Life After the Oil Crash

millwood said:
what makes you think so? :)

A lot of americans that own diesel cars are being laugh at. This is beside the major dificulties they encount maintaining their diesel cars(the fuel being the biggest problem).
See www.tdiclub.com and some other forums.

Then again, what do you know about this matters?

millwood said:
for your VW fans, you can lease a Phaeton for the price of a 530. VW is losing about $10K a Phaeton.
a very good deal for such an expensive car.

what is your point about vw? prove something, d@mn it.

millwood said:
sorry that you missed it.
Dear millwood,

No, I did not miss it. You brought a point not knowing what you are talking about.

You talk about Phaeton, but do you understand what is the target of the Phaeton? Did VW ever target that market previously? Is it normal to sell a new product cheaper(in order to acquire the market)...?

"Detroit's dirty little secret is that a lot of its cars don't make any money."
http://www.forbes.com/2003/10/06/cx_dl_1006feat.html
They, unlike VW are not losing money on top of the range. The are losing money on the side that hurts the most.

What did you just prove again? :cool:

roibm said:

Dear millwood,

No, I did not miss it. You brought a point not knowing what you are talking about.

You talk about Phaeton, but do you understand what is the target of the Phaeton? Did VW ever target that market previously? Is it normal to sell a new product cheaper(in order to acquire the market)...?

"Detroit's dirty little secret is that a lot of its cars don't make any money."
http://www.forbes.com/2003/10/06/cx_dl_1006feat.html
They, unlike VW are not losing money on top of the range. The are losing money on the side that hurts the most.

What did you just prove again? :cool:

People who live in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones.....

Germany's dirty little secret is that overall, their car companies are hemorrhaging in the USA. It is doubtful VW even had a target in mind for the Phaeton (or the Golf V for that matter). VW is in enormous trouble here with sales off nearly 27% vs. last year. They have had to idle their new plant in Mexico because of this. Further, Audi is off nearly 7% and is in competition with its own sister VW with the Phateon & W8 Passats. Neat, fight to the death, winner take all, business model there!

BMW had their first decline in nearly 5 years as the horrid looking Banglewagens finally caught up with them and put them down 4%. Fortunately for them, a 4% slide is pretty good compared to everyone else. Mercedes, is off 6%, (however Chrysler USA posted a robust increase of nearly 12%). Only Porsche posted any growth whatsoever with a staggering increase of nearly 49%! That increase is based solely on the Cayenne, a V8 SUV of which they had a, phenomenal and unheard of, 366% increase in volume over the year before. Nicely done Porsche!

However, none of the German car manufacturers are doing little if anything to promote fuel economy technologies here. They don't even attempt to educate on what the merits of diesel may be. The only time diesel comes up is in "discussions" such as this, the German contingent gets up in a high dudgeon or Reichparteitag, and says "Diesels are great and you're too stupid to appreciate them!".

Tell that to Toyota & Honda who have discovered the US to be fertile territory for fuel efficient vehicles and are selling as many as they can produce putting Toyota as the #1 car company here. Toyota's Prius hybrid posted a 49% increase last year to this and they've just licensed their hybrid technology to Ford. Later this year Ford will release an SUV that gets 38MPG!

You are lacking when it comes to discussing what is happening in our market when it comes to cars. That doesn't seem to stop you however from discussing it.

speaker

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
speaker said:
BMW had their first decline in nearly 5 years as the horrid looking Banglewagens finally caught up with them and put them down 4%.

speaker

we thought about getting a 5-series sedan but decided to wait for the next generation of it because of the new banglewagen design.

A friend of mine just traded in a 7-series with that iDrive thing and discovered that the market demand a discount for that very feature he paid a premium for.

Bangle essentially turned a wonderful brand into a vehicle people are afraid to be seen in.

millwood said:

why do anyone with any concerns about the environment and our reliance on petro-energy buy such a diesel gazzler? When people in Africa cannot afford to have a half decent meal, you will be driving down the highways (how many trees did they cut down to build that highway?).

That's about as tenuous as tenuous gets.There are many factors to consider when it comes to the parlous state of Africa but the driving habits of the northern hemisphere is not one of them.

ray.

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
speaker said:
Tell that to Toyota & Honda who have discovered the US to be fertile territory for fuel efficient vehicles
speaker

I guess some of us doesn't know that other than big fat diesel-powered vehicles there are alternative ways to save the environment.

Wait, those are the same people promoting wind mills as the "environmentally friendly" solutions.

or are they the same people claiming converting to electric vehicles will save the environment?

or ...

:)

speaker said:
Are you going to continue modifying your question until you get an answer that supports your premise?
Sorry dear, look at the context to ustand what I meant to express by using the word vehicle.
I am not saying SY is wrong, just that it happends I wan't referring to that kind of vehicle.

The thing is that with some of you here it's useless to discuss serious matters since you don't care at all.

roibm said:
Name an environment friendlier vehicle than a 3L diesel

You're joking, right? Even if we define "vehicle" as "widely used private automobile", the vast majority of vehicles are less damaging to the environment that a 3L diesel. My American-made 1.9L gas engine usually gets around 40 mpg (that's about 5.8 L/100km), and can do even better on long trips.

And, yes, I'm sure you'd leave me choking in your exhaust in the quarter mile, but that's not what you asked.

Rob M said:
You're joking, right? Even if we define "vehicle" as "widely used private automobile", the vast majority of vehicles are less damaging to the environment that a 3L diesel. My American-made 1.9L gas engine usually gets around 40 mpg (that's about 5.8 L/100km), and can do even better on long trips.

And, yes, I'm sure you'd leave me choking in your exhaust in the quarter mile, but that's not what you asked.

Please don't get mad. Really, there is no reason.
I am not joking, it is just you that doesn't know what a 3L diesel engine is.

roibm said:

Please don't get mad. Really, there is no reason.

Do I seem mad? Don't worry, I'm not, it's just the nature of the medium. Here, does this help?

:) :) :) :)

I am not joking, it is just you that doesn't know what a 3L diesel engine is.

Well, the words "3L diesel engine" are pretty unambiguous in English, but it occurs to me that you probably aren't a native English speaker, which might be the source of the problem. Are you maybe referring to this?

http://smart.com/-snm-0135155096-10...e/smart/smartimdetail/oekologie/das3literauto

That's only a 3 liter car in German. In English it would be a 800cc car. Yeah, you're right, I'd be hard pressed to find a car much more environmentally friendly than that!