Line level buffer: discrete or ICs based?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So now I only need to figure out how to properly route the buffer itself and then merge the two PCBs.

BTW, thanks for the invitation to the non modular PCB design committee.
Let's see if I'll fit the requirements with my design:)

Thanks all of you guys for help! It is really appreciated.
I hope I'll succeed with your guidance.

Oleg

I am back with redesigned PCB. Please see attached. Please let me know if this version is at least closer to what it should look like?

Regards,
Oleg

Attachments

• OpAmpBufferSch.png
    OpAmpBufferSch.png
    15 KB · Views: 360
  • OpAmpBuffer.png
    OpAmpBuffer.png
    94.9 KB · Views: 353
  • OpAmpBufferBottom.png
    OpAmpBufferBottom.png
    38.5 KB · Views: 355
I have finally dropped the idea of extra gain and stopped at a unity gain buffer configuration. It simplified the matter a lot. Now I can use a complete ground plane. The new (and I hope the final) version of the buffer PCB is attached.

Please comment!

Regards,
Oleg

Attachments

• OpAmpBuffer.png
    OpAmpBuffer.png
    65 KB · Views: 320
No, I did not. That is why I'm trying to complete my project. I also have designed a small B1 buffer PCB (attached) which can be used with the PSU shown in above posts but I doubt that my listening tests (assuming that all works at all) will be conclusive... but who knows!? So I have same problem as you.

Attachments

• B1BufferPCB.png
    B1BufferPCB.png
    147.4 KB · Views: 293
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Oleg,
Heat is the enemy of all things, semiconductors are sensitive to heat. If you don't need to run at 18V, then don't. 15 VDC is reasonable, but if everything else is running from 5 VDC rails you could even drop it to 10 VDC without losing performance. Check the data sheet for the LME49990 to see where the performance starts to drop off and hang just above that point as long as your signal will not get close to your supplies.

-Chris

Most of questions that I ask are because of the lack of experience. I can pretty well understand the datasheet info and also suggestions/advises given here on the forum. But the true art is in the correct handling of exceptions by making the right compromises and here only experience can help which I don't have. So you guys are really helpful by sharing your knowledge.

Regards,
Oleg

Just Married!

After a lot of doubts I have finally combined the PSU and the buffer together. I really like what it looks like now but it is mostly from aesthetic point of view:) I have no idea what kind of performance to expect from this combination but soon I'll have a chance to try it.

If someone sees obvious mistakes/problems with the PCB please let me know.

Regards,
Oleg

Attachments

• SymmetricLDOPSU.Buffer.png
    SymmetricLDOPSU.Buffer.png
    113.6 KB · Views: 243
  • SymmetricLDOPSU.Buffer2.png
    SymmetricLDOPSU.Buffer2.png
    44.5 KB · Views: 230
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.