'LGT' Construction Diary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Shin,

inspiring design and execution,

I think these should sound fantastic and regardless of that you should win an award for the great DIY industrial design.

Have you considered just using the lower half and tweeter unit of left and right design for the center channel. Would probably be a perfect a match as you could have. But it does require a certain height for the monitor or screen.

Keep up the good work !!

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Hezz said:
Shin,

inspiring design and execution,

I think these should sound fantastic and regardless of that you should win an award for the great DIY industrial design.

Very kind of you to say so Hezz. Thankyou.

Have you considered just using the lower half and tweeter unit of left and right design for the center channel. Would probably be a perfect a match as you could have. But it does require a certain height for the monitor or screen.

Keep up the good work !!

That could be a better way to go rather than the traditional style center. If I did go that route I'd have to truncate it somewhat as there's a projection screen to fit in there somewhere. I'd also probably go with a 2-way using the RAAL 140-15d and a single 6.5" Audiotechnology driver.

ShinOBIWAN said:
The drivers arrived OK and are new units. Excellent service from seller considering I paid for them on Saturday.

That's great news - they look good too!

What's got me interested is that Siegfried Linkwitz is using them in his Orion speakers, so they must be pretty decent units.

Do you know if they could be crossed over passively - possibly in a three way XLS + 6 or 7" mid + tweeter configuration?

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Originally posted by sploo What's got me interested is that Siegfried Linkwitz is using them in his Orion speakers, so they must be pretty decent units.

They're a modern day classic. With almost unique TS parameters and a suitability to tiny enclosures yet still yielding low Q and flat extension to the mid twenties.

They're also obviously well suited to OB usage although it might not be your first choice given the TS specs. Modelling programs also get the predicted response very wrong.

Do you know if they could be crossed over passively - possibly in a three way XLS + 6 or 7" mid + tweeter configuration?

VC inductance is very high at 4.3mH and they have the cone breakup at 500hz. They're best suited to below 100hz IMO. The quad driver 130ltr sealed and 130ltr/14hz tune ported alignments I tried worked well for this subbass region sounding on the ball and tight.

If your crossing no higher than around 150hz then I think they could be well be suited to a 3-way. Active would be the better and preffered option as the inductor size required for a passive cross would be rather large and expensive.

ShinOBIWAN said:

If your crossing no higher than around 150hz then I think they could be well be suited to a 3-way. Active would be the better and preffered option as the inductor size required for a passive cross would be rather large and expensive.

Ah, I knew there was a reason why low frequency passive systems weren't desirable - just couldn't remember it was do to with needing chunky inductors.

To be honest, crossover design is something I have precisely b*gg*r all experience with. I'm just trying to persuade myself to buy some drivers and actually have a play.

I'm planning to mess about with a few sub designs (probably 2 driver, sealed configuration). For a potential three way speaker, my intention would be to cross over with a 6-7" mid/woofer at somewhere between 100 and 200hz.

Thanks for the heads up on the issues with modelling programs BTW.

Ant,

Thanks again for the heads-up on the XLS10's... just placed an order, and looking forward to having a 'play'.

richie00boy said:
Going active also removes a lot of other complex design issues as well as offering better performance.

Yea, I've done quite a bit of reading up on the issues of active vs passive (and even wrote some biquad filter code to try to understand some of the filtering). Without a doubt, active is much, MUCH better.

However, the problem is that if you're looking at potentially selling speakers, it's much easier offering a box, and saying 'plug it into your amp', rather than 'here's the box, and here's the set of amps you'll need, and no, don't connect it to the output of your amp, or if you have an AV receiver with pre-outs then use that etc. etc.'. People tend to look at you like this: :dead:

Yes, mains wiring would have to be approved for commercial sale, don't know how difficult that might be to do though. Hopefully your usual wiring is of a suitable standard so somebody can just check it and pass it.

Those active studio monitors you can buy nearly always use active crossovers. In fact i'm almost sure many of them use the same crossovers we use along with a pair of chip amps.

Haven't posted in this thread yet, don't know why as I've been following it for a while now. AMAZING work your doing! Looks so professional and sleek. Certain its going to sound as good as it looks too, or even better :D . I really want to try and get to the meet and see/hear these. The electronics are looking really interesting too.

MJL21193 said:

Here in Canada we have the CSA which governs electrical safety. The power supply for the self powered speaker would have to be CSA appoved($$). I believe in the US it's a UL rating?
Otherwise, highly illegal.:(

I guess with all the ridiculous sueing going on in the US (I don't know how it is in Canada compared to the US) people will be quite proficient with disclaimers or other CMA's (Cover MY A**). :D

If you consider going commercial, it's just a step to take in order to get your products in the market place. Yes, it costs money, but that's just the consequence of your legal system.

Here in Europe, we have CE. It's a safety label, that is guaranteed for the final product if the parts from which the final product is built are all CE, and the installation is done by an acknowledged technician (i.e., someone with an appropriate diploma). Furthermore, there are organisations like KEMA who can help and test equipment. It's up to the company to take their responsibility seriously.

Problem with UL (and I think also with CSA) is, that it's a stamp of approval from fire insurances. It's got nothing to do with safety. I've seen UL approved switch panels (machine control cabinets) that were deadly if you would get near them. The CMA in that case was a yellow sticker on the cabinet door saying something like "don't open this door". Apparently that's sufficient for court of law, and who cares about a dead person? :rolleyes:

Anyway, this might be a bit off topic. Shin, how are the speakers going??? ;)

fgroen said:

I

Here in Europe, we have CE. It's a safety label, that is guaranteed for the final product if the parts from which the final product is built are all CE, and the installation is done by an acknowledged technician (i.e., someone with an appropriate diploma). Furthermore, there are organisations like KEMA who can help and test equipment. It's up to the company to take their responsibility seriously.

Thats interesting. I was under the impression with mains powered stuff CE testing was needed to get a CE marking. Such as with a TV they will test to destruction. For example they might smash the screen to see how strong it was. i.e. if a kid ran head first in to it not looking where he was going, would he het a head full of glass or just bounce off?

This sort of testing costs thousands, not to mention the cost of destroyed product.

On the other hand maybe something like an amp, if bought as a module and wired to the mains by a qualified person gets a CE marking automatically?

I'd love to know the answer.

CE certification is merely that it is safe for use, electrically and physically, as far as reasonable steps have been taken by the manufacturer. This last bit can be a bit of a get out. Thus it's possible for any manufacturer to self-certify as long as they have a folio of evidence they used good engineering judgement, and a named individual (usually company director) willing to put his signature against it and face any consequences.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
fgroen said:
Anyway, this might be a bit off topic. Shin, how are the speakers going??? ;)

Hi fgroen

I'm still waiting on decent weather. Its June now and there hasn't been a decent day for around 3 weeks now, we had much better weather in March and April! Out of impatience I foolishly decided to try and spray another baffle late last week. I just finished stripping it back yesterday after the finish had gone bad.

So progress is frustratingly slow.

ShinOBIWAN said:

Hi fgroen

I'm still waiting on decent weather. Its June now and there hasn't been a decent day for around 3 weeks now, we had much better weather in March and April! Out of impatience I foolishly decided to try and spray another baffle late last week. I just finished stripping it back yesterday after the finish had gone bad.

So progress is frustratingly slow.

Bummer. Forgot about the dependency of weather due to your spray painting.

Every time I see a notification of this topic, I hope that there are new pics to take my breath away. Truly state of the art work we're looking at.

Here in Holland, it looks like the week-end is going to be nice. Hopefully some of that nice weather will blow over to the UK.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Dr.EM said:
Haven't posted in this thread yet, don't know why as I've been following it for a while now. AMAZING work your doing! Looks so professional and sleek. Certain its going to sound as good as it looks too, or even better :D . I really want to try and get to the meet and see/hear these. The electronics are looking really interesting too.

Thanks Dr.EM :worship:

I just received the amplifier related kitsets today so if the weather doesn't smarten itself up I'll still have something to do.

ShinOBIWAN said:
... the weather doesn't smarten itself up I'll still have something to do.

Tell me about it... nice weather last week (7+ days ago), and the forecast is for a good week from Tuesday.

Guess who's just taken a (very rainy) week off to do some work outside? :(

Note to self... must get rid of that old greenhouse in the garden and make myself a spray booth...

Hey Ant,

Snap! :D

They arrived today, and all seem to work fine. In fact, I wired up a couple of 3" HiVi full range drivers with a pair of the XLS10s (no boxes, no baffles, no crossovers) and, well, it sounded far better than it had any right to!

Attachments

• xls10s.jpg
    xls10s.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 1,012
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.