Live sound specific Tapped Horn thread...

just wondering what you think of this design

Attachments

• horn.jpg
    horn.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 694
Your sketch is a very complex cabinet. It would be a challenge to model it in AKABAK.

Since the middle of 2007, everyone here has used HornResp or AKABAK to simulate their cabinets. Tapped horns are so complex
that it is a waste of time to start by drawing cabinets.

HornResp requires 5 cabinet parameters and 7 driver parameters minimum, that are interdependent. Akabak can handle more
complex designs, but it requires a much greater learning curve.

@cscarrots
It looks like the driver on the right is mounted on a closed enclosure, is that right? If so, this would be a combination of a tapped horn and a closed box. The left driver is working on a TH while the pressure of the front side of the left driver ist influenced by the second cone in the CB.
Maybe it´s meant to be different. Could you shead some light on what you intended?

Don Snyder said:
Your sketch is a very complex cabinet. It would be a challenge to model it in AKABAK.

Since the middle of 2007, everyone here has used HornResp or AKABAK to simulate their cabinets. Tapped horns are so complex
that it is a waste of time to start by drawing cabinets.

HornResp requires 5 cabinet parameters and 7 driver parameters minimum, that are interdependent. Akabak can handle more
complex designs, but it requires a much greater learning curve.

I've already modeled this in Akabak. Its not difficult at all. I played with ithis model for a few days. The biggest problem is trying to get the phase of that second woofer's cone back to sum with its cone front and the other woofer. I was not able to get very good results. If anyone is interested I can post the script. Let me know.

Rgs, JLH

FlipC said:
So driver doesn't matter. Only box volume. Since the Th 115 is 420 Lt or less. This is the goal to match performance wise.
This isn't too far off, I've used 2 x Eminence 4012's as I have these drivers. The 4015 is a better driver as it have almost twice the xmax of the 4012 (11mm over 6mm i think).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I guess it could be split into two smaller boxes for easier lifting as the 4012's are heavy drivers.

Another option would be to leave the box dual driver, but use a JLH style compression chamber...

Into Battle We Goooooooooo!

I had a moment today to get a pic.
Now that they sound like something we'll see how the week goes.
Cheers for now till I can get a day to put all the info together.

There are grilles on them but they are hard to see..
I used vinyl coated 1/2 inch square pet fencing and painted it black. Very transparent sonically. Adequate protection.
Trick is to fold the edge all around by one square for a solid mounting.
Theres a slightly blurry first night pic too. I need a new camera!

Attachments

• screamerth2.jpg
    screamerth2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 886
I have them crossed over at 115.
I use a behringer dcx2496 digial with a butterworth 48db cut on both ends and a narrow 38hz boost at 3 db.
You NEED cabinets that go down to 100hz to make it all work right. I'll probably have to build 15" tops to get it right.
Everyone loves the sound of the system.
Much to my amazement, I got crap for it not bieng loud enough.
Turns out the TH design does take more power without blowing the driver...It was scary cranking it for 6 hours straight with 1000 watts per 450w cabinet.
Looks like I need 6 total to be safe but these three have survived a full week of hardcore combat duty so far.
:xeye:

For those who know: This place is starting to get like CBGB. I'm pushing the system hard enough that I'll need to get it up to,
6 th subs stacked, 8 tops, 3 exciters, 2 delays.
ugggh, like I don't have enough work already.:dead: :smash:

To add to what GM said. I remember a small crowd at one of Bruce Edgar's demos complaining he didn't have enough power and it wasn't loud enough. Bruce tried to explain to them that low distortion systems don't tend to sound louder as you turn them up, but only more dynamic. This is especially true for systems that have low stored energy. A quick check of the SPL meter in peak hold mode revealed 118dB peaks at the listening position, but they still complained it wasn't loud enough. :dead: Live and learn I guess.

Rgs, JLH

1000 watts per 3015lf?! according to hornresp you would be WAY out of linear excursion at that point. how was excursion lookin in real life though is the real question im after! everything look like it was within linear?

this was with rock music yes? surely the result would be different had it been reproducing bass synth sounds?

very impressive system though, its a shame i live too far to hear it :(

Nice to see you back around Screamer.
Looking good.

And yes xstephanx
I would say there wasn't a square wave going through them. Dance music is a beast all in itself.

And not loud enough?
You were pushing 8-10K watts total? Jeez. Sides what GM said (is that why Americans like Mackie?) maybe it was the freq range you run those subs at? Missing the 100-300 range? That attack on the kick drum?

MikeHunt79
I actually had decided on a dual 12" TH myself.
Though using a different driver. 400 Lt. Soon as it warms up a bit I will start on it.

screamersusa said:
I have them crossed over at 115.
I use a behringer dcx2496 digial with a butterworth 48db cut on both ends and a narrow 38hz boost at 3 db.
You NEED cabinets that go down to 100hz to make it all work right.
Nice, I'll keep that in mind. I've not built my mids yet, and I'm using slightly different drivers compared to the plans, so my mids might hit 100Hz once I get them built and measured. :) I'm halfway thru 1 mid, it's taking longer than planned due to rain... :(
FlipC said:
MikeHunt79
I actually had decided on a dual 12" TH myself.
Though using a different driver. 400 Lt. Soon as it warms up a bit I will start on it.
Nice, I've been looking at loads of different drivers, and have been playing around with 12's and 15's... The only downside I can see of a dual 12" box is that it will be a little heavy, but this may not be a problem for you.

Also, I've found that Eminence drivers aren't really cheap in the UK compared to higher specced ones from Euro makers such as Ciare, PD etc...

The PD1550 caught my eye today, High BL, 8mm xmax isn't bad either... I'll sim it tomorrow as it's 1am now!

:dead: