... even if you don't like the design.

I admit (and welcome) your oppinion if you lower the tone, and do not think that your system is an example for most.
I challenge you to make as I did: take your low-cap "gainclone" to a distributor friend of yours, as I did, and test as many commercial speakers as you can.
Change speaker cables if you are confused and test them all over again.
You will be horrified because your amp will work with a very very few percentage of the speakers.
In fact, it will sound bad to very bad with most.
I've been there, done this.
Yes, I have much better results with snubberized (high-cap. or regulated) PSUs on my system, with my speakers.
Because I don't design my speakers to go with a particular amp.
I prefer the approach to make an amp that sounds very good almost everywhere.
So, concluding this, I will say that these PSUs are a big step in quality to the amp, for most people, with most speakers, on most systems.
I don't test a system with choral music, and this is not the type of music I listen to.
Transparency with control is what I aim, and even calm music sometimes has a kick in the drum.
If it resonates through the room as untight bass, it's not good.

Peter Daniel said:
As you remeber, I had some previous arguments with Carlos, I was just curious if it can be any different this time, that's why not too much diplomacy on my side. Well, as we've seen it, things didn't change much.

Not too much diplomacy on your side, that's why you had my reaction the way you did.
I'm very tired of stupid arguments and childish behaviours on this place.

carlosfm said:

I challenge you to make as I did: take your low-cap "gainclone" to a distributor friend of yours, as I did, and test as many commercial speakers as you can.
Change speaker cables if you are confused and test them all over again.
You will be horrified because your amp will work with a very very few percentage of the speakers.
In fact, it will sound bad to very bad with most.
I've been there, done this.

I've been there, done that too. I'm selling those amps and those kits, and I know the response they produce. If things were very bad, I would have surely changed the design by now.

I've been working with a new Canadian company, that manufacturers active speakers: http://soundfusion.ca They actualy use my power modules, based on chip amps.

I presented them a regulated and with snubberized PS option, and those were very quickly dismissed, as producing undesirable effect and being inferior. Only the basic, small cap supply can sound acceptably in that very high end environment. ;)

For the record, I never sold a board that was originated by you.

http://www.basaudio.net/various.htm

Another bad example!!!!

There are many who don't like to order via credit card or paypal. This way I provide a service to folks here in the Netherlands.

They are BrianGT's boards and he has recognized Carlos's contributions and has his name on the boards... and I mention that they are Carlos's design. I paid for the boards. So please explain to me what is the problem.

Bas Horneman said:

There are many who don't like to order via credit card or paypal. This way I provide a service to folks here in the Netherlands.

They are BrianGT's boards and he has recognized Carlos's contributions and has his name on the boards... and I mention that they are Carlos's design. I paid for the boards. So please explain to me what is the problem.

Well, I might argue that BrianGT non/inverted LM3875 GainClone PCB is also my board, as I designed the amp's section of it.

If you check chipamp.com site, you will notice under International orders section the following:

"LM3875 products: Visit www.audiosector.com for LM3875 kits for international orders" , which is a part of agreement I have with Brian.

If you only have 4 boards to sell, it's OK with me, but if you want to do that on permanent basis, at least somebody should have asked me if I agree.

There is already a UK agent for chipamp products, if this will spread to all European countries, I might be well out of business.

If you only have 4 boards to sell, it's OK with me, but if you want to do that on permanent basis, at least somebody should have asked me if I agree.

Hi Peter,

Fair enough. I'll never order another batch again.

But explain this to me. I bought these for the same price everyone else pays for them...In what way do you lose out?

"LM3875 products: Visit www.audiosector.com for LM3875 kits for international orders"
Just for posterity....When was this done? I can't remember reading that when I ordered.

Cheers,
Bas

Stagnant????

Well, maybe that is because a lot of people have been turned off by the actions and attiudes of a handful fo self-claimed know-it-alls, who can't seem to do anything but steal others' work, flog it off as their design, and try to make money with it.

Others come here to exchange ideas......some of which may be off the wall, but that is the DIY spirit. It seems very strange that some of those ideas attacked are being employed by some of the same people who attacked them.

I realise that not everyone here is a native English speaker. I am constantly amazed by how many folks across the globe can communicate in it so well. But it seems that only the same handful try to use "I'm not a native English speaker" as an excuse for their actions. Sorry, but it doesn't pass the sniff test.

Back to the usual mud slinging without my further assistance.

Jocko.......off to make money playing in real honest Texas mud.........fixing broken lawn sprinklers.

Bas Horneman said:

In what way do you lose out?

"LM3875 products: Visit www.audiosector.com for LM3875 kits for international orders"
Just for posterity....When was this done? I can't remember reading that when I ordered.

Cheers,
Bas

If you don't buy from me.

This was done couple weeks after this year started. This is also when we and Brian do accounting in separate ways, and have separate sites.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.