Linn LP12 first mod?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What does "But it beats the felt accross the board" mean? You know I'm not british native, and don't get the meaning of this sentence. Is that is much better than the felt?

--------------------------------------------------------------
Means better in every respect.

Non Slip Mat

analog_sa said:

Yes, i like it. It adds more body to the sound, improves bass attack and timing. It may have a bit less air than the felt but that's minor.

Yes, that's it.
The attack and timing seem to give much cleaner, crisper transients; but note in particular, that as well as things starting quicker and cleaner, they also stop better.
Try Brubeck's Unsquare Dance to see what I mean. With the felt mat, the rapid percussion seems a bit blurred together and overlaps, whereas the non slip mat separates it all out.

I'd say these are 'macro' level effects.

Note this, re the comment of a bit less air. The Cetech subchassis gives a massive increase in resolution of low level detail, including air etc. The two things are complementary IMHO, the mat at the macro level and the chassis at the micro level.
I'd take a pre Cirkus Linn Valhalla with this mat and Cetech rather than a latest spec Lingo Linn any day.

My LP12/Cirkus/Pink Linnk/Cetech/non felt mat/Moerch DP-6/Lyra Evolve really isn't bad. I had a shootout vs an SME20/SME V/Lyra Evolve recently and it stood up pretty well. Yes, the SME had more detail and dynamics, a more solid bass, better in every technical way. But I'm not sure that it was more enjoyable for all that; it didn't make the Linn any less enjoyable and certainly didn't make me want to sell the Linn and rush out and buy an SME.

Even so, I kind of agree with Frank's comments above on the Linn.

And I'm seriously considering a Teres ... very seriously!

And I'm seriously considering a Teres ... very seriously!

So was i until recently. I had an extended audition to an all - acrylic deck similar to the Teres and my desire is considerably diminished. The sound was almost cd-like in precision and lack of emotion. I'd rather live with Linn's limitations than with a crystal clear but lifeless glass wonder. The wooden plattered Teres is probably a very different animal.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

The sound was almost cd-like in precision and lack of emotion. I'd rather live with Linn's limitations than with a crystal clear but lifeless glass wonder. The wooden plattered Teres is probably a very different animal.

Whether the platter is made out of wood or charcoal for that matter isn't really crucial.

If it doesn't convey the emotion (PRAT, remember?) then either something's probably wrong in the speed department or the cartridge is one of those overly clinical jobs a la Clear Audio.

Makes you wonder how they actually go about making a cartridge sound like that in the first place...:scratch:

As for some other so called High-End gear being sick in the same bed....don't get me started.

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.