Life After the Oil Crash

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
speaker said:
Are you going to continue modifying your question until you get an answer that supports your premise?

speaker

I guess the answer depends on the definition of "vehicle". If you change it arbitrarily, you can end up finding that a big CAT engine is the most environmentally friendly engine, :).

Now, going back to Smart, I have owned a US car that is far more environmentally friendly (it is a ford vehicle actually). and I am sure some GM vehicles can outdo the Smart both in performance and in emission.

A good friend of mine is a chief engineer at fuel cell company that, among others, design fuel cell vehicles. Other than greenhouse-causing water vapor, it is entirely environmentally friendly.

Of course, assuming that you can recycle the deadly electrods and membrane, :)

The big lie about fuel cells is that they they are enviromentally friendly when they spew tons of green house gas(water vapor, the most proliffic of the green house gases) and Hydogen isn't found in ones back pocket. It requires huge amounts of energy to produce. Monstly fosil fuels.

The only place I would drive that pooky little 3L is on a golf course. My big 5.9L gas hog sometimes gets to pull my 6000 pound boat (That gets less than 2 miles per gallon). And when it does, It's a glorious sound holding each gear to 5000 RPM at WOT. I enjoy watching the temp gauge climb a few degrees getting up to highway speeds as I dump gallons of gas down the cylinders.

Those who buy into the global warming lie are free to conserve till the feel goosebombs of happyness all over there body. And I'll continue doing what makes me happy. Everyone seems to have an opinion, and I doubt that anyone is going to change anyone elses mind. It's like trying to teach Palistinians it's wrong to kill people on school buses and in malls.;)

Brian Donaldson said:
It's a lie beacuse it is a intentional deciet based on inadequate data and unproven assumptions.

Strange how only those countries that have a reliance on fossil fuels promote this argument...

There is also no doubt about the science, the only people that deny global warming are sponsored by Governments or companies that would be affected by legislation.

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
pinkmouse said:
Strange how only those countries that have a reliance on fossil fuels promote this argument...

name 5 countries that don't promote this argument, and try to persude them to shut off their petro supplies.

:)

I will bet my next paycheck that you will achieve exactly nothing there.

What does that mean for your statement above?

I hope people actually think through their arguments before wasting the time to type them up.

Pollution.......what pollution????

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

malaysia-twintowers-haze-bg.jpg

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I'm not at all in favor of polution. My big van gets an anual inspection that includes exaust gass annalysis and it passes with flying colors. Of the unburned HC, NOx, and CO, It produces less than 5% of the state benchmark.

Ozone. Where is the science behind the claims in the EPA crap you posted. Correct me if I'm wrong, but ground level ozone like upper atmosphere ozone is created by sunlight converting O2 into O3. Since when is O2 a polutant emitted by cars. And don't give me any lip about seeing it on the website. Any dimwit with a 486 and $40.00 can put whatever they want on a website. Give me a chemical equation where gasses emited by an internal combustion engine recombine to form ozone. Smog from poorly maintained cars would actually protect us from ozone. (not that I'm advocating smog)
I would bet that ground level ozone was higher prior to industrialization and it was first measured and tracted in the 70's and has been on the rise since we have been cleaning up air polution.

Brian Donaldson said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but ground level ozone like upper atmosphere ozone is created by sunlight converting O2 into O3.

No your wrong

Ground level ozone is formed by a photochemical reaction between oxygen and pollutants ie. volatile organic compounds (solvents, hydrocarbons ect.) and nitrogen oxides (nitric oxide, nitrogen dioxide) in the presence of sunlight

VOC's and NOx's come from industry and cars
They act as a catalyst and create ground level ozone

Ozone in the upper atmosphere is created when highly energetic solar radiation (U.V) Hits O2 molecules breaking them down and then reforming as O3 and vice versa in a continuos cycle that converts U.V radiation into infrared radiation (heat)

Brian Donaldson said:

Since when is O2 a polutant emitted by cars

Huh :scratch:

Brian Donaldson said:

Smog from poorly maintained cars would actually protect us from ozone. (not that I'm advocating smog)

Ground level ozone is a significant component of smog (not a suprise, thats where its made)

Brian Donaldson said:

I would bet that ground level ozone was higher prior to industrialization and it was first measured and tracted in the 70's and has been on the rise since we have been cleaning up air polution.

Could you explane please? that makes no sence what so ever

Who discoverd ozone and when?

Roibm
It's been 12 months since my last inspection, and I can't recall what they are, But Ill try to get it done this week and post later.

B.
I call Bullcrap
O2 is O2. If there is a different reaction that produces it at ground level, state it. Laser printers, photo copyers, brush type electric motors and arc welders make it from O2. What components of smog are used to make ozone and are the propsed byproducts represented in the atmosphere in proportion when the ozone concetration high?

Brian Donaldson said:

I call Bullcrap

Oh diddims

Brian Donaldson said:

O2 is O2.

Wow thats amasing :bigeyes:

Brian Donaldson said:

If there is a different reaction that produces it at ground level, state it.

I did

Brian Donaldson said:

Laser printers, photo copyers, brush type electric motors and arc welders make it from O2.

Yes they do, ozone is that metalic smell, whats your piont?

Brian Donaldson said:

What components of smog are used to make ozone....

VOC's and NOx's acting as catalysts

VOC + NO --> NO2 + products NO2 + h --> (<430nm) ? NO + O O + O2 + M --> O3 + M

(M chemically inactive collision partner)

Brian Donaldson said:

.....and are the propsed byproducts represented in the atmosphere in proportion when the ozone concetration high?

Yes